millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Old cartoons...

I sometimes see the Simpsons, Family Guy, etc. but my money is still with the nostalgic old stuff like the Flintstones, Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker, Chilly Willy, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Underdog etc.

Bugs Bunny was MEAN and so was Woody. The genius coyote never did catch the roadrunner.
Then there was the little penguin Chilly Willy. Tom and Jerry was funny too.

Any cartoons from back in the day that you remember?

I LOVED Roger Ramjet when I was a kid.

Edit: And Batfink. How could I forget Batfink.

Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Dexter’s Laboratory, The Justice Friends, Rugrats and a lot of others.These were great back in the day.Making watching tv as a kid a great time. :smiley:

Just a few of the ones I remember:

‘MANDRAKE!’

Ahhh, how I long for a Defenders Of The Earth Cinematic Universe.

I’ve just acquired the full series of Robotech, a show I only ever saw bits and pieces of as a kid, and then again when it was repeated circa 1995.

It really affected me as a youngster, quite mature themes for a cartoon at the time - I’m slowly working my way through it and still enjoying it. Great design work, and a quirkiness that comes as a result of not only being originally Japanese, content but also rewritten to combine three unrelated Japanese shows into one generation spanning epic so as to qualify for US syndication broadcast.

A live action film has been mooted for a while - were I casting it now I’d have Kiefer Sutherland as Roy Fokker, and Andrew Garfield as Rick Hunter. Maybe James Franco as Kyle.

Kiefer’s kinda long in the tooth to play Roy.

I loved me some Rocky & Bullwinkle, particularly ‘Fractured Fairy Tales’. All the Looney Tunes stuff. I have a special love for Betty Boop, mostly the stuff very censored nowadays. The Dave Fleischer Superman cartoons! Huckleberry Hound. Foghorn Leghorn. Some Russian stuff (very dark, and that’s not just the amount of ink used). Fantasia. Ralph BAKSHI! (Okay, I kinda hero-worship Ralph, mostly for the war he waged trying to get his Lord of the Rings made. Movies are great, too. Mostly. Couple clunkers. But I liked him well enough long enough ago one of my first published stories featured “Prince Bakshi”. And, yeah, at one point he had trouble with baksheesh.)

Saturday morning cartoons used to go 6 to 10 a.m., plenty of time for the kid (me) to get up and get a good dose of toons - and maybe a bowl of cereal - while allowing the parental units a bit of rest. One thing I dislike about this current alternate reality is the lack of such a childhood bonding experience. This is what happens when you schedule a childhood instead of parenting it.

FELIX THE CAT!

Whenever he gets in a fix /
he reaches into his Bag of Tricks
Felix the Cat
The wonderful, wonderful cat…

Oh wow. So many good memories out here already.
I loved the old Warner Bros cartoons. It was only when I got older that I realised that most of them were never meant for children. Of course, in apartheid South Africa you took what you could get and I learned a lot about old Hollywood from the references in the cartoons. I still use those references today. LOL. They were incredibly politically incorrect though. The WW2 ones are amazing propaganda. I have a full collection of banned Looney Tunes cartoons stored somewhere.

Then there’s Garfield and Friends… also loaded with gags not meant for kids but crazy funny. Every episode was a winner.

Anyone remember The Galaxy Rangers? Holy bionics, Batman! “Dedicated to preserving law and order across the new frontier”? Sign me up! Also: the most badass theme song of any cartoon ever. EVER. And yeah…it was better than Bravestarr.

I could go on and on with this (Atom Ant, The Herculoids (Tara…unf), The Ghostbusters, Bionic Six, GI Joe, Mask, Centurions, Spiral Zone, Dino Riders, Sabre Rider, He-Man, Wacky Races, The Groovy Goonies, The Archies, Top Cat, Dastardly and Muttley, etc) but I’m gonna end with a perpetual classic:

Thanks for a great trip down memory lane. I think I’m gonna spend the rest of the day YouTubing episodes of these cartoons.

