millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Random comics-related things

I’ve been asking myself what happened to Ales Kot, because I noticed searching for trades, that there had been no new output since 2015.

Turns out he literally went off the grid for a while.

Adi Tantimedh: Ales, I was a bit out of the loop at the time, but did you go off to live in the woods for a bit? Was it to get away from it all and think for a bit?

Ales Kot: Yeah, I did. Felt like the right time. I realized I needed the time and space to process the past few years, which were quite rough, and simultaneously also needed the space to be away from the daily sociopathic rhythms of the media and be within enough emptiness to work on a few new projects. I like the woods and the mountains for that; life is simple here. Make fire, take care of food and water, do my thing. If I want to get in touch with someone, I do. If I don’t, that’s that.

Interview from december.

First issue of his new book, Days of Hate, will be coming out in summer. Drawn by Daniel Zezelj, which is cool.

He’s had Generation Gone out monthly from July last year, and a James Bond one-shot last month. He had Wolf in 2015-16 too.

For those who like comics and RPGs, Pinnacle have released settings for The Goon and Fear Agent.

https://www.peginc.com/

I haven’t played (or even read) them so I can’t comment on them specifically, but I do like the Savage Worlds core system so it might be worth a look if you’ve always been desperate to role-play the Goon (or whatever).

What do comics have to do with Rocket Propelled Grenades?

How can you call yourself a comics fan and not know the answer to that question?

Days of Hate is already out Christian

I read the first issue

I don’t think he’s actually gone away, he’s been doing a few things since 2014

I see paul has mentioned a couple above but I think there’s more than that - I’ve tried a few other things I think

He’s also writing a bloodbourne mini at Titan, the first couple issues are out

Brian Hibbs’ annual analysis of comics sales through Bookscan is up at The Beat:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/EDIT-BookScan-17-Top-750.htm

Not surprisingly, the Top 20 are all books aimed at younger readers, with Dav Pilkey getting all of the Top 3 positions, and Raina Telgemeier getting eight of the Top 20 spots.

Saga Vol 7 is the highest “traditional” comics book on the chart, at #29. Marvel’s highest book is Coates’ Black Panther at #54, DC have The Killing Joke at #36.

I’m reading the new Dog Man with my son at the moment and it’s bloody good.

I’m rereading the Hellboy hardcovers and one of the forewords mentioned the prose novels. Has anyone read them before? Any good?

VNone of them are considered canon, as far as I know, but they are entertaining. My collection includes:
The Lost Army, written by Christopher Golden
The Bones of Giants, by Christopher Golden
Emerald Hell, by Tom Piccirilli
The All-Seeing Eye, by Mark Morris
The Fire Wolves, by Tim Lebbon
The Ice Wolves, by Mark Chadbourn
On Earth As It Is In Hell, by Brian Hodge
Unnatural Selection, by Tim Lebbon
The God Machine, by Tom Sniegoski
The Dragon Pool, by Christopher Golden

There’s also a Lobster Johnson novel:
The Satan Factory, by Tom Sniegoski

And there are at least four short story collections featuring various Mignola characters:
Odd Jobs
Odder Jobs
Oddest Jobs
An Assortment of Horror

Mike Mignola has also cowritten a few novels that don’t involve the Hellboy Universe, some of which have subsequently resulted in comics series:
Baltimore (with Christopher Golden)
Joe Golem and the Drowning City (with Golden)
Father Gaetano’s Puppet Catechism (with Golden)
Grim Death and Bill the Electrocuted Criminal (with Tom Sniegoski)

Can you guess that I’m a fan?

My favorite of the Hellboy novels is The Fire Wolves, while the Father Gaetano book is truly scary.

Why? Mark got the front page and is featured (as well as writers are ever featured! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:) right with Artist’s Alley.

It’s pretty amazing that three of DC’s top five are by Alan Moore.

I’ll give that Hellboy one a shot. Thanks!!!

Twitter thread from former DCB Service staffer about the state of the industry and how we’re all helping it die, with our Comixology and our trade waiting:

I support my LCS and my favorite books by buying individual issues, TPBs and hardcovers in the store, as opposed to buying the books at a discount from Amazon or B&N. I’m happy to do my small part to support Midtown Comics as well as Erik Larsen, Mike Mignola, Brubaker/Phillips, and other creators I like.

That being said, if I see a mega-sale on a book that I hadn’t otherwise intended on purchasing, I’ll buy it just because it’s a bargain. I had no burning desire to read Jeph Loeb’s Batman: The Long Halloween, but I picked it up during a digital-book sale because it was under $3.

Her complaint about variant covers is true but shop owners can curtail that by not ordering what they know they can’t sell just for a single issue. If more stores did that, the practice would die quickly.

Tradewaiting is not going away. Hell, it pretty much started in earnest with Vertigo in the 90s.

As to digital comics, I hate to break it to her but welcome to the 21st century. The retail market is undergoing a huge transformation and it will still be sometime before things stabilize. I’m sure someone like @garjones would love to be able to go to an LCS but due to the lack of one where he lives, digital is his only option. I’m sure that is true for many people. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is also a generational thing. The 40+ year olds are probably the ones keeping the stores afloat for the most part. I can see younger generations who were raised on the Internet being more inclined to buy digital. Entertainment and how it’s delivered and consumed is changing and the comic book industry is going to have to adapt if it wants to survive.

In my limited experience, stores are already adapting. The amount of space given over to comics in my LCSs has shrunk over the past couple of decades from maybe 75%+ to probably less than 50%. There’s a much higher proportion of merchandise - toys, collectables, clothes etc. - than there used to be, which makes sense given the move of comics culture into the mainstream general culture.

I agree with a lot of this, and from my perspective while the issues raised in that thread and others like it are valid, they boil down to “the industry is changing and we can’t or won’t adapt”. And a lot of that is because the problems with the post-crash industry are ones that are caused by Marvel, DC and Diamond, but that the effects are felt by creators and the retailers.

In a lot of ways, Diamond collapsing would be a good thing for the industry in the future, as disastrous as it’d be in the short term

My LCS is doing the same. They’re ordering fewer and fewer comics for the shelf, and only order exactly what’s in regular’s standing orders for 99% of all monthlies. They make more money selling a single €20 Gundam kit than they do from €20 worth of comics, and they sell through their stock of Gundams far more frequently.

I think this is true but I’m not sure the physical printed single issue part of the industry could survive Diamond’s collapse. They control too much of that end of the business. I don’t think trades and digital could make up the shortfall either.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the vast majority of the surviving comics shops closed in a hypothetical crash, and a shift from the remains of the Direct Market to be more like traditional publishers in terms of doing OGN/Album style longer form works, with creators getting an advance against future royalites instead of working month to month.