millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Oscars and Other Movie Awards

As he goes for the EGOT, Hamilton creator Miranda will team with Cravalho on “How Far I’ll Go,” which he co-wrote for Disney’s Moana. Ex-Police man Sting will perform “The Empty Chair,” which he co-wrote for the HBO documentary Jim: The James Foley Story. Legend — already an Oscar winner for his song “Glory” from Selma — will perform “Audition (The Fools Who Dream)” and “City of Stars,” two songs he co-wrote for Oscar front-runner La La Land. And Timberlake will sing “Can’t Stop the Feeling,” which he co-wrote for DreamWorks Animation & Fox’s Trolls and became a pop smash, debuting at No. 1 on the Billboard 100 and ending as the best-selling song of 2016.

I get that Emma Stone doesn’t want to do it - she’s not a professional singer - but Legend singing “Audition (The Fools Who Dream)” feels weird. It doesn’t seem suited to his style at all.

My wife told me Lin-Manuel was nominated. That’s so fucking exciting. If he wins, he’ll be the youngest person to get an EGOT. My wife’s friend, Chris, has his EG and narrowly missed out on the T to another Hamilton cast member.

Legend can probably do a solid version of it, but I don’t think his rendition is likely to capture the same feeling/impact the song brings to the movie. Could be wrong, though.

BEST FILM
“La La Land,” Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz, Marc Platt

DIRECTOR
Damien Chazelle, “La La Land”

LEADING ACTOR
Casey Affleck, “Manchester By the Sea”

LEADING ACTRESS
Emma Stone, “La La Land”

BEST ANIMATED FILM
“Kubo and the Two Strings”

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Dev Patel, “Lion”

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Viola Davis, “Fences”

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
“Manchester By the Sea,” Kenneth Lonergan

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
“Lion,” Luke Davies

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
“Son of Saul,” Laszlo Nemes, Gabor Sipos

DOCUMENTARY
“13th,” Ava DuVernay, Spencer Averick, Howard Barish

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
“I, Daniel Blake,” Ken Loach, Rebecca O’Brien, Paul Laverty

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
Babak Anvari (Writer/Director), Emily Leo, Oliver Roskill, Lucan Toh (Producers), “Under the Shadow”

EE RISING STAR AWARD (VOTED FOR BY THE PUBLIC)
Tom Holland

ORIGINAL MUSIC
“La La Land,” Justin Hurwitz

CINEMATOGRAPHY
“La La Land,” Linus Sandgren

EDITING
“Hacksaw Ridge,” John Gilbert

PRODUCTION DESIGN
“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” Stuart Craig, Anna Pinnock

COSTUME DESIGN
“Jackie,” Madeline Fontaine

MAKE UP AND HAIR
“Florence Foster Jenkins,” J. Roy Helland, Daniel Phillips

SOUND
“Arrival,” Sylvain Bellemare, Claude La Haye, Bernard Gariépy Strobl

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
“The Jungle Book”

BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION
“A Love Story,” Khaled Gad, Anushka Kishani Naanayakkara, Elena Ruscombe-King

BRITISH SHORT FILM
“Home,” Shpat Deda, Afolabi Kuti, Daniel Mulloy, Scott O’Donnell

OUTSTANDING BRITISH CONTRIBUTION TO CINEMA (PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED)
Curzon

Dev Patel for Supporting Actor is the only real surprise. I like the movie, but Maharshala Ali or Jeff Bridges would have been a much better choice.

I’m glad Lonergan won for Screenplay, and Anvari for Outstanding Debut.

I watched Lion last night.

Patel was really good in it - he nailed the accent.

Watched five minutes of the Grammys - by accident. Later read Russian-novel-sized-list of nominees and awards. Other than Adele, I know one album well - Iggy Pop’s Post Pop Depression and one I own Live at the Greek with Joe Bonamassa.

I’ve often been disconnected with “what’s happening in the music industry”. Not weird, I know people in the biz who feel the same way. This was just not a year for fat old men in flannel playing guitars, I guess.

In my own little neck of the woods, 'Jungle Book’s win for VFX was well deserved.

The Grammies were pretty good. Loved Tribe Called Quest’s performance, loved Beyonce’s performance, loved Chance the Rapper’s performance. I don’t care about who wins the awards, but then neither do the voters.

I didn’t watch the show as I forgot it was even on but I saw this on Youtube and thought it was fantastic. It was up there with Kendrick Lamar’s performance last year.

Exactly, I always enjoy awards shows and ‘best of’ lists, not because I really care who wins in a hugely subjective comparison but that they highlight a lot of the best stuff to check out.

Here’s an interesting video about The Oscars and how instant run-off voting (similar to @Lorcan_Nagle’s favorite first past the post system when there are multiple entrants) is giving the advantage to a certain kind of film to win.

mentions only Moonlight

Huff

I’d not actually heard of Hillary’s America but it sounds pretty terrible.

Who id like to win
Best film
Moonlight

Best actor
Casey Affleck

Best actress
Fuck knows I’ve only seen La La Land and Emma Stone wasn’t particularly great - I liked Negga in the trailers though and I think Loving looks great

Best director
Dennis Villeneuve

Who I think will win
Best film
La La Land

Best actor
Andrew Garfield

Best actress
Ruth Negga

Best director
Damien Chazelle

You didn’t like Emma?

I’d be quite happy for her and Garfield to win together, but I don’t think it’s his time.

That’s because she had to work so damned hard to carry Ryan Gosling’s cardboard cutout ass. :wink:

I like her but I don’t think she’s prize winning material - I thought she just played Emma Stone in la la land, with added singing

I think Garfield is a really cheesy actor, he needs amother couple decades

I thought Emma Stone carried La La Land and acted her ass off, so I’m cool with her winning. But I think hers was also the only performance in that category I saw, so it’s hard to say who should win.

He was impressive enough in The Social Network - word is he’s great in Silence. If he were to win for Hacksaw Ridge it’s likely taking into account those other two performances as well.