millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Public Speaking....little help!

oh, look who has grown a pair! :wink:

My little bit of honest advice is to know you’ll be nervous at the start, you might have a bit of a shake in your voice, but that’ll pass. Yes they’ll notice but it won’t bother them - it’ll just endear you to them. And you’ll be talking about a subject that a) they’ll be absolutely interested in and b) that you have a huge command over. 5 minutes in you’ll want to talk and talk and talk.

cheers fella!

Didn’t think I had much to contribute here but there is one thing:

Some uni lecturers are utterly crap, thus you cannot fail to be better.

My big one has been covered, pick a few people in the audience to make eye contact with and talk to them, spreading the love between your chosen few.
As your confidence builds speak to their general area in the room.
I’m one for pacing as I deliver the input of my lessons. Of course in a lecture hall you’ll have less opportunities to move around the entire space.
I am also a big fan of doing public speaking the Lo-tech old fashioned way but I also know I have good control of my voice and the ability to project my voice is one of my strengths (I often get “to be quieter” as a performance management target). Having said that I loved having a soundwave in my last classroom which guaranteed my voice was never strained and was the same volume across the whole room.

It’s a fair point, but I think cunts are one of the few groups you don’t really have to worry about offending.

In the US, it’s analogous to the b-word. I understand it’s not quite the same in other places.

Discourage them. You’ll be doing them a favor in the long run… and cutting down on the competition.

Jeest doo eet!

Figure it this way; if you do not anxiety yourself to death in the first sentence you will survive, in which case you have to carry on talking.

It’s the anticipation. The talking, well, we’ve done a bit of that, haven’t we?

Just don’t say you support Trump, you’ll be fine.

I hope not because I’m doing TWO talks!
One in the am with the 2nd years, then pm with the thirds years! :joy:

Well, then. you either survive the first or you do not.

If you do not, no problem.

If you survive, do whatever you did in the first talk to survive.

No chemical assistance of any kind. You tough it through now, or it becomes a monster.

Get your nob out.

Right now?

No point hanging about is there?

Um…Phrasing.

…said Ripley to the android Bishop.

Been waiting for you two kids to get together…

You lot are a disgrace.

I’m telling Mrs. Jones. No… I have a better idea. I’m telling Ronnie and he’ll turn all Sinestro on you.

Advice other than “Get your nob out”? There’s a couple of things I use / would advise.

1. Don’t be afraid of silence. Don’t rush to fill every gap. You wouldn’t want to listen to a solid block of speech with no breaks and that’s not how people speak in normal day to day conversation. If you feel you’re rushing and are looking to pause I find taking a nice even breath and exhaling gives a few seconds break of a natural sounding and feeling pause. That moment of dead air can feel like an eternity but it really isn’t that long.

2. I would never use a microphone. Project your voice. This is different from shouting. Be clear, calm and deliberate with your language and “aim” your voice to the back of the room and launch it from your stomach. If you are going to use a mic then be very careful not to talk to it and remember you’re addressing an audience. Same advice if you’re referring to notes - stop to look at them (a pause to look at your notes will feel like an eternity of silence but, as I said above, it’ll feel like just a short pause for the audience) but never ever talk directly into them. Also, don’t just stand there and read straight from the page. I find a set of important bullet points and key phrases are better than a word for word transcript of what you want to say as it removes that issue.

3. Enjoy yourself and let your passion shine through. If you sound bored as shit giving the talk then you’re going to find it hard to inspire and interest your audience (this is a common thing issue I flag up with new / trainee teachers). Alter your voice as you are talking - a contrast of loud and soft (which is tricky to do while projecting) - keeps your audience on their toes and is more interesting to listen to. I think my voice is one of my key strengths in my teaching. I don’t shout and scream at the kids when I’m trying to get their attention - I use more of a “whip crack” effect. A short, sharp word like “RIGHT!” followed by a drop in volume in volume and a hushed tone is much more effective than constant bawling. Gesticulate a bit too but not too much as it can be distracting.

4. All else fails? Get your nob out.

I have to confess that I forced back a similar comment after Matt’s last post to James.

I apologize.