millarworld.tv Comics Creators

PanelxPanel: A New Style of Comics Journalism

Hey all!

So, my good friend Hass - regular creator of the Strip Panel Naked video series - has launched a new comics magazine, PanelxPanel (PxP).

I’ve contributed a few pieces to the inaugural issue and, time willing, I’ll do the same for subsequent editions. For those who remember my reviews, my feature work here is in much greater depth, and I think pretty spiffy.

Hass describes it thusly:

"Each issue has two halves. The first, a focus on a particular comic and featuring a series of essays, interviews, process pieces and an exclusive Strip Panel Naked column all focused around that comic. The first issue covers Black Mask’s Beautiful Canvas, released on the same day as this magazine, June 28th.

The second half features regular articles, with creator-on-creator interviews, craft essays, a short comic, and a series of comic recommendations from a range of comic-related voices. The first issue features Rob Williams (Suicide Squad, Unfollow), Ollie Masters (Sons of Anarchy), and Aditya Bidikar (Black Cloud, Motor Crush) as well as a host of other writers and artists."

This is a unique approach to comics, and offers a lot of depth to the comics reading experience, as it relates to both the featured issue and the craft that goes into comics in general.

And I know a couple of you are fans of Rob Williams; he’s got a great bit on his writing process.

Anyway, it’s just $2, and you can pre-order it here:

Hope you do, and if you do, hope ya dig!

Peas,

Deniz

Looks great Deniz, I’ll be ordering issue one in the morning when I have my bank card on me.

Cheers, Parker! It’s all Hass’s brainchild, but I’m happy to be along for the ride. :slight_smile:

If you haven’t checked out his youtube series, you’re really missing out.

I will, especially as I’ve gotten into doing a similar thing with my own youtube channel (though I’m doing a lot of popular click bait stuff to bolster it before it get a but deeper and much more niche with some of the videos). Thank you for turning me on to it.:grinning:

Is it a pdf format?

Yep, to start. If there is enough interest, future issues might be physical, too.

Done. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Nice! I think comics is very starved for more ‘deep dive’ analysis, both in terms of craft and story. When I saw SPN, I thought “This is what I do in my head, but with a better accent and put on smartly edited video”.

Hope you dig!

And having read Beautiful Canvas in advance, I can say I thought it was an excellent comic.

I subscribe to Strip Panel Naked, so it’s no surprise that I’ve pre-ordered this. I’m sure it will add further to my much-needed comic book-making education.

Awesome! I hope you dig PanelxPanel!

Ohh what is your channel! I would love to see it!!

Cool, thank you. This is it! :smiley:

It’s pandering to popular culture a little at the moment, but I have some less clickbaity videos planned and on the way. :grinning:

Those are very funny!
Thank you for telling us about it!

:blush:

Thank you!

Bumping, as we’ve got SAVAGE TOWN, a great OGN written by Declan Shavley with art by Philip Barrett and Jordie Bellaire (natch!) on the latest issue. I write about class in crime fiction.

Here’s the intro paragraph:

Orwell wrote “If you look for the working classes in fiction, and especially English fiction, all you find is a hole” But that doesn’t mean that class hasn’t played a role in fiction, especially crime fiction. There are competing definitions of class, but for the purposes of this article let’s consider sociologist Max Weber’s understanding of class, “the social consequences of a person’s economic positions”. We are primarily concerned with class as a social signifier. From the British detective novel to Scorcese’s THE DEPARTED to HBO’s THE WIRE and now to SAVAGE TOWN, the sociological phenomenon of class has been an integral part of crime narratives, as a condition and impetus for action and strife. Each of these works treat class differently, but it lies at the heart of all their artistic projects.

PLUS, we’ve just announced our next issue is on…Mister Miracle! We’ll have plenty of extra goodies from Mitch Gerads and Tom King, and I’ll be contributing, as always.

:slight_smile:

Really enjoyed the first issue of this. Hit a lovely balance between taking comics seriously and not too seriously. Also persuaded me to actually read Beautiful Canvas, which would’ve completely passed me by otherwise and was a really cool comic.

Bit of an admin question, but how spoilerific will the Mr Miracle PxP issue be? Read and enjoyed the first issue of the book but was probably going to tradewait the rest.

I believe @DenizCamp may be able to answer this…

Unfortunately, the nature of the kind of analysis we do in PxP means that spoilers are likely, often rampant.

There will be some broad but telling spoilers for my piece, and I suspect some serious spoilers for the others, for the first 3 issues (which is what we’ve read up to). Having said that, I don’t know how much it’s going to hurt your enjoyment of the actual issues.

Still, my general feeling is that the magazine works best as a companion for the issue(s) they are dissecting. I think it holds up well on its own, but you’ll get the most out of it if you read it, say, after your first read through of the book itself.

Previous issues, say issue 3 especially on SAVAGETOWN were brutally spoilerific. It can’t be helped for a real, bottom up treatment of the material.

Thanks for the kind words and glad you’re enjoying it! I think issue 4 is going to be cracking – and there has been brilliant work turned in for all issues. Really recommend you give the others a shot!

Yeah, I wasn’t questioning the need for spoilers - I do agree that doing the Beautiful Canvas issue in a non-spoiling form wouldn’t have been as good. Just curious how many issues of Miracle I needed to have read. Got the other two lined up for when I’ve read the accompanying things, looking forward to it!