millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Random comics-related things

Absolutely correct, yeah. Well, except for the word “crap”.

I love that book so much. It still stands as a unique piece of work in the superhero genre.

I’ll just leave this here.

I’m going to need a hint. Cast of the next DCU movie? Justice League Metal? :confused:

Greg Capullo and Scott Snyder, the artist and writer of Dark Nights: Metal.

Thanks. Weird that I got the “metal” bit right :wink:

There’s a thing that Denny O’Neil called the Levitz Paradigm (though Levitz doesn’t claim credit for it, pointing out that Stan Lee and Roy Thomas were doing it before him, even if they didn’t formalise it), which is a way of addressing multiple plot threads in an on-going comic.

Simply put, you call one thread the “A” plot, and devote maximum time to it, while also looking in on the B", “C”, and maybe “D” and “E” plots. When the “A” plot finishes, you promote all of the others, add a new “E” plot, and keep going. Hold on, O’Neil explains it better than me:

Basically, the procedure is this: The writer has two, three, or even four plots going at once. The main plot — call it Plot A — occupies most of the pages and the characters’ energies. The secondary plot — Plot B — functions as a subplot. Plot C and Plot D, if any, are given minimum space and attention — a few panels. As Plot A concludes, Plot B is “promoted”; it becomes Plot A, and Plot C becomes Plot B, and so forth. Thus, there is a constant upward plot progression; each plot develops in interest and complexity as the year’s issues appear.

Here’s an actual “Levitz Grid” for the process, which I think is pretty cool:

Not impressed? Try Alan Moore’s Levitz Grid for Big Numbers:

:scream:

Today in “people you wouldn’t expect to be comics fans”: Anne Hegerty off The Chase.

A drawing of Captain America taking a knee…

What would be the repercussions?

Depends which version of Cap it is.

Nobody cared when it was Iron Man…

Some great images here:

I think it might be best to keep Cap away from this, look at the bother it got Bucky into…

For fellow 90s comics fans, this is a great trip down memory lane:

Taken from a post, some industry context:

Hindsight glimpses into the comic industry:

• A Diamond survey showed that the largest group of comic book readers were 19-25 years old (33% of sales), 13-18 year olds made up 25%, 26-35 year olds were 22%, and preteens and 35+ were grouped together as 11%.

• The CEO of Diamond observed that more companies were beginning to “produce material for what you might call ‘mass-market consumption’,” and there was speculation that the industry might return to Golden Age level sales figures, with top comics selling millions of copies.

• Top comics were already selling “a few hundred thousand” copies per issue.

• NOW comics was fighting for its last gasps, claiming to be reorganized and “better than ever” in its inside cover ad and in trade talk by the CEO of Capital City Distributors.

• Comico had also reorganized after going bankrupt, but no ads are to be found within, and enthusiasm from the CEO of Capital City Distributors was far more muted.

• Dark Horse was on a “phenomenal” rise

• Malibu had “improved its product line”

I just heard this very odd story about a theft from Joe Quesada’s home.

I hope he manages to recover what was taken. It sounds like some of them were unique and irreplaceable pieces.

I think that in the middle of all the recent news, it’s worth calling out there are still good people around. Maybe not that many, but…

These bidders are crazy.

So I’m feeling conflicted. We’ve got a garage sale tomorrow and I’m feeling the crunch in terms of the amount of old stuff we have…do I get rid of my old comics?

I’ve already culled it down to a bunch: X-Men, X-Factor, New Mutants, Daredevil. And FF (which I will never get rid of). Do I get rid of all those X-books? They’re from the 80s and 90s, and they’re disintegrating and worth nothing, and I will likely never read them again, but I paw through them and it’s like visiting old friends. I loved these exact books dearly. At the same time…everything is so available digitally…I don’t know.

Thoughts?

As someone who has purged over 95% of their collection, I say go for it.

If particular old comics have sentimental value, reading them digitally won’t give you the same feeling as the physical books (in my experience). Plus, a lot of that era doesn’t translate brilliantly to digital.

But if you’ve come this far I’m guessing you’re at a point where you realise that actually keeping the books around isn’t really necessary in terms of keeping them alive in your memory, so it sounds like you should go for it.

I always think a good test is: when did you last actually pull these books out to look at them and read them? And when could you ever see yourself doing that again?