millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Preacher: The TV Series

So, caught up on this.

Ep 10 - That was it? That was the episode that saw so much controversy? It was far more restrained than I expected.

As for eps 11-13… The big problem remains that they’ve gone straight to screwing over the characters, setting everyone against everyone else, without giving much in the way of reason to care about it. It still works, just about, due to the skill of the cast but it’s an uphill road. Also, no, I don’t buy that Featherstone is that good when up against Tulip.

Things I liked - the plot with Eugene and Hitler in Hell was the big surprise hit, that worked far better than it had any right to. The Saint of Killers, despite an anti-climatic resolution, this was well done on the whole. Of course the Saint is going to bust out of Hell, somehow start looking into what really happened with his family and team-up with Jesse. The teasing of Angelville throughout the season, with the more explicit reveals towards the end, was very effective. Angelville is a much bigger deal here than the comics. Starr - total arsehole but a very entertaining one, Featherstone and Hoover are nowhere near as good, being far more irritating. The upgraded Grail worked as well.

Yeah, that really was one part that stood out, especially considering it had nothing to do with the comics. Loved Charon, too.

Yeah, that was my thinking, as well. He hasn’t succesfully used it since they took the Saint back to hell, did he?

Overall, I am incredibly happy with this season. I wish they’d taken more time to make us like the characters, but everything else… Starr, the Grail, the messiah, God as Man-Dog, Cassady and Dennis, the Saint, Featherstone & Hoover, Eugene and Hitler- there was a lot to love there, and some really brilliant moments. I liked it a lot more than the first season, and I was already into that.

Oh, hey: Nice to see that mascot again, even if it was only to reveal that he’d molested Eugene.

Started before that, a bit after he gave his soul fraction to the Saint… but also, they took it out of the saint (Hoover IIRC, and Starr has it), so I suppose it’s just the fact that’s his soul is incomplete that’s making his powers erratic.

At times the Her Starr character seems to be channeling Victor Meldrew.

I don’t believe it!!!

(Well actually, I do, because I thought the same thing.) :grinning:

They did? I must’ve missed that part.

yeah when they took him out of the swamp, in the truck… that’s how why he went after Jesse.

Watched the final episode earlier today. They’ve taken the show in a very different direction to the comics - it’s not just because of that that I’ll be ditching the series, but that’s part of it.

Making Jesse a superhero-level fighter grates, the fact the everyone calls him “Preacher” is annoying, and the two main actors (Cooper and Negga) are doing a really bad job. That last episode had even the bit players doing a bad job (the lady with the missing cat who pulls up at the start) - like overacting from a sketch-show.

That part I can’t see at all. Jesse will kick the shit out of anyone in the comics; I don’t really see a difference here. The last fight is over the top, but that’s because it’s supposed to be comedic, and it’s a staged fight after all (even if Jesse isn’t aware of that).

He’s a bar-room brawler, sure. But the fights in the show have a way more polished approach (see the fight in the torture room of Tulip’s ex-husbands house, or the first fight with the Grail when Jesse rescued Featherstone).

And he takes a superhero level of damage - the Saint’s beating two episodes back would kill a man.

I honestly don’t see it. The torture-room fight is a good example: it’s an incredibly well-choreographed scene, but it’s not like Jesse is doing martial arts here or anything, or even as if he’s particularly co-ordinated or elegant in what he’s doing. He’s just grabbing shit and hitting the other guy with it.

If this isn’t brawling, I don’t know what is.

And in the comic book, it was always pretty clear that Jesse was pretty much unbeatable. I think I remember a bit of dialogue about that, where someone goes “Who the hell taught you to fight?” and Jesse says, “the meanest bastard I ever knew” (of course refering to Jody).

Oh, look, similar moment to what I was thinking of, and he’s kicking Cassady’s arse:

(Uh, spoilers for those who haven’t read the book… but then, do we have those people in this thread?)

Yeah, in the show they established early on that he was actually a mean tough son of a gun, with an inclination towards violence and alcohol. It’s really not coming out of nowhere… plus like Cristian pointed out, he could also hold his own rather well in the CBs.

I guess I get people wishing the show stuck closer to the comic, but I still think a lot of the spirit of the comic is alive in the show. Even if the plot and characters are a bit changed. It’s still bombastic over-the-top fun.

I guess it’s just a matter of how I read the fight scenes in comics - I don’t see grace or flashiness there, just scrapping like an angry but relatively fit person outside a pub.

Well yeah, but it’s TV show, you have to give them some leeway to create interesting scenes and cool choreography.

It’s like in Watchmen, a lot of people HATED the fight scenes because they looked like they had superpowers whereas the in the CB it was more grounded, but it was a stylisitcal choice, and honestly I liked it because it looked great.

But sure, if you don’t like that sort of visual stuff, fair enough. At any rate, it doesn’t bother me personally… unless they suddenly make him a kung fu master, I’m fine with some flair and flashiness.

Oh no, I think it’s pretty clear that there’s a fair amount of grace in the way Jesse fought in the comics. He’s essentially says as much in the pages Christian posted.

To say nothing of when he caught a punch from Cassidy earlier on, then after Cass left, basically walked off saying something like “call an ambulance, I broke every bone in my hand.” Ennis wrote him as superhumanly Texas Tuff.

And also to be fair, if it was the prophet Mohammed depicted in that scene, there would have been death threats.

As far as reactions go from religious fanatics, Christian fanatics are pretty easy going in comparison.

We’ve come a long way since 1988, when Christian groups still launched terrorist attacks at cinemas because they didn’t like Christ’s depiction in a movie. (In France, one should add, but there was quite a lot of outraged picketing and protesting in the US, as well.)

It’s been even less time since they were bombing abortion clinics.