millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Poll: What's the best fictional universe?

Look folks, a poll! I wanted to inlcude this in part so people would know how polls work. We don’t have Nathan Gardner around right now, but some other might want to create a poll. Simply type Poll: at the start of the topic name and include a list in your post at some point (basically type space and dash before the option). The forum should do the rest.

Anyway, the question is what’s the best fictional universe out of the ones listed. There’s some strong contenders but which do you prefer most, and why?

• Star Wars
  • Marvel
  • Star Trek
  • Harry Potter
  • DC
  • Lord of the Rings
  • Game of Thrones
  • Narnia
  • Dr Whoverse
  • Discworld
  • Warhammer
  • Other

I voted Other for Alan Moore’s ABC line. Though I could have easily gone with Star Wars.

There’s an ommision in that poll.

I voted Other for Moore’s Image/Awesome Universe.

Technical question, there’s an option marked “close poll”. What’s that about? Should I push it?

EDIT: Pushed it. Nothing happened. How disappointing. :disappointed:

EDIT 2: Oh, turns out it did close the poll. Should I be able to do that @JimOHara?

The thread is now called “closed poll”.

You’ve broken it Bruce!

I’ve opened it again. I think.

Phew!

Cthulhu Fhtagn!

That one would be close. I think the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer and the new book from Marvel has rekindled my interest in Star Wars though.

Looks like you can change your vote at anytime. That’s kind of interesting.

I voted for Marvel, although I think starting with New Avengers they screwed it up by smooshing everything together, and now it seems like it isn’t going back. I like how that it’s basically our world only freaky and psychedelic.

Second place is Lord of the Rings, although I liked it better before it became ALL about the fighting and little else.

My favorites that weren’t mentioned are Alien and Planet of the Apes, despite the uneven nature of the franchises.

I voted Other.

In comics, Wildstorm (pre-new 52) and the relaunched Valiant have closer continuity, clearer direction and a much greater willingness to take risks, making them more enjoyable as a whole over Marvel and DC.

In gaming Warhammer may be a 50-pound gorilla, but nothing ever happens. BattleTech has more detail (a similar amount of material published, but over a smaller timeframe), and it, Shadowrun, and Privateer Press’ Iron Kingdoms settings are willing to actually change and progress their stories.

In cinematic media, Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica are home to the most compelling drama series, winning out over Star Trek or Star Wars.

No contest.

Other: The Culture.

What’s The Culture? Not familiar with it.

Are you a hipster nerd? :wink:

I’m just that awesome

It’s in the novels of Iain M Banks.

First, Jim, thanks for the poll feature. It looks great and appears to be very neat and simple to use (though obviously not idiot proof if Bruce could break it :wink: )

Second… it’s a tough poll to answer, as I find I can’t in all honestly pick my first-choice options without throwing in all sorts of caveats. For example, I would pick:

DC… but only prior to COIE.
Marvel… but not since Jim Shooter left.
Star Wars… but only pre-prequel.
Star Trek… but only TOS.

Basically all the universes I loved are now fundamentally broken. And while this doesn’t bother me, because I can still watch (e.g.) a movie where Han Solo shoots first and there is no mention of midichlorians, those things are now part of “the Star Wars universe” and if I vote Star Wars without caveats then I am implicitly saying I’m cool with midichlorians and Greedo being an incompetent gunman. Which would be ridiculous.

So I think I have to go with Discworld.

I voted “other” for the original WildStorm Universe started by Jim Lee and Brandon Choi, and expounded on by countless other creators. In a few titles, they showcased superheroes, espionage, magic, and science fiction fantasy in an expansive yet tightly woven universe. I particularly love how most of the initial titles all tied in to the original Team 7, whose members or offspring spread to solo books (Backlash, Deathblow, Grifter) and team books (WildCATS, Wetworks, StormWatch, Gen13). Good stuff, maybe the best to come from the original Image founders.

I voted for the Marvel Universe.

Bubbling under were the Doctor Who Universe, and this one (I’ve read enough Grant Morrison comics to argue that it should be allowed under a technicality).