BTW: @JRCarter gets a massive like for including Defenders of The Earth!!! One of the best shows ever! I so wanted to be Mandrake.

The Mysterious Cities of Gold always springs to mind.

I like Bugs because he’s the consummate smart ass, but Fooghorn Leghorn is my favorite WB character, ah say, ah say, Foghorn Leghorn is my favorite WB character. The cartoons presumably take place in the South but the barnyard dog has a northern accent, that made me wonder as a kid.

l dig Ralph E. Wolf and Sam Sheepdog too, there’s something about how hard they fight each other at work, but seem like friends off the clock.

I have all of those too, though haven’t rewatched it since the 80s.

As a small child I was nigh on obsessive about Battle of the Planets. As I got older, people I knew never seemed to have seen the show, so I started to wonder if I had imagined it all.

Then I saw it for sale on DVD in a store. I bought it and brought it home, expecting to recapture a few moments of my childhood and immediately watched 3 episodes and thought to myself “Well, this is really quite padded out, isn’t it. All of that 7-Zark-7 stuff. What did I see in it as a child?” I realise that it was down to the difficulties of translating a Japanese anime series with violence for a kiddies audience in the 1980’s, but it was all over the place.

I still love Roadrunner though. Wile E Coyote is a tragic hero in the very best sense of the word. And I loved the Hanna Barbera stuff like Scooby Doo and Quick Draw McGraw…To this day, all of my family have a habit of nicknaming small children in our family after Hanna Barbera characters (my nieces have been various called Boo Boo, Baba Louie, Scrappy Doo, Tuffy mouse…you get where I’m going)

Anything Hanna Barbera( Captain Caveman, Jabber Jaw, Magilla etc.), Thundarr the Barbarian, G.I.Joe, Transformers, TigerSharks, Voltron and of course Masters of the Universe.

Lots of my favourites already mentioned so far.

I also loved this:

(J. Michael Straczynski’s best work)

And this:

(Mainly for the theme song)

My daughter is still too young for cartoons, but man I can’t wait to bombard her with the oldies!

Flintstones
Jetson’s
Laugh Olympics
The Snorks

But I especially love the original run of Disney afternoon cartoons. Something about Duck Tales, Gummy Bears & Tailspin that just lights me up.

Best Barney Rubble Clip Ever…

Liz and I are huge fans of the Warner Brothers’ Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons and shorts, and we turned our two kids onto them via VHS and DVD as they were growing up.

I also loved the Hanna Barbera stuff as a kid including the Flintstones, Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Quick-draw McGraw, and Top Cat.

As my kids grew up, they introduced me to Saturday morning cartoons like Animaniacs, Freakazoid, and Pinky and the Brain; and I introduced them to the X-Men, Spider-Man and the WildCATs. We also watched a shitload of Nickelodeon shows (Rugrats, Hey Arnold), and Cartoon Network originals (Dexter’s Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls).

But the best ones are still Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck and Wile E. Coyote and Marvin the Martian and Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam and…

I remember Bugs as mean and dressed in drag a lot to fool Elmer Fudd. You would think that as smart as the Coyote was, he never caught the roadrunner. Porky Pig stuttered and was funny off of Bugs. Daffy always got blasted away.

The Flintstones were taken after the Honeymooners IIRC.

Woody Woodpecker, Chilly Willy… man, good memories…

M.A.S.K and Transformers are my main throwback mto kiddie cartoons.

But I as much of an 80’s child the 90’s had classics too.
The Animated X-men and their season long plots. Plus Cable was quailty in that show.

Bots master for some seriously stupid \awesome robot designs.

And the heart breaking Animals of Farthing woods. Never have I seen a kids show kill and then deal with fallout of the deaths as tha show. Those poor poor Hedgehogs.

And while not a series the Watership Down Movie. Just blew me away. I recently found my original copy of the book. And took that journey again.
Aoife was pleased I cried at something other than robots or War. Had to tell her different.

I loved that, and had no idea until now that it was by JMS!