millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Oscars and Other Movie Awards

I honestly don’t think they’re about either of those things. They’re generally about studio politics. You looks at a lot of nominees in the last decade and it’s not really a list of what people are talking about. It’s generally small movies that only hardcore movie lovers might have heard of…and they only know about them because they have “awards buzz”, which seems to just mean that their studios/producers are pushing hard for them to be in consideration.

Title nomenclature dysfunction. If they left it at Beale Street it would have had a better chance (and maybe more audience). I liked the clip until the title, which I found pretentious.

It has become in a sense its own little industry. Films are often given limited releases to qualify then released again much wider when the nomination or win comes in.

It reminds me of the Mercury Music awards in the UK where they nominate quite a lot of obscure stuff from various genres and whether they win or not their sales go through the roof in the weeks after being named.

It works too, I tend to check them out and put them on a watch list as while they sometimes get it badly wrong in most cases there’s something to commend what gets nominated.

There are so many aspects to the film industry. the Oscars are part of the cycle of festivals and awards, Sundance, Telluride, Cannes, Venice etc. It’s very insular, with the same producers, directors and actors popping up time and again. It takes a lot of work to stand out from the crowd.

It’s also why we have the cliche of ‘Oscarbait’, and why we know what ‘arthouse’ means.

Although some mainstream (another term we know) films get into this arena, it’s not what it’s built for.

It’s brilliant, although the humour was a big factor

Between that and spiderverse we got two really great superhero movies

Black Panther was great as well but they botched the final 3rd with the terrible fight scene

I still havnt watched Hugo, but Black Panther isn’t on the same level as any of the other movies you’ve listed there. It’s quite far off it.
It’s a good superhero movie and compares favourably against the other marvel and dc movies, but as soon as you hold it up against a list like that it struggles.

Maybe the problem isn’t what’s been nominated, but what we think the nominations are for?

Best Picture is the Academy’s definition of ‘Best’; a group decision where nominations are decided by committee and then the winner by the membership.

So their priorities are what we see, and their worldview is what shapes that.

If ‘Black Panther’ wins it will be, at least partly, because it’s a significant movie.

I think ‘The Favourite’ is a better film for example, but it’s nowhere near as significant.

Id rather ‘best’ was ‘best’ and not an award for what movie achieves whatever political zeitgeist we are in the midst of at the given moment

Black Panther was the story of the year, got rave reviews (on relative terms) and raked in loads of cash, it doesn’t need an Oscar to falsely manufacture further significance

I’m not just talking about the zeitgeist. ‘Black Panther’ is going to influence future films (what gets made and how they get made) in a way that few films do.

None of the other movies up for the award this year will do that no matter how good they are.

I do see sometimes though a narrative of some kind of manipulation or plan for the Oscars and what gets nominated. While there is a lot of lobbying and the like the voting group is 8000 strong and spread across various parts of the film industry.

We can rather they apply different thought processes to how and why they pick but it’s not really possible. It’s been well known from anecdotes by members that they can vote for stuff they haven’t seen. Is a fantastic set designer any more qualified to judge an acting performance than we are? Is a 75 year old former best actress winner in a great place to judge best special effects?

It will influence regardless, I don’t think it needed a nomination to do that.

It’s a great superhero movie and one would need to be pretty mean spirited to deny it deserves the success that it has - but it is out of place on that list

I personally feel there’s a bit of box ticking going on here for diversity reasons or whatever you want to call it.
Even thinking about recent past winners such as 12 Years A Slave, Moonlight, Slumdog Millionaire, Million Dollar Baby - they managed to achieve this with merit

I have to concede though, that this year having A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody on the list doesn’t feel right either, although I can’t really comment strongly because I havnt seen either of them, so maybe there’s something in them that I’m not aware of that justifies their inclusion.

I think it’s interesting that it used to be fairly easy to spot the Oscar worthy movies each year, but we don’t seem to be making those kind of movies anymore. Instead there’s definitely been a change so the movie that wins is the one that represents social progress, and I think in part it’s a reflection of the political environment, but it’s led to some unworthy Oscar winners.

I can see why you are saying , although I did like both Moonlight and 12 Years

Some good movies still win, though in 2013 I’d have preferred Gravity or Wolfie.

There have always been unworthy Oscar winners, certainly since the 80s. In back-to-back years Driving Miss Daisy won over Do The Right Thing and Dances with Wolves won over Goodfellas…I think those two years, and Crash’s win in 2005, shaped how people thought about the Oscars for decades to come.

I’d add in the English Patient’s win too. Seinfeld made a whole episode blasting how much of a boring slog it is and I wager way more people saw that episode of TV than saw the movie.

BEST FILM

ROMA
Alfonso Cuarón, Gabriela Rodríguez

LEADING ACTRESS

OLIVIA COLMAN
The Favourite

LEADING ACTOR

RAMI MALEK
Bohemian Rhapsody

DIRECTOR

ROMA
Alfonso Cuarón

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM

THE FAVOURITE
Yorgos Lanthimos, Ceci Dempsey, Ed Guiney, Lee Magiday, Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER

BEAST
Michael Pearce (Writer/Director), Lauren Dark (Producer)

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

ROMA
Alfonso Cuarón, Gabriela Rodríguez

DOCUMENTARY

FREE SOLO
Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, Jimmy Chin

ANIMATED FILM

SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE
Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman, Phil Lord

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

THE FAVOURITE
Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

BLACKkKLANSMAN
Spike Lee, David Rabinowitz, Charlie Wachtel, Kevin Willmott

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

RACHEL WEISZ
The Favourite

SUPPORTING ACTOR

MAHERSHALA ALI
Green Book

ORIGINAL MUSIC

A STAR IS BORN
Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga, Lukas Nelson

CINEMATOGRAPHY

ROMA
Alfonso Cuarón

EDITING

VICE
Hank Corwin

PRODUCTION DESIGN

THE FAVOURITE
Fiona Crombie, Alice Felton

COSTUME DESIGN

THE FAVOURITE
Sandy Powell

MAKE UP & HAIR

THE FAVOURITE
Nadia Stacey

SOUND

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
John Casali, Tim Cavagin, Nina Hartstone, Paul Massey, John Warhurst

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS

BLACK PANTHER
Geoffrey Baumann, Jesse James Chisholm, Craig Hammack, Dan Sudick

BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION

ROUGHHOUSE
Jonathan Hodgson, Richard Van Den Boom

BRITISH SHORT FILM

73 COWS
Alex Lockwood

EE RISING STAR

Letitia Wright

OUTSTANDING BRITISH CONTRIBUTION TO CINEMA

Stephen Woolley and Elizabeth Karlsen

Black Panther’s one win was in visual effects, which they’re not nominated for at the Oscars.

Roma and Green Book are probably the front-runners at the Oscars, and with Roma having a Best Foreign Film nomination, and being produced by Netflix, I could see it losing to Green Book but Cuaron getting Best Director and Best Cinematography.

Isn’t Letitia Wright’s win technically a BP win?

It’s why she won, but it’s not listed on the ballot. People could have voted for her because of The Commuter too (they probably didn’t). Also, it’s a public-voted award, so it’s slightly different.

Cynthia Erivo was up too, so if she won you could have counted it as for both Bad Times at the El Royale and Widows. Barry Keoghan’s only movie this year was American Animals, but people would probably be voting for him for Dunkirk.