millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Oscars and Other Movie Awards

Agreed, he is brilliant in it.

HMV are doing an awards season movie face-off over Twitter

Looking at their match-ups, I thought it would be fun to see who you would declare the overall winner.
My final would probably have La La Land beating out Arrival. What is yours?

Terminator 2 beats Godfather.

Gladiator beats Godfather in a close finish

Those are some strange movie choices, but my bracket would probably see Apocalypse Now taking on Terminator 2. I think one bracket is clearly stronger than the other, though. Having Casablanca, Godfather, Apocalypse Now, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Wizard of Oz, Arrival, and There Will Be Blood when the other bracket doesn’t have a single movie made before 1980 is weird.

If this was weighted like March Madness or Wimbledon, Wizard of Oz would never meet Silence of the Lambs in Round 1.

Godfather beats Terminator 2 in the final for mine, however some badly weighted contests in the knockout rounds…

Siliy minkies! (Quoth Wizard of Oz),

Left column boils down to The Godfather, matched against the right coulumn’s Blade Runner. Blade Runner by a Beatty.

Wizard of Oz beats Goodfellas in the finals for me.

My final four is Oz, Godfather, Fargo, and Goodfellas.

Me too. I think Godfather beats There Will be Blood in one semi and T2 beats Titanic in the other.

That was a strangely fun exercise, too.

Yeah, this was fun. This is literally the first time I’ve ever done bracketing.

I ended up with Apocalypse Now, Arrival, Fargo, and Blade Runner as the Final 4. Apocalypse beats Arrival, Blade Runner beats Fargo, Blade Runner beats Apocalypse and takes the win.

Either the Director’s Cut or Final Cut versions win for me. Only movie I love more than BR is Mulholland Drive.

With directors and cinematographers, I don’t see many first timers getting nominated. With writers, I think less experienced have more a chance.

However, a first grader can be nominated and even win an Oscar for acting, so I wonder exactly how significant an award it can be. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Of late I’ve had a crave to watch Apocalypse Now again. Haven’t seen Arrival yet.

I should watch it again, too. It’s been almost a decade since I last saw it. Unfortunately it’s one of those movies you have to be in a very specific mood for.

For me it’s Godfather beating Goodfellas.

I can always put on Apocalypse Now as a background white noise sound. The music and sound effects are brilliant.

Never did get that into Goodfellas, and The Godfather requires me to be in a bit of a mood. Blade Runner, however, puts me in a mood. So do most of my favorite movies.

Blade Runner beats The Wizard of Oz by a narrow margin.

Godfather vs Blade Runner with Good fellas and Silence of the lambs as the other films in the final 4. My perverse nature keeps wanting to see the two mob movies going up against each other but Blade Runner is the better movie.

Casablanca makes it a long way. The dual war/love stories are a winner. Plus Dooley Wilson.