Comics Creators

Oscars and Other Movie Awards

Awards season is underway. I’m going to start with the VFX long list of 20 films, as that’s been published now;

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 20 films are in the running in the Visual Effects category for the 88th Academy Awards®.

The films are listed below in alphabetical order:

“Avengers: Age of Ultron”
“Bridge of Spies”
“Ex Machina”
“Furious Seven”
“The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2”
“In the Heart of the Sea”
“Jupiter Ascending”
“Jurassic World”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation”
“The Revenant”
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”
“Terminator Genisys”
“The Walk”

The Academy’s Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee determined the preliminary shortlist. This year, in the Visual Effects category, the number of eligible films initially shortlisted for further consideration was increased to a maximum of 20 titles. The number of films that will be shortlisted for nominations voting remains at 10, which will be announced later this month.

The 88th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Thursday, January 14, 2016, at 5:30 a.m. PT at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.

The 88th Oscars® will be held on Sunday, February 28, 2016, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be televised live by the ABC Television Network at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.

In terms of quality I’d say ‘Ex Machina’ is as good as anything out there, but it’s such a small film I don’t think it stands a chance.

It would be great if Ex Machina was rewarded, as the effects were really impressive, and especially so given the scale of the production compared to some of the other films on that list. They were also used really well, always serving the story rather than being shown off in their own right.

But yes, it’s up against some pretty big competition.

I kind of like Mad Max: Fury Road for this. It was obviously extremely heavy on effects but I felt like they were almost invisible and didn’t get in the way of the story.

Did you work on any of these, Steve, or are you not able to divulge that kind of info?

I have no horse in this race.

Some of my friends worked on various contenders so I’m wishing them good luck.

Actually, some of them worked on more than one of these films so they’re competing with themselves.

Like steveuk, I’d be hard pressed to pick a favourite since mates of mine worked on some of these flicks.

That said, I’d be leaning towards CHAPPIE, mostly because, the vfx were tight, it’s 99% homegrown and it features DIE ANTWOORD. :smile:

The right answer is clearly The Walk.

This seems to mean there are Academy prints available for home viewing. Which makes me wonder about all the security measures for SW:TFA.

This is the category where I want to watch all the nominees!

I’d say The Walk’s terrible box-office performance may work against it.

That shouldn’t matter, but in any case, the film looks remarkably unreal in many places.

I think ‘Star Wars’ is going to be on the list (big surprise), ‘The Martian’ and ‘Mad Max’ as well.

Given that ‘The Revenant’ is using a lot of the same techniques as ‘Birman’ I’ll be interested to see how well publicised the VFX actually are?

Where the hell is Adam Savage when we need his opinion?

You haven’t seen Star Wars yet. Star Wars will take this - the work in the trailers alone is incredible. It’ll set a new standard in effects mixing CGI and real props.

I thought that was a given. :wink:

I’m actually very excited for a return to form for more practical effects in the Star Wars franchise.

The Golden Globe nominations are up:

[quote]Best Motion Picture, Drama
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant

Best Motion Picture, Comedy
The Big Short
The Martian

Best Director – Motion Picture
Todd Haynes, Carol
Alejandro Iñárritu, The Revenant
Tom McCarthy, Spotlight
George Miller, Mad Max
Ridley Scott, The Martian

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Rooney Mara, Carol
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Comedy
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Melissa McCarthy, Spy
Amy Schumer, Trainwreck
Maggie Smith, Lady in the Van
Lily Tomlin, Grandma

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
Jane Fonda, Youth
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Helen Mirren, Trumbo
Alicia Vikander, Ex Machina
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
Will Smith, Concussion

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
Christian Bale, The Big Short
Steve Carell, The Big Short
Matt Damon, The Martian
Al Pacino, Danny Collins
Mark Ruffalo, Infinitely Polar Bear

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Paul Dano, Love & Mercy
Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Michael Shannon, 99 Homes
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
Emma Donoghue, Room
Tom McCarthy, Josh Singer, Spotlight
Charles Randolph, Adam McKay, The Big Short
Aaron Sorkin, Steve Jobs
Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight

Best Animated Feature Film
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out
The Peanuts Movie
Shaun the Sheep Movie

Best Original Song
"Love Me Like You Do" 50 Shades of Grey
"One Kind of Love" Love and Mercy
"See You Again" Furious 7
"Simple Song No. 3" Youth
"Writing’s on the Wall" Spectre

Best Original Score
Carter Burwell, Carol
Alexandre Desplat, The Danish Girl
Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight
Daniel Pemberton, Steve Jobs
Ryuichi Sakamoto Alva Noto, The Revenant

Best Motion Picture, Foreign Language
The Brand New Testament
The Club
The Fencer
Son of Saul[/quote]

Nothing too awful, considering it’s the Globes. Vikander for Ex Machina is a nice surprise.

Pleasantly surprised at the two big nods for Mad Max.

Everyone in ‘Ex Machina’ was great, but the film did depend on her the most.

The Martian is nominated for best comedy, not best drama?

That’s just weird. Yes, it has a few funny lines, but so does life. Any drama that didn’t have a few funny lines wouldn’t be a very good drama.

There’s no way The Martian is a comedy.

Yup. It’s the studio’s choice; drama is a much tougher category.

Ok, I can see how you could game the system by putting it in a category with less competition. But then, how are people judging the comedy category? If it’s “which is the best-looking film with the coolest special effects?” then I dare say it will win. If it’s “which is the funniest film?”, which is how I hope they would judge a comedy category, then it hasn’t got a hope.

It’s the HFPA. No-one knows how they decide anything.

The only reason people care about the Globes is that they’re the last big awards before the Oscars, so it can sometimes be used as a predictor.

In essentially a daft premise the Golden Globes have the most limited voting panel and turn up bizarre quirks on eligibility.

My take on awards is always to never take them seriously but they do eventually point you to some great content. It’s not often in any poll, however flawed in methodology, the entries are bad. I like the Channel 4 shows on the best movies or records, they are cheap TV and I almost never agree with them but usually end up with a prompt for something good to consume.