millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Original Comic Art - Pages, Sketches, Commissions, Doodles etc

As I’m sure folks are aware I’m a teacher. One of my jobs outwith the classroom is to mentor and support new teachers in their very first year of their career (what we call their probation year). Rebecca, the woman I’ve spent the last year working with, is from Dundee originally. Dundee is the home of DC Thompson, the publishing company behind a great many comics - Beano, Dandy, Commando comics, Oor Wullie, The Broons to name a few. A great many of their titles hold a lot of fond memories given these comics were ones I read regularly when I was growing up and were an introduction to comic books long before 2000AD and US comics. Anyway it turns out Rebecca’s grandfather worked on a great many of these titles until he retired in the early 2000s.He isn’t one of the big names, not Ken Reid or Leo Baxenden, but he still had a decent collection of strips under his belt. This was mentioned very early in the year and Rebecca mentioned that his health was failing and that he doesn’t draw much any more and it was all quite sad. Today was the last day of the school year and Rebecca is moving back home to a new school. Before she left she presented me with a bag of beers and a mug - all very standard thank you gifts. She then followed it up with the two framed illustrations below.

It obvious they haven’t been produced by someone at the top of their game but there’s a hell of a lot of character in them and the fact they’re a parting gift from someone I’d grown quite fond of means I absolutely love these.

13 Likes

That’s awesome. I think those are worth more than any paid commission from a big name artist.

5 Likes

Fantastic.

2 Likes

That’s incredible, Bruce. My great grandmother’s second husband used to work at the printing plant in Sparta, Illinois where all American comics used to be printed but this far and away trumps that.

1 Like

Oh cool, he drew Ball Boy when I was reading it. Those are lovely pieces he did for you.

2 Likes

Great stuff

1 Like

This is something I’ve been idly working on recently - a digital reconstruction of the Transformers UK logo and corner box - with an eye to printing some up on Bristol board for some faux-sketch cover commissions (specifically actual cover recreations or original ideas for covers. I aim to do a Visionaries layout too).

(original TFUK issue for comparison. UK comics being almost A4 size is dead handy).

That’s a test print on cheap A4. I’ve just got a new printer with a secondary gravity paper feed which I think can handle Bristol board (I’m not going to try any until I’m sure of what I’m printing, as I don’t want to waste it, but it handled photo paper of about the same weight). My worry is, will a home printed logo like that hold up both to being drawn on/around and to fading? I’ve not actually had a proper sketch cover in hand, so I don’t know how the logos are printed and how much artists need to worry about working around them.

1 Like

Love this. London film and comic con is a few weeks away and there are quite a few transformers artists going. Would be perfect.

1 Like

It’s a really great idea. Make sure to post any final sketches Martin.

Will do. I tweeted about it and Nick Roche saw it and seemed very keen on the concept. I am actually going to LFCC but I’ve already arranged a load of other sketches (including four with Roche) so these will have to wait a while. Maybe next year. I’m fade-testing them currently.

What day are you going? We should catch up if both there the same day.

Also, 4 from Nick! I mailed him and am on the fence about getting something as I already have 6 from previous years.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?artist=Nick+Roche&GCat=87116

2 Likes

Amazing Bruce

1 Like

TF artist Andrew Griffiths has spent the last five years working on a mega commission and just finished it, it’s HUGE

5 Likes

He missed a bit.

1 Like