millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Oscars and Other Movie Awards

Yeah I wonder if Stan and Ollie would have done better if it came out two months ago.

A fair point.

Unrelated to this conversation but the Rotten Tomatoes rating for Paddington 2 is 100% from 218 reviews. Everyone fucking loved it with no exceptions, not one. :joy:

“For more than a decade, movie-lovers have enjoyed the AMC Best Picture Showcase to catch up on the nominated films that played at AMC throughout the prior year. This year, Academy members nominated a film that was never licensed to AMC to play in our theatres. As such, it is not included in the AMC Best Picture Showcase.”

This is interesting:

If the duo’s swing-for-the-fence aspirations ended with a strikeout on Solo it was rewarded with a home run with Spider-Verse . Sony has filed for patent protection for the animation process invented to produce the Columbia Pictures film’s retro stylings, inclusionary spirit and visual audacity that have made it something of a social media sensation.

“We’ve worked on a bunch of movies that we’ve been really proud of and that we think are amazing but we’ve never had a reaction like this,” Miller said. “The outpouring of passion with this one is like nothing I’ve ever seen before. Longtime animation vets are telling me they are having meetings at their studios trying to explain how the movie was even made. People are going to see it a fifth or sixth or seventh time and sending photos of their ticket stubs [out on social media]…people have become such radical supporters of the film. It’s been heartwarming to see.”

I never saw the Queen movie, it didn’t appeal to me at all. I am not going to the movies to hear a couple of Queen songs.

How is The Ballad of Buster Scruggs an adapted screenplay?

Maybe because they were developing it as a tv show first? I admit to having no clue, and always remembering how weird the Academy rules are on original and adapted screenplays.

Maybe because two of the stories were based on short stories?

That would do it.

I guess. It seems odd that the short stories were written by the Coens and, as far as I can tell, weren’t previously published.

The previously published thing came up with Moonlight, IIRC, which was based on an unproduced play.

Yeah they are super strict on the ‘adapted’ definition, it may be vaguely based on a haiku and it gets that tag but at least they are consistent.

Weren’t some of the tales based on real life stories? Like the one with the girl and the dog?

Real-life doesn’t matter; Green Book is in original. If they used a specific source, it’s adapted.

I just found this:

“While the stories vary from one about a singer/sharpshooter to one about the Oregon Trail, they all involve death in some way, whether it’s someone being killed (which happens often) or a dead person being transported on a covered wagon. The stories also all contain classic aspects of the old west — standoffs, outlaws, gold digging — and some are more directly based on actual existing stories than others. The segment called “The Gal Who Got Rattled” shares a title, a character name, and some of the plot with a story by Stewart Edward White. As pointed out by CBS, the one called “All Gold Canyon” is based on a story by Jack London.”

I wonder if this will have an impact on nominees associated with the movie:

I think there is a not-zero chance that Black Panther will win.

I would put that, Roma, and Blackklansman as the three most likely.

If nothing else, Black Panther is the most likely nominee from 2018 to still be positively remembered by the world at large in ten year’s time.

If by some statistical anomaly Black Panther wins, can we finally put to bed that the Oscars represent cinema’s finest achievements?

There’s a bunch of people online complaining that Black Panther got a best movie nomination over Infinity War (and in at least one case, John Wick), and it’s fucking hilarious.