millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Public Speaking....little help!

Okay, so… This is something I’m known locally as being good at and have coached people in public speaking and stand up, so hopefully my advice will help here as much as it’s seemed to help others…

1. People are generally on your side - This is especially true when speaking at funerals but in general most people look at public speaking and think, “I could never do that,” so they immediately support someone who is, instinctively, as there is no jealousy to get in the way (ie. "I should be up there.) Yes, there are people who heckle or think it’ll be funny to see you do badly - and schools and comedy clubs tends to be where they hang out -but in the case of a school you are covering a subject which is much more interesting than the usual stuff they are used to, you are already ahead on that score so it’s not something to worry about here, kids tend to be better than most people give them credit for, especially the rowdy ones, if it’s not a usual school subject.

2. Slow is KEY - Not tortoise slow, but taking your time with plenty of space breeds confidence on stage in front of people… own that first moment of silence - If you brace yourself to be comfortable and confident in that first moment of silence then the crowd will be comfortable and confident in you. Being slow, clear in your speaking and comfortable between words, is the secret to keeping people interest. Double the time you usually take between every comma and full stop and make a point of taking time to enunciate longer words - you’ll find your focus on these things also makes it more comfortable to go into a sort of auto-pilot mode. NEVER try to speed up in case you are taking ‘too much of people’s time.’ If you lose you place in your notes let them wait for you, don’t rush to find your words as you’ll only get flustered. They can wait, they are a captive audience… what else can they do but wait intently for you. You’re in charge.

3. You’re the boss - As soon as you stand to speak it is YOUR room, no one else’s. You decide the content of what is said in that room completely and everyone will look to you for what they should think, feel or act like… It’s important not to think about even the teachers as being in charge - it’s your room, you are the speaker and what you say goes… literally.

4. Mistakes are your best friend - The first time I ever spoke in public I was 14 and had to give a talk on a ‘dream come true’ type trip to Disney World I received and when I got on stage in front of the whole school it was pretty daunting… I couldn’t reach the mic at all, I was so small, and it got a massive laugh and endeared me to the whole school before I even opened my mouth as I wasn’t afraid to be laughed at… You’ll find the quality of not being afraid to be laughed at in the funniest and most loved comedians. So in public speaking if there’s a mistake or something funny and it doesn’t upset you you can be assured it will be a resounding success and something that people will walk away latching on to in a positive way. I still have people talk about that speech, usually saying how funny it was. I don’t think it was a very good or funny speech, they just remember the feeling it left them with. So don’t worry about mistakes, they are a good thing if you let them be, never be afraid to be laughed at or laugh at yourself if something goes wrong and it’s only ever a positive! :smiley:

Hope this all helps.

That was great. :slight_smile:

My advice: Practice and preparation gets you a long way.

Read about rhetorics. Not only rhetorical devices but about different models of approach. I dearly recommend the quite short but oh-so-good “Ad Herennium”.

After writing your speech, try to learn it by heart. There are numerous methods and it’s not as daunting as it may seem.

Rehearse speaking to yourself, perhaps in front of a mirror. If possible, record yourself with a camera. Watch it and find where you can improve. Try rehearsing with a test audience, like a loved one or a friend.

When the time comes, don’t be afraid to improvise. And most important: Relax. It’s going to be fine.

it was brilliant, thanks so much! :wink:

that wont be a problem! :wink:
and thanks!

I think you have your solution right there. :wink:

Why the fuck not? These are fucking university student not little bed wetters who are going to run home to their mommies because they heard a fucking swear word. :wink:

I honestly think you’ll do great, Matt. Practice a bit so you know what you want to say and how you want to say it but don’t script it out to the last word. Once you get on stage, I think you’ll be like a pig in mud. :wink:

As long as you are confident in your knowledge of the material/subject of your lecture, there is no need to be nervous. My best piece of advice: lift your head up from your notes and move your eyes around the room. Second best piece: try to avoid verbal crutches like “ummm”, or clearing your throat. Oh yeah, have a bottle of water handy to avoid the dreaded dry throat.

My former boss used to teach a course at NYU’s School of Continuing Education, and occasionally he would corral me into giving a short guest lecture. One afternoon he told me “I can’t make it tonight, so you have to teach the class by yourself.” I despised that man, but after that 2-hour ordeal was over I was never afraid of public speaking again.

That should definitely be @mattgarvey1981 's opening sentence to break the ice.

Potty mouth Ronnie is not really striking me as a convincing character.

Sorry. After the success of Deadpool and Logan, everything is R rated now. Even @RonnieM :wink:

Matt Garvey has always been R rated :wink:

That has to become a Tshirt :smile:

What the fuck do you know, Jones? :wink:

I try to code switch and refrain from swearing around some people especially my nieces and nephews but generally I don’t have a problem with it. Teaching Sunday School was another place I tried to refrain. Once I said a mild one like “sucks” or something like that and all my students went wide eyed. It hadn’t even occurred to me.

[/quote]

Do you do merch T-shirts Matt? I’ve signed up to Redbubble but wondering if there is better options out there.

And yes, that T-Shirt would be awesome.

This has reminded me of a thread I meant to start…

Potty mouth Ronnie is not really striking me as a realistic character.

Just Vista Print over here…no minimums…order on request and ship direct! :wink:

Hahaha. You assume since I taught Sunday School that I don’t swear? :wink:

I do love playing with people’s expectations. There are some people that it still catches off guard.

Geez, I’m surprised they haven’t kicked you out of Canada by now :open_mouth:

Michael Rea thinks that the key to good public speaking is always refer to yourself in the third person.