millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Random comics-related things

Worlds collide: Todd McFarlane draws Captain Underpants.

I’m not sure I would leave Todd alone with kids. :wink:

I also can’t get over how much Todd sounds like Strong Bad. :wink:

Can someone let him know to hold his phone sideways when filming?

Wait, so the price drop, especially the 50$ thing, was him “kidding” and pretending to be the other Oscar Jiminez? And making fun of the fact that that guy (whose art I always loved) has apparently really fallen on hard times?

…that’s kind of douchey, isn’t it?

You did get a very neat drawing out of it, though!

On another note…

I always go back to reading Daredevil #181 (Bullseye vs. Elektra) feeling as if I just saw a good movie. A few other comics gave me that feeling like Miller’s original Batman DKR, Kingdom Come to a degree, and some of the Bendis DD material…

What other comics gave you that feeling?

Hate to harp on it, but MM’s Ultimates every single time.

This is kind of interesting and gives a glimpse into the the life of an independent cartoonist/comic artist. Oddly enough, it actually played as a commercial on another video I was watching. Vice has really upped their game from their days as a creepy ass magazine and really make some great content.

Anyone in or around Liverpool might be interested in this:

(The thing on the left, not the cake. Or maybe you’re interested in cake too, that’s fine.)

Initially I was pretty pissed off with the reaction to this because while it’s an inflammatory image, it’s supposed to be, and it’s not being depicted as an endorsement.

That said, it’s not always easy to account for context and a comic cover is almost like a movie poster - a movie poster depicting this scene wouldn’t be allowed to be displayed, so it probably should have been censored or redrawn.

Less is more.

Paul Ryan sneaks Huntara (marvels fantastic force) into issue 130 of The Flash

Agreed.

I was doing my daily bets this morning and couldn’t resist £2 on Cable in the 4:10 Limerick.

Boom winner! £30 return

When did comics generally stop using thought bubbles? I seem to remember Bendis trying them out in Might Avengers but is there a specific period where writers stopped using them?

I think it’s the long-term effects of V for Vendetta and Watchmen. Frank Miller also went for captions instead of thought bubbles after Moore had ploughed the way, and those were the two most influential writers back then. So the bubbles fell out of fashion during the nineties. To my memory, you’d still get them in superhero clomics during the early to mid-nineties, although you wouldn’t catch a Vertigo writer using them back then. But until the 2000s, they had more or less completely disappeared.

It’s a bit of a shame as they’re a perfectly valid technique, and you can still do great things with them.

I loved that bit in Whedon’s Astonishing X-Men where you see a scene play out and then later you see the same scene (with the exact same page of artwork) but with thought bubbles added to reveal a simultaneous psychic conversation that paints everything in a whole new light. (He used a similar technique in a Buffy episode).

I guess they’re seen a bit as old hat and a relic of times past - possibly due to the way Lichtenstein used them and parodied their sometimes purple prose in paintings like this:

But it seems like their removal is just a fashion thing as much as anything else - part of showing that comics are a ‘serious’ art form. While putting thoughts in caption boxes instead of clouds does make some difference to the way you read them, I can’t believe that thought bubbles are completely redundant these days. Hopefully they will be rediscovered to some extent in future.

The interesting thing is that they moved thoughts to captions, but not speech. I mean, why not? If you’ve decided that disassociated square boxes have more grown-up artistic integrity than floaty clouds with helpful attribution-tails, then logically the same should hold true for floaty ovals with helpful attribution-tails.

Logically, if you think like that then you must think that Rupert the Bear was the most serious comics art ever made:

That is not how logic works!