millarworld.tv Comics Creators

New Comics Thread - 29th March

It’s that time again. Here are some of the new comics out today:

Share with this thread which ones you read and what you thought of them. Be careful not to spoil plots for people, hide them behind the spoiler text feature:

To set spoiler text: use the tags [spoiler] [\spoiler] (reverse the slash) around your text.
Or in your reply window select the text you want hidden, click the ‘cog’ icon next to the smiley one and select ‘blur spoiler’.
To read spoiler text, click on it and the blurred lines will become clear.

4 Likes

While I sang the praises of Unfollow in another thread, one thing I do hate about it is that if you’re behind in reading it, the covers of future issues give away spoilers.

3 Likes

It is a bit of an inherent weakness, even if you’re not behind they solicit the stuff months in advance anyway.

3 Likes

For the first time in a long while, I don’t have anything on my pull list for today. I’ll probably browse through ComiXology just to be sure though.

1 Like

Oh it’s a fifth Wednesday in the month isn’t it?

1 Like

I’m just going to be blunt and say I hate this cover.

7 Likes

Transformers: The Lost Light

I love this book. So bad.

2 Likes

I had to double-take at the shelf by the lack of Rebirth stuff this week…the HB/DC collisions…I dunno. Maybe Space Ghost/GL. Eager to dig in to Waid’s Avengers 5.1. That was wonderful throwback stuff. I’m skittish to read the last part of DKIII, but it’s waiting bedside. I’m more hyped for the latest Moonshine than that, sucks to say.

1 Like

The extended it to a 9th issue a while back. So you don’t have to be so skittish. :wink:

3 Likes

Did anyone pick up the new Iron Fist? It looks like an update of Enter the Dragon so I passed.

Higgs-Boson Direct Current???

Joking aside, I read the Booster/Flintstones one and while it was a bit… too booster-friendly (and thus not enough flinstones) it was fun… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I never thought I’d say this at the beginning of the series, but DAMMIT! I’m ready for this be done and the completist in me doesn’t want a barren spot with a miniseries, albeit I never did grab the last issue of the new Secret Wars because I was more let down by that the Secret Wars II in the '80s. Just no comparing to the real deal.

2 Likes

LOL, I’ll keep an open mind and check some of those out. I just couldn’t hack $5.00 a pop on those, not with another $6.00 tab for DKIII. Not trying to be a cheap ass, but seriously…

Since I’ve missed the past couple weeks on this thread, Mark…maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!! I’m aching for the last Reborn installment, but unlike DKIII, I don’t want it to end. Last week’s issue was wonderful. I love the intertwining of her mulling over her past life. That’s what sets this beyond a mere fantasy jaunt.

2 Likes

With Frank’s involvement (which seemed to increase as the book went), his health issues (which seem to be improving) and this being a Dark Knight book, I just assumed this would be a long haul book pretty early on if not from the beginning.

4 Likes

Yeah, I know, I feel like a jerk criticizing about it. DKIII has had some good moments and it IS Miller, but nonetheless…I feel as if this whole project has been anticlimactic and the loose cannon offshoot to BvS which is way too late to rescue that dud of a movie. I do hope Frank has a full recovery, of course.

3 Likes

I apologize. It wasn’t my intent to shame you. I was just telling you what my mindset was going into the book.

I’m buying the book in the Deluxe Editions. So it’ll be a couple weeks before I read it.

2 Likes

That’s nice of you to be concerned, but I didn’t take it as shaming. It’s a good reminder for all of us that the creators, especially legendary ones, may seem superhuman, but they’re quite human like the rest of us, fallacies and all. Obviously, this all comes down to subjectivity. Respect for Mr. Miller, always. Hopefully you’ll get a lot more in those deluxe editions.

2 Likes

Cinema Purgatorio #9 was good fun, although in a contrast to my usual preferences it was Kieron Gillen & Ignacio Calero’s Modded that stood out as my favourite this week. It’s very funny, with a cracking running gag this month about a character’s name, and lots of amusingly puerile swearing and rudeness.

Alan Moore & Kevin O’Neill’s title strip feels like it’s getting into a bit of a rut, but was still enjoyable. And Garth Ennis & Raulo Caceres’ Code Pru was pretty good (and provided an imaginative idea for how a certain horror staple might be dealt with in the real world), but lacked any great twist to really make it memorable.

Similarly, The Vast by Christos Gage & Gabriel Andrade is compelling and seems to be going somewhere interesting, but we get too little of it each month (it seems to have gone down to four pages for the last couple of issues)! That’s maybe because Andrade also seems to have taken over as the regular artist for Max Brooks’ A More Perfect Union, which does fairly well this issue with a compelling action sequence and a decent final-page development.

1 Like

I’m going out on a limb and saying I think it’s a fine cover.

It does a great job of selling this new cartoon version of the X-Men aimed at pre-schoolers. Though personally I would have given one of them a cuddly pet dog (probably Wolver-girl, she looks like she needs a cuddly dog).

That cover should be shot for crimes against cover-manity.

2 Likes