millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Politics By Musical Preference

Here’s the question:

Are a person’s politics reflected in their choice of music?

Are Trump supporters stuck with the original Vaudeville performance of “Happy Days Are Here Again”?

Are all rappers politically oblivious?

There seem to me to be some connections here, perhaps even correlations. Do all people who listen exclusively to opera tend to vote as a political bloc? Which is the dog and which is the tail? Who might be wagging whom?

How about you? Does your music reflect your politics? Are music and politics separate?

Not all. Kendrick Lamarr is pretty conscious. Of course, it wasn’t always this way.

I miss the days of Public Enemy, Intelligent Hoodlum, Poor Righteous Teachers, X-Clan…

I do like this song:

Still a schism between hip-hop and rap. This is weird to me, as both genres grew out of political outrage (mostly racism). At the beginning I had hopes the East coast / West coast rivalry might lead to elevation and insight; but it became all personal and incestuous and just got worse. If I wanted to extinguish a musical genre, this is exactly how I would go about it.

Seems a pretty bizarre question when they key era of rap reaching popularity with Public Enemy, NWA, KRS1 was explicitly political.

I got a letter from the government the other day
Opened it and read it, it said they were suckers
They wanted me for their army or whatever
Picture me givin’ a damn, I said, never

Here is a land that never gave a damn
About a brother like myself because I never did
I wasn’t with it but just that very minute
It occurred to me, the suckers had authority

Cold sweatin’ as I dwell in my cell
How long has it been? They got me sittin’ in the state pen
I gotta get out, but that thought was thought before
I contemplated a plan on the cell floor

I’m not a fugitive on the run
But a brother like me, begin to be another one
Public enemy servin’ time, they drew the line y’all
They criticize me for some crime

This is a ridiculous thing to say. Hip-hop is far, far, far more politically engaged than any other genre.

True, but things have changed. All I’ve heard lately have the depth of “Bitch better have my money”.

I should think any rapper might have something to say about current situations.

There was a Michael Brown tribute:

Are you applying the same rules though? In rock I recall protest in the 60s but I don’t hear Coldplay do much of it. Unless ‘it’s all yellow’ is an anti Asian immigration sentiment. :wink:

Hardcore house protesting the Criminal Justice Act in the UK:

Drum and bass on inner city conditions:

Ska on the decline of cities.

Here are people chanting a Kendrick Lamar song from a year ago at a protest:

Good luck finding any protest song in the last 40 years of rock used this way.

This is not a vilification of rap.

Let me give an example. Bernie Saunders is very political in a specific manner. However, is his favorite music Pete Seeger and other such? How about Robert Reich? Former Clinton SecTreas, he’s totally for strong Unions. Is “Union Maid” his favorite tune?

What about folks who do not have any music in their lives? Is that a politcal statement?

Bernie Sanders and rapper Killer Mike, the first of a six-part sit-down discussion.

Mike’s most famous song. It’s called “Reagan” and is a tour through 30 years of American policy, closing with the lines, “I’ll leave you with four words: I’m glad Reagan’s dead.”

Another example, 'cause I can take the opportunity to post this again. This was a moment, for me, of Total Political Agreement. Fogerty is one of my favorite people, and I do believe he nailed a specific point of view at a specific moment in time.

One thing for sure, it ain’t “vague”!

That song barely squeezed into the 40 year limit!

Well yeah, but if you’re going to specify such a recent time period then my options are limited :wink:

Time limit? I want to know what Attila the Hun was listening to that made him chase his armies all over Asia! Was the Sistene Chapel painted to a soundtrack? C’mon! What’s on Jesus’ playlist?

Actually they sing “Amerika, Amerika über alles”

No all rappers aren’t politically oblivious. Killer Mike as previously mentioned endorsed Bernie Sanders. Jeezy literally helped Obama get elected with his anthem “My President Is Black”, Obama was so impressed he invited him to the White House until it was nixed by the Secret Service. During his first presidential election Obama got street cred when he brushed the dirt off his shoulders like Jay Z and the crowd went wild.

Nobody cares about politics as much as someone that can be unarmed and shot dead in the street by the police with no repercussions.

I effing love my country and my President! (At least for one more year.)