millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Oscars and Other Movie Awards

A lot of it is because he was doing introspective relationship movies with elements of self-depecating comedy at a point where nobody else was doing it, and using somewhat of a singular eye when it came to directing, framing the shot, use of music, and naturalistic dialogue. But loads of people do the same thing these days, and Allen’s best movies are 40 years old now. Cinema is hugely different now, and comedy and relationship tropes age very badly, so the social impact of Allen’s work is more in its descendants rather than maybe going back and watching them now. It’s like how Citizen Kane did so many tricks first, but later movies arguably did them better.

And Manhattan is just horribly creepy

Especially as he was dating a teenager when he made it.

It’s pretty hilarious that every decision the Academy makes gets lambasted. This is pretty dumb though, since they said they’d still show the acceptances speeches later in the broadcast and those in attendance will still get to see it all presented. Granted, the Academy should probably cut out 90% of their “aren’t we so great” video packages before moving award presentations to commercials, but people do need to realize that you can’t complain endlessly about the run time of the event and then not expect them to try something like this out.

Also, in this day of streaming everything they could still stream everything that happens during commercials live on the internet for those who are actually interested.

According to the email Bailey sent to members, the four categories will be presented during commercial breaks in the Oscar telecast, but live-streamed on Oscar.com and on the Academy’s social media accounts.

Apparently the commercial breaks are used in-room as a chance for everyone to get to the bar/toilet ASAP, as you’re not allowed out of your seat during the show.

Cinematography and editing are so medium-specific that they’re odd choices to cut for something that ostensibly is meant to be a legitimate part of the film industry. I think it was Guillermo del Toro on Twitter who pointed out that those are essentially the only two categories that only exist in filmmaking and aren’t borrowed from other mediums, like the theater.

It’s probably an inevitable acknowledgement that it’s more of an awards SHOW than awarding achievements in the industry, at least as far as the broadcast itself goes.

People have pointed out that those four categories are four of the five, outside the big eight, in which no Disney movies are nominated. As ABC are the ones making the call on what’s cut, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a link.

All of the categories in which Black Panther, Mary Poppins Returns, etc are nominated are being shown.

It isn’t like the Academy is eliminating the awards in those categories; they are just trying to make the televised ceremony less plodding. Mainstream audiences probably don’t care about cinematography or editing or hair/makeup or live shorts; they’re in the kitchen grabbing a snack while those speeches are going on.

Guillermo del Toro and anyone else who is “outraged” by this decision needs to get over it. Let’s face it: the REAL outrage is that the Harveys and Eisner Awards aren’t being televised at all!!

“In the history of CINEMA, masterpieces have existed without sound, without color, without a story, without actors and without music,” Cuarón tweeted on Tuesday. “No one single film has ever existed without CINEMAtography and without editing.”

Again, it’s not about which awards are deemed to be important and worthy within the film community. This is about what the audience is interested in seeing.

I mean…that’s what I said in the first place?

I still think their argument is dumb. They’re still handing out the awards. The achievement is still be recognized and the winner’s speeches will still be televised at some point during the telecast. At the end of the day the Oscars is just Hollywood patting itself on the back. Most professions don’t get award shows to recognize the achievements the workers and there are plenty of film awards that aren’t televised at all.

Do I think cinematography and editing are kind of weird choices to run during commercials? Sure. But I’d bet 95% of the audience only really care about around a third of the awards in general and that’s what ABC cares about. The nominees still get to come to the show and if they win they still get to go on stage a give a speech to the theater and anyone watching. Just in the case of the TV audience the speeches won’t be live. To complain about that is weirdly entitled. But I guess that’s the image Hollywood likes to convey.

I don’t remember a huge outcry when Polanski was nominated (and won) for best director. In fact he got a standing ovation in 2003. Yet here’s a couple of directors whining about some awards not being televise live. So yeah, pick your battles Hollywood elite. This one is a dumb one.

Sure, but that’s an argument about the Oscars and broadcasting them overall. I think it’s fair that the people who work in the industry offer their feedback on a show of which they’re a part (especially since their a part of the body that awards the Oscars, as well). If the whole thing is just about ego and essentially doesn’t matter, then why get worked up about this particular decision one way or another?

The Baftas already do this and it is a bit annoying. First off, it ruins the prediction games, getting this final dump at the end. Plus it does make it seem like those awards don’t matter as much. Spider-Verse won best animated film, and I got to celebrate that for about twenty-five seconds instead of for three minutes or whatever. It definitely feels like a rush. Same went last year for Roger Deakins finally winning the cinematography category.

There is a certain irony in Bafta fellowship award being given to Thelma Schoonmaker this year, and for the editing award to be dumped at the end of the show under the “awards presented earlier” banner.

Also, how did Vice win best editing?

Or they could out the overwrought “magic of the movies” handjobs, the overblown musical numbers, and most of the dumb jokes, and keep the ceremony moving and ending on time.

If they have to hand out some awards during the commercials, do the short subjects, foreign language, and documentaries off the air. It’s not like the average joe watching from home has ever heard of those nominees or has any chance of seeing them.

Or stream it online and let it run for six hours.

There’s a lot they could do. Essentially everything about the Oscars show is barely changed from the 1950s. There are more inventive ways than just shoving less popular ones to a commercial break.

It’s slow as well because it has a sequence of: host calls on two presenters making some quip, music as they walk slowly on, some lame jokes between presenters, clips shown of all films even if they’ve been seen before in the show, announce winners, speech. Commonly seen in other awards shows - have two presentation plinths, have the guest presenters ready there, that’ll knock 5 -10 minutes off the production.

Don’t stick nominees towards the back of the hall so they take forever to get to the stage, you could have them seated in a ‘nominee zone’ just before their award is announced. Maybe these aren’t the greatest ideas but it is an incredibly conservative setup which is why I think so many are bored of it.

Dear members of the ASC,

Yesterday afternoon the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences announced that the Best Cinematography presentation — as well as the awards for Film Editing, Live-Action Short and Make-up and Hair Styling — would not be broadcast live but presented in a delayed and edited version during the televised Oscar ceremony. This decision was apparently made in order to shorten the length of the Academy Awards broadcast.

After receiving many comments on this matter from ASC members, I think I speak for many of them in declaring this a most unfortunate decision. We consider filmmaking to be a collaborative effort where the responsibilities of the director, cinematographer, editor and other crafts often intersect. This decision could be perceived as a separation and division of this creative process, thus minimizing our fundamental creative contributions.

The Academy is an important institution that represents our artistry in the eyes of the world. Since the organization’s inception 91 years ago, the Academy Awards have honored cinematographers’ talent, craft and contributions to the filmmaking process, but we cannot quietly condone this decision without protest.

Kees van Oostrum
ASC President

https://theasc.com/news/in-response-to-academy-awards-controversy

It’s rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship. The ceremony needs an overhaul. Just trying to make it shorter isn’t the answer.

The show will remain a very boring experience.

Yeah, they do waste a lot of time on the “walks.”

All the acting nominees get put into glass boxes and have to act out a scene from a movie chosen at random from a database, then the audience gets to text vote for who they think is the winner. Whoever wins their category gets to escape the box while the other boxes are filled with slime.