millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Random comics-related things

I agree. There’s no point using complicated layouts if there’s no reason to do so.

It is interesting to see what effects are created by using these kinds of layouts though. With the She-Hulk page, there’s a really clean and direct line of motion from the top left panel to the splat on the bottom right, which enhances the joke.

With the ‘Flying Man’ example, it creates a sense of energy and fast-changing movement. Three panels of him flying along in the same direction would be easier to follow but more boring to read. As presented, it makes him look like he’s busily zipping about.

The three panel version of “flying man” doesn’t work - but the 4 panel version just does (especially with the panels layered).

In the three panel version, it would work better if the figure in that panel swished back down to be pointing at the bottom of the page if not the right.

The three panel version works fine in and of itself.

I can see why you’d think otherwise if you have a particular reason to think it needs to end with a figure or panel at the bottom right of the layout, though.

This is a good list:

https://www.npr.org/2017/07/12/533862948/lets-get-graphic-100-favorite-comics-and-graphic-novels

Lots of classics and stuff that I’ve read already, but a lot of newer stuff I haven’t read/heard of too.

There’s an “almost made the list” list too:

https://www.npr.org/2017/07/13/536827295/the-old-school-classic-strips-that-continue-to-shape-comics

This is another one of those that falls into the category of “the creative team can do whatever the hell they like”, but my inbuilt arbiter says “that’s fine unless you’re taking the reader out of the narrative flow”.

Yeah, that is a pretty good list. I’ve read most of it, and my gaps are mostly in the realm of manga… and webcomics.

I am now reading Kill 6 Billion Demons, which is awesome.

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-2-23/

, which is also fine if you actually want to take the reader out of the narrative flow."

If you’re screwing around with the reading experience because you don’t understand what you’re doing, that’s bad.

If you’re screwing around with the reading experience because you want the reader to have a screwed up reading experience for some reason, that’s fine.

It’s like atonal (which is a misnomer, but you all know what I mean) music. It breaks all the rules and it’s not a “pleasant” listening experience, but it’s not meant to be. Sometimes you just want to mess with people’s heads.

I agree. However, there are too many who think they’re doing the later when they’re actually doing the former. :wink:

Internet poetry in a nutshell there.

Actually, I just quoted that from page 856 of my opus “Collected Poetry of David Meadows, Volume 1”. It’s only the first stanza of a much longer piece:

If you’re screwing around with the reading experience because you don’t understand what you’re doing, that’s bad.

If you’re screwing around with the reading experience because you want the reader to have a screwed up reading experience for some reason, that’s fine.

Well, as long as you’re screwing around…

…is the second stanza! I can’t believe you’ve read my work!

[quote=“davidm, post:835, topic:319”]
I can’t believe you’ve read my work!
[/quote]It’s all over 4chan, davidm; you really should have established a copyright!

We all have. There’s whole areas of Reddit dedicated to its erotic nature.

I wandered lonely as a cloud,
That floats on high o’er dale and hill,
When all at once I heard a shout,
“Well, as long as you’re screwing around”.

As a yet-to-be-discovered writer, I’m still focussing on trying to keep the reader engaged in the narrative, so I haven’t even had the vague formation of an inkling to experiment in screwing up the reading experience, purposely. Have you any examples in mind?

A good example of that would be the Promethea spread found upthread?

That’s one of my all-time favourite spreads in comics

There are lots of examples of creators deliberately doing something non-standard to mess with the readers minds. Typically none spring to mind to mention at this moment :smiley: .

But as for “engaging in the narrative”, every time you have to think about something that is not dialogue or a part of the on-panel art, you’re disengaed with the narrative. Most of the time you won’t think of it in those terms. Consider this:

“Daredevil first met the Molester Master in issue #97 – Rascally Roy”

That’s you disengaging from the narrative for the time it takes you to read that meta-information.