millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Random comics-related things

I have always bought on the web on my PC anyway and then go and read later on my tablet.

For me as well, the vast majority of buying is done online, either via the Comixology website or now Amazon too.

I have occasionally made the odd impulse purchase via the app though, or picked up free comics that way.

Are you able to ‘buy’ the free books on Apple, or does it make you go the website route for those too? Even obtaining free books seems to be processed like a purchasing transaction so I’m guessing not.

Agreed. On Android, it’s one of the most intuitive and navigable apps I have. And newly improved too: for last nights NCBD haul, I was offered the option to store on my SD card. :+1:

Oh wow, I’ve been waiting for the feature forever!

Edit: Dammit and I’ll need to wait longer as it is only working for Android Kit-Kat and my tablet is Lollipop.

That appears to be the case and I was surprised by it.

There appear to be too many weird moving parts here. It makes me think this is software we’re using now until the real one comes along.

It’s just convenience for me. I spend a lot of time at a PC and it wasn’t a reaction to the mobile experience, I have never used it. I secure my computer with all sorts of protections for things like online purchases and can’t be arsed to do it for my phone and tablet, accentuated by having kids and a bad experience of the youngest spending $50 on Candy Crush tokens by accident, so I barred all credit card transactions.

I appreciate others won’t follow the same pattern though and especially for Apple users it isn’t great at all, while understanding why Amazon and publishers don’t want to hand over 30% of their revenue for effectively doing nothing.

A work colleague’s pre-teen niece spent three and half thousand dollars on in game purchases on their tablet. The purchases were password protected; this girl can’t remember her times-tables, but she snuck a peak and committed to memory their iTunes password.

Three and a half grand on materially nothing - there’s nothing to show for those purchases.

I generally purchase my books off the website but still think that decision was a huge mistake. It inhibits casual users and impulse purchases. It really was a beautiful app and they’ve at least restored most of the other functionality beyond purchasing. When the change was first made, it was basically just a reading app with no browsing or other abilities. I still like it much better than Marvel Unlimited especially the the reader.

Looks like targeted marketing on my browser is directly tied to things I complain about Millarworld.

31 PM

You’re welcome?

The next ad will be The Harvey Weinstein Massage Service.

Nameless by Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham

It’s no secret that I am not a Grant Morrison fan. Some of his tales are just true hit, while others are total miss. This one, however, I found to be total disappointment. Cosmic Lovecraftian horror description is what hooked me onto it, but the story is filled with so much symbolism, obscure occult references and the pointless amount of violence that I felt Morrison intentionally crammed much of the stuff so that he can say the typical “look how grim and dark I can be”. And while there are some truly gruesome parts, I still prefer horror tales that go for mysticism and suspense. Also, I get more scared by passing kindergarten than this. And regardless being superhero book, Gothic is tale that I adore and chills me every time I read it.
And to tell the truth, if somebody asks me what is Nameless about, I couldn’t really say.

Burnham standardly great.

Nameless is one of the few stories where reading the author’s explanation of the meaning behind the text actually took something away from the book a little bit, for me, albeit only very slightly.

There’s a detailed rundown by Morrison in the collected edition of all the symbolism and hidden meaning that’s present throughout much of the story, but the way he described it, it ended up sounding like a bit of a hodgepodge of mythical and occult references (a bit like I feel Arkham Asylum is to some extent). Whereas I was initially oblivious to much of that and enjoyed the book a lot on its own terms.

Now when you mentioned, it’s exact like AA. I mean, I get where he drew his inspiration, but I am not familiar with the work he referenced there. Not a bit.

I agree with this. I have an iPad and the Comixology app is so much better than the Marvel one that Disney should be embarrassed. I rarely have issues with it, downloads are fast, and it store books forever, it seems like (MU seems to forget some books are supposed to be stored ‘offline’ after a while.)

I don’t buy from either app since I use Unlimited in both cases, and CU is really good now — I currently have all of Rachel Rising downloaded (I know @chriss liked it), for example, as well as the Fade Out. And they have most of Valiant’s books to read as well as Mignolaverse titles etc. I’m currently reading all of Waid’s Irredeemable.

It started as a ‘here’s the first trade of a series’ service but it’s really progressed.

So I’m rereading the Lee-Kirby run on Fantastic Four- which, starting with the introduction of Inhumans until around issue #60- vies with the Lee-Buscema run on Silver Surfer for my favorite Silver Age run. As most comic fans know, the Thing has a rivalry with the Yancy Street Gang. There is no real Yancy Street in Manhattan, however Lee says he named it after the IRL Delancey Street on the Lower East Side. I went into Manhattan today for a doctor’s appointment. Guess what street we drove down the length of to get to her Midtown office?

This is one of my favorite music videos. I’d never thought to track down the comic in it. Cool story.

Interesting stuff.

Kind of related was this:

Marvel Comics has been having a rough time lately. Readers and critics met last year’s Civil War 2—a blockbuster crossover event (and a spiritual tie-in to the year’s big Marvel movie)—with disinterest and scorn. Two years of plummeting print comics sales culminated in a February during which only one ongoing superhero title managed to sell more than 50,000 copies.

Their primary trick is the consistent (and damaging) strategy of relaunching books with #1 issues or titles.

In 2015, Ewing began writing both New Avengers and Ultimates, which followed characters from Mighty Avengers. Marvel relaunched both a year later—again with new #1s—as Ultimates 2 and USAvengers. Sound complicated? It gets worse: The 2013 Mighty Avengers was the third series to use the title; the 2015 Ultimates was the seventh. Both are unrelated to previous series. Such a publishing scheme is convoluted even for a committed fan; for a new reader, it’s nearly impenetrable.

In the end, I have my doubts that either Marvel or DC comics can survive, long-term, without shrinking. The comics market has been diversifying for years, and I don’t think there are as many superhero fans out there as there used to be, nor do I think that future generations will be as into these superhero universes as we used to be.