millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Old Comics Thread

Wow, I had no idea that that expression went back so far. I thought it was a recent thing.

Christian, all the good stuff started in the Silver Age.

Actually I have no idea when it dates from. I wonder if Jerry Siegel invented the term? Some research may be needed…

Origin is usually given as early nineties or late eighties, with popularisation happening via Rush Limbaugh (as one would have expected).

But Google does that graph thing where the mentions of a word are shown, and there is an instance in the sixties, apparently…

However, this is supposedly based on a search of the Google Books database, but if you do a google books search, the earliest instance it gives me is 1989. So yeah, I guess Jerry Siegel was secretly the first to use the term, and it took a while to catch on.

You beat me to it :slight_smile:

Siegel spells it “FEMNAZ”, and there’s no hit for that on the book search. I’m assuming the corpus doesn’t include comics because they’re too hard to digitize.

Edit before a pedant corrects me: I mean digitize and extract the text, obviously.

How do we know that the “Naz” element is a Nazi reference, and not just some alien-sounding thing added to “Fem”, and it’s just a coincidence that “Feminazi” was coined in the 80s? And if it was, Feminazi has the extra “i” in there; Feminist Nazi, that is, the Femin part of “Feminist” is an essential part of the word. That would make Siegel’s planet a different word, because he took a smaller part of the word “Feminist” then those who coined “Feminazi”.
EDIT: I mean the “n” comes from both “Feminist” and “Nazi”.
Also, I’m reading Silver Age JLA. Goofy, but when I first got into comics, I was interested in the origins, that is the older stories, of the DC and Marvel Universes, and the Philly library had a whole set of early JLA stories, so it’s oddly, even though I was born in the Modern Age, nostalgic for me.

Did Jerry Siegel pull an Al Capp?

Question: when I’m done with both JLA and the Great Darkness Saga, should I read John’s JSA or Atomic Robo first?
EDIT: I also have Snyder’s Batman as an option. What order should I read them?
EDIT 2: I’ll probably also have Morrison’s Doom Patrol when I’m done. That just complicates things, but it still works as part of my question.

I have The Great Darkness Saga, which I’ll read after JLA. (@davidm) But after that, what order should I read Johns’ JSA, Atomic Robo and Snyder’s Batman?

I don’t like Johns a lot, so I don’t know when to read that, but Atomic Robo is great. Maybe Doom Patrol first, though, as it’s a bit heavier reading in comparison, and then Robo as a snack after that. Then, Snyder’s Batman.

Personally I’d only read Atomic Robo (it’s great) and get rid of the rest.

Kalman, read JSA

It’s well thought of, and well thought of for a reason

Snyder’s Batman is very patchy

Atomic Robo, I couldn’t advise you, one way or the other.

But JSA is really great

Snyder’s Batman, go for:

Court of Owls
Zero Year
Eternal

Maybe a femnaz is a female member of the Russian spetsnaz troops.

See, that’s my hang-up with saying it’s a Nazi reference. Sure, spelling-wise they look the same, but any Native English would pronounce Femnaz as fehm-nahz, If he was going for “Nazi”, it would be Femnatz, IMO.

I like his early Flash GL work, but then he went off the rails in forcing the idea that his “emotional spectrum” idea was the only part of the GL mythos worth exploring.

From what I’ve heard, it’s a great creator-owned…well, not series, as it’s a group of minis, so I’m not sure what to call it, that takes place on an alternate timeline where Tesla was successful business wise, and created an immortal AI Robot, who’s an adventurer and Tesla’s successor after his death. I saw a review of the 3rd mini, and it looks awesome, not taking itself too seriously, but being a sort of self-aware “love letter” to Doc Savage like heroes, except a robot, with a bit of Superhero influence.I think I’ll read it before JSA and DP, as I need a break from DC, and “traditional” Superheroes in general.
EDIT: I think I’ll read JSA first. Continue my DC streak.

Uncanny X-Men #394 - 409 + Annual 2001 - otherwise known as the Joe Casey run, that started in conjunction with Morrison’s, and lead into Chuck Austen’s.

It’s a weird run. And, not in a good way. All things being said and done it’s probably the worst X-Men run that I’ve read. Artistic inconsistency hurt the book terribly, but Casey didn’t help either. He wrote the team as a bunch of unrepentant douchebags, especially Bobby Drake (who managed to do pretty much nothing for 17 issues, other than hang around in the background mouthing off ineffectually), resulting in a cold, emotional disinterested read.

#394 was perhaps the worst issue of the lot, with a ridiculous plot whose sole purpose was to justify that cover image.

#395-398, the “Poptopia” arc, showed a lot of promise actually, and was the highlight of the run from a storytelling perspective.

#399 featured the introduction of the mutant hooker, Stacey X, who was actually far more interesting a character than I thought she would be.

#400 was a completely uneventful anniversary issue.

The Annual had nice art by Ashley Wood.

#401 - 406 was the X-Corps storyline. A bizarre plot where Banshee went off the deep end, creating an extreme paramilitary organisation of mutants, resulting in the the destruction of Paris, with little consequence. Artwork by an even more eclectic mix of Ron Garney, Aaron Lopresti and Sean Philips.

#407 - I have no idea what happened in this. Nightcrawler, out of the blue, starts being a dick.

And, finally, #408 & 409 have Casey and Philips effectively doing a pilot for their Wildcats run, with the X-Men solving problems through corporate means rather than with their fists.

I do wonder if that Wildcats run holds up now, as I did really enjoy it back in the day. I’m very surprised at how really disappointing this Uncanny run ended up.

I recently grabbed the trades, having never read it before, so I’ll find out soon! :slight_smile:

I’d reckon Casey’s Wildcats still holds up.

I wouldn’t use the X-Men as a barometer; they’re too easy to botch. And even then, he was stuck playing sloppy seconds to Morrison.