millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Outer space thread

It’s a Trappist!!

This NASA vid on Trappist 1 is great.

Edit, I’m not sure if this is the same video as in the article above, it wouldn’t play for me, it just froze after the ads everytime.

On the face of it that sounds like a ludicrous timescale. But the Dragon spacecraft has been flying successful orbital missions since 2012, so that’s 6 years from orbiting the Earth to orbiting the Moon. Apollo went from from orbiting the Earth to orbiting the Moon in about 12 months.

The only reason we’re not going back to the Moon regularly is because nobody has been willing to throw money at it. Until now, it seems.

It does seem like a ludicrous timescale. The Falcon Heavy hasn’t even flown yet.

Oooh. Knife sounds like a handy app. I’ve always wanted to be able to calculate the boolean subtraction of arbitrary watertight triangular polyhedral in order to make near-field sonic boom predictions:

Mmmm… Beeeerrrr.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mysterious-rogue-planet-floating-through-space-may-be-even-odder-than-we-thought-120713935.html

That thing’s going to be full of Xenomorph eggs, mark my words.

It’s Ghroth. Well hopefully not…

If this all sounds ambitious, it certainly is for an agency that doesn’t even have the present capacity to launch its own astronauts to the International Space Station.

People forget that.

NASA achieved wonders, but I’m still not convinced any of this is going to happen and that was before Trump.

It’s been over four decades since a human being set foot on the Moon.

There will be no humans on Mars in our lifetimes.

There are a lot of obstacles to overcome to make a successful manned mission to Mars happen.

First, you’ll have to get there. It means a fifty-million mile trip through interplanetary space and keeping the crew alive and the spacecraft functioning. And radiation exposure once the astronauts are out of Earth’s protective magnetic field. This will take a minimum of six months.

Then you have to land a craft on Mars (which we have done), and then launch it off of the planet (which we haven’t). And the astronauts would probably have to stay on the red planet or in its orbit for several months or well over a year as they wait for the Earth and Mars to realign on the same side of the Sun.

And then we’re looking at another six-months in interplanetary space.

That’s a lot of food, water, and other supplies that will be needed to keep a crew of however many alive.

The Moon, by comparison, is only a quarter of a million miles from Earth at all times, and planning a jaunt there is a cakewalk compared to Mars.

I am growing more confident that it might happen, but it won’t be NASA doing it. It will be these people:

SpaceX are awesome. They’re not just launching rockets, they’re doing it right, the way we always thought it would be done. It’s still early days, but they’re moving in the right direction, and they’re moving incredibly quickly.

If that was true, the rockets would look like this:

Who is going to be the first to Mars, SpaceX or NASA?

I think it will probably be a collaboration. SpaceX are not really in a race with NASA, they’re a contractor of NASA at the moment. What there is is an interesting philosophical position, which people like Elon Musk have, which is that in order to make things better here on Earth, we have to go out into space. And I believe that’s correct. There are an infinite amount of resources out there waiting for us, and so the idea that countries have to compete for a limited amount of resources on the planet and build barriers, that becomes utterly redundant once you have a space-faring civilization. That’s a key part of what people like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson are doing.

People will always argue, compete and outright fight.

Space is, and is likely to remain, expensive.

So anything we get from space will have to justify the cost…

How far away is Pandora again?