millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Random comics-related things

The problem is that a lot of the publishers use Diamond even for their bookstore trade distribution. DC and Marvel have only switched within the last 5-10 years. The interruption in cash flow from monthlies and the need to spend more upfront at the same time would probably put just about everyone but the Big 2 (and possibly Top Shelf due to it already being their model) under.

That doesn’t even take into account the devastation it would cause in the LCS market. The vast majority (if not all) would probably cease to exist overnight.

Meanwhile, Marvel continues their 99¢ day and date trade sales. The only one I was interested in is X-Men: Grand Design which I will probably buy anyway due to the oversized format. Maybe that’s the future, making print something special separate from digital.

I’d fully expect the Direct Market to go away. But the Direct Market is not the comics industry, even if it’s a major part of it.

I don’t disagree but it’s enough of a chunk in an industry where a lot of publishers (and in the creator owned segment, creators,) couldn’t handle the interruption. It would likely be DC and Marvel along with whoever else already on the same model. I think even Image would largely disappear.

Full disclosure, I do almost all of my comic purchases day and date digital. I would like to see the LCS continue to exist but digital just works better for me.

I buy most singles digitally these days - except for special cases where I know I’ll want the physical book specifically, like Xerxes this week or the DK3 hardcovers. Even then though, I tend to buy them mail order as I can’t get to my LCS during the week.

The only time I tend to make it to my LCS in person tends to be at a weekend, with the kids in tow. And then we spend as much (probably more) time looking at all the toys and non-comics gubbins.

So I think the LCSs that are evolving to not rely on physical comics are probably doing the right thing.

My LCS has been that way its entire existence. The owner actually calls it a “sci fi/fantasy superstore”. He has comics (new and old), toys, games and more. I think he told me a few years ago that comics account for about 20% of his sales.

I flip through Previews each month and I think the margins for many of those publishers are monomolecular at best. I wouldn’t be surprised if many only sold a hundred or so, tops. I can’t imagine stores taking up valuable shelf space stocking those books. At my LCS, there are subscribers who get books via request and those are the only ones that he orders and that includes some from Marvel and DC.

While I don’t wish ill on anyone, I think the comic book market is due for a correction.

When I started going to Forbidden Planet in Dublin, it was a SF bookshop that also sold comics and a handful of collectibles. When they moved to their bigger premises they really became a toyshop that sells comics, and there’s a few books in the corner there.

I just noticed this on Mark’s twitter, wish I was in Chicago this weekend!

I fully expect a complete YouTube video of Mark’s appearances.

Like that’ll happen.

I think you’ve got the only videocam, Andy! We can’t leave this up to O’Hara!

I’m hoping he’ll give Emerald City Comic-con a shot next spring, there needs to be a Millarworld booth there. :slight_smile:
Come on Mark, just put it on the Netflix credit card! :wink:
Promote, market, repeat. :+1:

Yet another question from my Quora feed:

https://www.quora.com/Who-is-the-most-overpowered-superhero-ever

Is this random enough?

Danielle Solzman @ C2E2
@DanielleSATM
I asked @brianmbendis about how his Jewishness will inform his take on #Superman. @mrmarkmillar jokingly announced Fantastic Foreskin as such. These two guys are living legends #C2E2

The lady is Jamie Capullo.

Do you know him? That question was asked in this panel.

I saw it on the twitter feed and laughed for 5 minutes straight. :smile:

Amber asked to do the trailer for our last Big Daddy and Hit-Girl film, here’s what she came up with.

Interview with the author and excerpts from the book - like this:

The staff at Laughing Ogre, and at shops across the country, let me into their worlds for what turned out to be a tumultuous year, from the summer of 2015 to the summer of 2016. The two major comics publishers, Marvel and DC, did most of the damage, with many new series that did not catch on, relaunches of existing series that often failed to energize sales, and a months long delay for one of the top-selling titles, Marvel’s Secret Wars.

The notable failures were almost all tied to periodical comics, single issues that are sold mainly to people who shop as a weekly habit. In other words, the leading publishers spent the year pissing off some of their most loyal customers and undermining their retailers. And yet, much of the sales slide was offset by growth of independent publishers and by small hits such as Princeless, big hits such as the sci-fi epic Saga, and many in between.

I’ve actually been to the Laughing Orge. It’s a nice shop.

The title’s kind of misleading; it’d be more apt to say a page from each of the 100 most important comic books.

Some great picks in there.

Not surprisingly, most of Marvel’s few nominated series have been cancelled (Black Bolt, Hawkeye, World of Wakanda).