millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Radio (ga-ga)

I found one of them a little ropey (and that may just a matter of personal taste). The rest were pure comedy gold as far as I was concerned.

It’s gone from iPlayer, but they’re on Audible: http://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Comedy/John-Finnemores-Double-Acts-Audiobook/B01ATZ8WMS

Thanks Paul

Yeah, cheers Paul.

Catching up with the latest series of John Finnemore’s Souvenir Programme on the iPlayer. It’s an endlessly inventive sketch show that has gone on for several series now (this is the sixth) without ever feeling like it’s really repeating itself.

I can’t believe Finnemore hasn’t broken through to become even more popular and well-known yet, especially after his brilliant Cabin Pressure and that series of two-handers mentioned by Simon a few posts up. Or maybe he’s happy where he is in radio - it certainly plays to his outlandish and absurd sense of humour, and the reveals that he likes to build in to his sketches (which would be more difficult on TV).

Anyway, it’s good to know I still have several more episodes to look forward to.

One of my favorite CDs for years was their second release.

KBCO Studio C Volume 2

1. Bruce Cockburn - Kit Carson
  2. Dramarama - What Are We Gonna Do?
  3. Tori Amos - Happy Phantoms
  4. Big Shoulders - Johnny & Mary
  5. Kenny Loggins - Leap Of Faith
  6. Liz Barnez Band - Don’t Worry About Yourself
  7. Julian Lennon - Saltwater
  8. Sun-60 - Take Me Home
  9. Leftover Salmon - Alfalfa’s
  10. Sonny Landreth & Steve Conn - Back To Bayou Teche
  11. Indigo Girls - Jonas & Ezekial
  12. The Origin - Waiting
  13. James McMurtry & Friends - Candyland
  14. Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
  15. Western Vogue - What’s It All About
  16. Beat Farmers - Happy Boy

9,10,13,16 were my favorites but the other songs were solid too. many were done acoustic with gorgeous voices. all throughout the years they had just beautiful acoustic sessions with so many musicians. Thanks for reminding me of those times.

It is funny that you mention John Finnemore…I listened to this most recent episode of the Souvenir Programme last night and was going to post a link…There is a funny sketch (about 2 or 3 minutes in) for anyone who ever wondered how Wolverine gets his hair done.

If you go here:

http://vixen101.co.uk/programmes/the-foxs-den/

and use the “listen live” link, you should be able to hear Heather Findlay (aka my favourite singer in the whole world today) singing live in the studio from 9pm onwards.

If you don’t like it, I’ll give you your money back :slight_smile:

Heh, we just listened to that one.

It was the disclaimers after that sketch that made it. :slight_smile:

I’ve been listening to Hewlett’s weekly interviews with Eddie Mair on PM over the last few months, and I’ve found them very informative and quite moving in places. He speaks about his condition with remarkable candour and eloquence, and I got a little bit choked up last night hearing about his hastily-arranged wedding (not least because I’ve had a couple of friends go through a similar experience). Well worth a listen.

Sadly Steve Hewlett died yesterday.

The talk of management consultants in the Politics thread has reminded me of this great sketch.

I think Finnemore is the closest we have to an heir to the Two Ronnies (and I mean that as a big compliment).

More H2G2 on the way, as well as a new sci-fi comedy from Rob Grant and Andrew Marshall:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/hitchhikers-and-quanderhorn

I didn’t love “And another thing” as much as the other Hitchhiker books, but I did love all of the radio versions (and my namesake playing Arthur Dent), so I shall look forward to this.

I am just about to give this listen while I make dinner…It’s a radio adaptation of an unproduced Hammer Horror movie (directed by Mark Gatiss).

Just a quick heads-up that the latest series of John Finnemore’s Souvenir Programme started on Radio 4 a couple of weeks ago and is as great as ever.

He is one of my favourite writers of the moment, in any medium. Smart and very funny.

There’s an interview with me on Radio 4 Saturday Live tomorrow. It was recorded ages ago and I’ve not heard it, so it may be mortifyingly embarrassing. But, there you go.

Rich Hall had a new political comedy special on Radio 4 t’other day that is definitely worth a half hour of your lives.

Link here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05vjjj7