millarworld.tv Comics Creators

New Comics Thread - 30th November

Yes it’s that time again, new comics, every week they keep coming.

This is the place to discuss them, keep plot spoilers hidden please:

To set spoiler text: use the tags [spoiler] [\spoiler] (reverse the slash) around your text.
To read spoiler text, click on it and the blurred lines will become clear.

Looks like JLA #10 and Saga #40 for me this week along with finally getting to pick up Empress #7 from my LCS.

[quote=“RonnieM, post:3, topic:9075, full:true”]
Looks like JLA #10 and Saga #40 for me this week[/quote]
Exactly the same for me. :slight_smile:

Incidentally, I don’t know if the board software has changed recently, but I’ve found that this does seem to work now - so you can use one set of tags for an entire set of spoiler paragraphs if necessary.

Let me test:

[spoiler] hello

crazy paragraph spacing and all that.

RhUbArB!
[/spoiler]

Yes you are right, I will edit my set text, cheers Dave. :smile:

(By the way you may notice that unlike the old board where upgrades were some massive undertaking that took the site down for 3 days the Discourse software we use frequently says the board has been updated and makes smaller incremental changes. So it’s quite normal things like that may happen and we have no clue).

I only stumbled across it myself when I was writing that long, rambling, spoiler-laden post about Arrival in the ‘watching’ thread the other day. It makes posts like that a lot easier. :slight_smile:

Yes it’s a good addition, it was an annoying restriction as some people meaning well had their spoilers revealed to everyone by accident. I went in and amended some posts to prevent that but on a couple of occasions it was spoilt for me. :frowning:

Heavy is the head that wears the crown. :wink:

So Dc Talent Showcase
…I’m going to come across as a bit of a dick here and there’s no real way around it but I just felt it was all very ho hum.
Nothing really stood out. Nothing was new or invigorating that hadn’t been tried before. I didn’t get a sense of the strengths of any of the writers and the artists weren’t stretched by any means.

Each story had around 7 pages to play with and it honestly felt like wasted space and in some cases the stories were padded out.

Look I am sure that all the writers here are quite capable but it feels like they weren’t allowed to play with the toys they were given. Is it just me? Are we all feeling a general malaise with superhero comics overall with the big two tending to have more of a homoginist view with their main characters.

At $7.99 for this just feels like a waste.

I dropped a lot of big 2. I’m an Image man these days.

Many are, our patron does most of his books there. :smile:

I almost forgot that I’m also picking up Superman Annual #1. I usually pass on annuals anymore but this creative team has been so strong that I’m going to give this one a go.

I thumbed through this at my LCS this evening. I was surprised to see Khary Randolf in the credits. I would have thought he was fairly established and not new talent.

I Guess for mi, it´s only gonna be “Black Widow” and a stream of profanities waiting for the new “Karnak” issue to finally arrive.

I think it’s asking a lot for people to pay $8 for a showcase book. It’s not really helping an impulse buy.

I agree. Nothing really stood out for me. Maybe the guy who wrote the Superman story could pull off a decent Superman story, but I wouldn’t know judging by this story, because it was only 7 pages long and there wasn’t any pay off at all, it just ended in a cliffhanger.

Last week:

Empress #7 - Wow! What a wrap up for this series. Something seemed a bit different about the art. Maybe something in the inking or colors. It was still amazing but I can’t quite put my finger on it. I knew there was going to be a twist at the end and knew what was going to happen from reading the script ages ago but Mark hadn’t worked out how it was going to happen. It was great. I also loved the cliffhanger for the next series and liked how they didn’t exactly intimate the details. @Mark_Millar and @stuartimmonen really know how to tell a story. I hope their collaborations continue on this book and others for a very long time.

