millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Old Comics Thread

Oh, ignore me, I somehow managed to not notice you mentioned it in your post.

You are technically correct, though (insert meme). For Cameron’s movies he tends to call his Director’s Cut versions ‘special editions’. Like Peter Jackson he doesn’t seem to like the DC label.

Michael Kaluta’s artistic strengths are totally wasted on that adaptation. He would be better suited to an adaptation of Avatar.

Maybe. But I actually liked seeing this more grounded stuff from him. I’ve loved his art in stuff like Starstruck but I might like this even better.

You know, this board could do with a bit more discussion about Star Wars these days.

Classic Star Wars: Devilworlds #1 & #2

This week’s trip into marginally-obscure-stories-by-a-favourite-creator territory is Star Wars: Devilworlds, a 1996 two-issue reprint series by Dark Horse that collects all of Alan Moore’s short stories from the SW universe (and a couple by Steve Moore too).

Unlike their initial appearances in the UK Empire Strikes Back magazine several decades ago, the strips are coloured here - and they’re also presented out of order, with the first issue collecting two of the slightly more straightforward stories (starring Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker). Still, there’s no direct connection between any of them, so that doesn’t matter.

If I had to compare these stories to other Moore works, it would probably be to his Future Shocks and Time Twisters for 2000AD. They show the same strengths - tight plotting, fast pace, efficient dialogue - and also share the same sense of whimsy and weirdness. The first story, for example opens like this:

…before building to a great ending that sees Vader turn the tables on his two opponents.

1448549547-2

John Stokes’ art is great throughout.

And the Luke Skywalker story is interesting too, with some weird dreamlike monster sequences and an interesting character in the form of Rur (who I recently saw re-imagined in Kieron Gillen’s Doctor Aphra series, without realising he was an original Moore creation), the spirit of a mystical enemy of the Jedi who has been trapped inside a crystal for centuries.

Putting both of these (relatively) grounded stories in the first issue leaves the second issue free to get really weird with some tales of space-gods that can bend reality to their whims, torture people eternally, or form an entire planet of metal that can rise up in defence of droidkind to knock Star Destroyers out of the sky. Yes, really.

There’s a short story involving Princess Leia that feels more like something from Ditko-era Dr Strange than a Star Wars story, reducing Leia to a supporting character and focusing more on the titular goddess.

(That’s more great art from Stokes.)

There’s also a fun story involving R2D2 and C3PO that sees them encounter someone who might be a deluded, rusty old droid - or might be a manifestation of a new droid god.

BrotherFivelines

(That one’s illustrated by Alan Davis.)

The weirdest one collected here though is a romp involving Han Solo, Leia and Chewbacca as they journey through a sort of cosmic Bermuda triangle and get abducted by sadistic space-gods who put Chewie in a menagerie and torture Leia and Han both in body and mind. It’s actually deeply unpleasant, especially for a Star Wars story, and the subject matter is really at odds with the jaunty, knockabout style in which it’s written.

Still, it’s the only real misfire across the two issues (Steve Moore’s stories aren’t anything particularly noteworthy but aren’t terrible either, which is no great loss as I bought these mainly out of interest in the Alan Moore stories).

It’s fun to read these stories from an era where continuity was less important and creators could operate on these big franchises with a lot more latitude. They don’t feel like what we would think of today as classic Star Wars type stories, but they stretch the property in interesting and bold new directions, they’re well-written, and the art is good.

Star Wars is going to take over every thread on the forum isn’t it?

I enjoyed those stories. They come from that time, just after the first movie, when Star Wars was still ill-defined and guys like Moore could just sort of go crazy with the concept.

I wonder actually with those UK strips if anyone from Lucasfilm approved them. I have no idea but I can imagine the US office agreed the licence and then they just did their own thing in a little corner. When Marvel UK started in the 70s it was quite controlled out of the New York office but by the 80s they seemed to have been left to their own devices.

My brother bought me the individual issues of Grant Morrison’s Seven Soldiers of Victory for my Xmas and I was about to start reading them this evening when I realised I didn’t have a clue to order to tackle them in. Is there a definative reading order?

EDIT:

This is in the back of the zero issue? Does this look about right?

That looks about right to me, but it’s been a long time since I read it.

Actually, here you go dude, there’s a reading order on here if you scroll down a wee bit

I think you should randomly shuffle them and read them in that order. It’s the way Grant Morrison would have wanted it. :wink:

I read them in release order. It worked.

Release order is pretty much correct I think (one final issue of one of the minis was delayed a little so was released out of order - Zatanna if I remember right?).

Back when I still had a ton of longboxes, I’m pretty sure I even filed them in release order, because the individual minis aren’t as strong as the whole.

Scooby-Doo Team-Up #39

By Solly Fisch (writer), Dario Brizuela (artist) and Franco Riesco (colourist)

The story begins at the public opening of an antique box that has the words ‘DO NOT OPEN’ engraved on it:

Predictably, demonic entities come out, and quicker than you can say ‘CEI-U’, Doctor Fate has whisked the gang off to 1942 where they Join the Justice Society of America, and

And look, I don’t care what anybody says, this series is the best monthly comic being published by DC at the moment. Where else can you see old favourites like the JSA, all acting beautifully in character, non of this post-modern revisionist rubbish or smirking at the reader while showing us how silly Golden and Silver Age comics were.

Well, maybe a little smirking:

This comic works because it’s so obvious that Solly Fisch loves the characters he writes about . Honestly, everybody who also loves them should be reading this series.

Sorry, got confused and posted in the wrong thread. The comic isn’t old, it’s on the shelves now.

In my defence, I normally assume that a comic this good must be old :wink:

Should I change the title to Old People Post About Comics Thread? :wink:

Isn’t that just MillarWorld?

Who posts about comics on Millarworld?

Well, I got that new collection of Dork by Evan Dorkin last week, and did you know it has the page with the David Byrne gets Alzheimer’s strip in it?