millarworld.tv Comics Creators

New Comics Thread - 29th April

So here are some of the latest books out today:

This is the place to review and discuss the latest issues, please hide any major plot points behind spoiler text as not everyone reads their comics at the same time.

The final Multiversity! Great.

I think there’s a new issue of Alex + Ada out this week too. Which I’m sort of buying out of habit at this point.

I dropped the series with #9. While I liked the fact that it was more of a drama than a sci-fi actioner, the pace was glacial.

Yeah, having read the first five issues briskly in trade, I’m really feeling that slowness on the individual issues.

The Convergence: Shazam thingymebob looks really good. I haven’t read it, but it does look pretty.

After reading an interview with Dan Slott and Mike Allred about this week’s Silver Surfer #11, I’ve gone ahead and ordered a physical copy. It looks like crazy experimental fun.

Interesting that they changed the Multiversity cover to include Atomic Knight Batman, Red Racer, and Machinehead.

Well spotted. I hadn’t noticed that.

Multiversity was hugely entertaining and pretty much the perfect ending.

Nothing for this week. Back issues await.

Really enjoyed the last issue of Spider-Man and the X-Men. Shame the series is over though.

The Parker/Shaner Convergence: Shazam was a lot of fun too, and Shaner’s art was great, as per usual.

I thought it was thrilling, exhilarating, uplifting, and at times utterly baffling. :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to read the whole series again.

Looks like I have something to look forward to with the Multiversity ending.
I’ve only read Superman #40 so far and it was great. Romita writes a fun issue. It might not all sound in-character but it’s so funny and well-told that I could care less. It’s great to see Dean White colouring him again. Now if only we could get Palmer on the inks, then we’d be cooking.

I’ve only read the preview on CBR so far for Multiversity, but I love the fact that Morrison dropped “John Constantine: The Hellblazer” into Superdemon’s team.
We last saw this character and his catchphrase “stroike a loight!” in Doom Patrol #53, the Kirby-inspired dream issue.

The way I read it, The Empty Hand is no different than Nix’s landlord, demanding justification, so to speak, for the existence of these characters, for taking up space. Combined with the very obvious hint that the Empty Hand is from our world (and is the fully corrupted Ultra Comics), that, in my mind, makes him/it the embodiment of the purely commercial concerns of superhero comics. He is the executive asking why these weird little comics that don’t bring in big bucks and don’t fit with the house style or the main goals of the line exist. I mean, he’s not literally that executive, but he’s a representation of that force or mode of thinking as much as any super-character is a representation of anything real. And since Multiversity, like Final Crisis, is pretty frank about these characters being just that, fictional characters, that leaves the Empty Hand being the realest thing in the book, sort of like the Monitors in FC–though I think the Empty Hand knows what he is, since Ultra Comics did.

The ending is very hopeful and triumphant, with the Monitor-Mind (identified by the font of the captions, same as when he spoke in the Guidebook) declaring that these characters will exist endlessly–but in the framework where the Empty Hand is us intersecting comics, that makes Monitor-Mind no less a character than Captain Carrot or the Gentry. So…. the ending’s hopeful in that yes, there will always be some form of creative, daring superhero stories (and stories in general), but–especially with the way it ends, with the Empty Hand building his Oblivion Machine and allowing the heroes to live (because they DO bring in money, for now)–that ending is also, like those final issues of Animal Man, a critique of the present state of the company putting the comic out. Daring, creative, weird stories are the exception, with sameness and familiarity being more or less the rule. I mean, Morrison’s “moving” to creator-owned, to keep with the rent analogy of the comic!

That Morrison’s, of course, taking money from DC and making them money in return does make this an awkward message (if my reading’s right, which, it might not be), though I can see the thrill of making these statements in a comic they publish, and why he thinks it’s important to be the loudest voice for weirdness and experimentation in superhero books. It’s the kind of thing I want to see from these comics that I grew up loving, so I can’t pretend to act like I don’t want him and others doing just that!

I got about halfway through that Multiversity issue and sort of wish I had never started buying the series, but it did wrap up nicely by the end.

I don’t mind the occasionally incoherent passages but the navel-gazing parable for modern comics is pretty groanworthy to me, and for my tastes a well that Morrison has returned to a bit too often.

Mileage may vary, of course.

Well, after slating the slow pace of Alex + Ada, this was a surprisingly exciting issue in which quite a bit happened. Also (and I didn’t know if this was widely known yet), the end of the issue gives us a “to be concluded” rather than “continued”, with the next issue’s cover marked as the conclusion of the story, and presumably the series.

Certainly it’ll be interesting to see how they follow up the ending of this issue, which was quite a big moment. But I think it’s the smaller moments of this book that I enjoy more - for instance, in this issue, the idea that the guy at the garage raised the alarm after being suspicious of the cash payment, which is never explicitly stated but is hinted at strongly enough for the reader to put it together.

While I’m definitely happy to see it come to an end, I think it’s been an enjoyable and in some respects unusual series.

No one picked up the last issues of Avengers and New Avengers?

Marvel aren’t pulling their punches. Of the characters who will seemingly dead and gone and we’ll likely get new iterations during Secret Wars: Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain Britain, Thor and Pym. The surviving characters seem to only be Reed, Doom and Strange, definitely

You’re being generous–it’s a well that he goes back to constantly! Either he’s talking about specific comic universes/superheroes, or fiction in general. At this point, I pick up his books for his style first and foremost. There was similar commentary to what’s in The Multiversity in Action Comics and Final Crisis, but Action Comics was clunky and rushed and Crisis fell apart at the end (and the Monitors were probably the weakest part of that story, anyway. Except Nix, I like him.). So I appreciated that stuff gelling well here.

I wish his work looked at more important stuff again, or at least wasn’t usually ultimately about “the power of fiction.” That’s probably why I latched on so much to the Empty Hand stuff–that thread feels a bit bigger than what he usually says in his comics. The Hand’s empty because it wants something, but it’s also not giving anything either–and that today and always is the most important criticism of the Big 2. They have a bad habit of not compensating the people that made/make them so successful. Which, again, makes Morrison’s position an awkward one (same as when he criticized the treatment of Siegel & Shuster in that Action Comics issue w/ Gene Ha) as he’s been more than happy to work with them.

Cap as in Steve and Thor as in, um, the male one?