This week:

JLA #10 - I’m glad that this story was finally brought to its conclusion but sad that @bryanhitch wasn’t more involved in this issue. I understand there are likely time constraints with his current series. That being said, the art and dialog while not Hitch weren’t jarringly different. I’m curious it that difference will be more obvious in a collection as this has the potential to be an evergreen trade and I’m considering picking up the hardcover on this one. This story really seems to dovetail into Rebirth. I would be sad that it’s over if I didn’t have Hitch’s excellent Justice League book to look forward to every couple of weeks. I’m still very impressed with what he is doing with the Justice League.

Saga #40 - What a cliffhanger. I know it’s not a sure bet which probably means it won’t happen but is Vaughan and Staples going to kill off every character. There is some decent build in this issue that I assume is going to pay off in subsequent installments. I’m glad that much of the focus is still on the central family. They’re the heart and soul of the book. I think it looses it’s way when they aren’t in the center of it.

Superman Annual #1 - Like I said, I’ve generally made it a habit in recent years to skip annuals but I’m glad I didn’t pass on this one. It’s a great Superman story that features Swamp Thing. It’s a done-in-one issue that hints at the larger shape of things to come for Superman and how he fits into this world. I’m really loving everything about this book. It’s so nice to be able to say that about a regular Superman comic.

Not this week’s but I just put it down so I’m posting here… Three stories in the Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 and I couldn’t manage my way through any of them. The overly cartoony art in the first story didn’t help the fact I thought the story flicked back and forth from jumbled to boring. After six pages of people talking I quit the second story. The art looked amautuerish on the third so I didn’t even bother starting. Bloody hell. $5 for a load of junk.

[quote=“RonnieM, post:18, topic:9075, full:true”]
JLA #10 - I’m glad that this story was finally brought to its conclusion but sad that @bryanhitch wasn’t more involved in this issue. I understand there are likely time constraints with his current series. That being said, the art and dialog while not Hitch weren’t jarringly different. I’m curious it that difference will be more obvious in a collection as this has the potential to be an evergreen trade and I’m considering picking up the hardcover on this one. This story really seems to dovetail into Rebirth. I would be sad that it’s over if I didn’t have Hitch’s excellent Justice League book to look forward to every couple of weeks. I’m still very impressed with what he is doing with the Justice League.[/quote]
I feel a bit less enthusiastic about this issue. The art was a decent enough match for Hitch’s style - to the extent that I could believe it was based on his layouts, even though he’s not credited as such - but it was still different enough to be distracting, particularly the level of detail (with some pages feeling more detailed than others). I was buying the series more on the strength of Hitch’s art than anything else (although I’ve been enjoying his writing too), so it’s a bit disappointing to not have him draw the final issue.

As for the story, I felt like everything was brought to a conclusion very quickly, and I’m not sure I fully understood how all of the subplots raised in the previous issues were resolved (although that might also be a result of the long gap between issues). The early issues of this story were quite careful in gradually building up its mysteries, but it feels like this was quite a sudden ending. I also was a bit underwhelmed by the tease for Rebirth at the end - it had a sense of “ok, we’re all done with this now, look at the new stuff we’re doing instead”.

I’ve mostly enjoyed this series, but I think I’m going to have to reread it all to see how it all hangs together.

Yes, it’s been nice to feel like the family vibe has been recaptured a little bit in this arc. I felt this was a bit of a slow issue, but one which will probably end up being an important part of the overall story in terms of moving pieces into place. The final scene was horribly tense for me - largely because I was expecting the sexual violence that was implied by the art, so I was relieved when that didn’t happen. It’s to Staples’ credit that so much tension could be created through body language and the staging of the characters.

I don’t disagree with any of this. I was just glad the story was given some conclusion instead of hanging out there unfinished and that it wasn’t as horrible as some of these kind of jobs have been in the past. I understand that schedules for new books have likely gotten in the way and this was likely the best solution.

I agree with that. I’m glad it did not go the direction it seemed like it would especially since it seems like they might have been leaving hints to that. It ended up much more touching though I hope the scene isn’t followed to it’s logical conclusion in the next issue.