millarworld.tv Comics Creators

New Comics Thread - 23rd November

I’ve been out all day travelling by air, rail, bus and car so this’ll be a quick intro and I can’t cut paste the pics at the mo’.

We have the conclusion to Empress and lots of other books out today ready for you to discuss. Talk about any of them but remember not to spoil major plot points and hide them behind the spoiler text function:

To set spoiler text: use the tags [spoiler] [\spoiler] (reverse the slash) around your text.
To read spoiler text, click on it and the blurred lines will become clear.
Don’t start a new paragraph between the tags or it doesn’t work.

2 Likes

Detective Comics just keeps giving.

I love it!

1 Like

To make up for the lack of pictures in the first post (excuses excuses @garjones!) here’s a couple of snaps of my haul this week:

1 Like

I agree. I literally came home a half hour early from work today just so I could read Detective Comics #945 in peace, before the kids got back from their gym classes. It was a great, character focused issue. I was concerned about the guest artists, but their work fit the established tone well enough not to be too jarring. My heart did skip a beat there on the last page (even though it’s obviously not what it looks like). Annoyed that it’s a 3 week wait until the next issue.

2 Likes

Almost bought Detective 945 - for the return of word balloons to the cover!

1 Like

Happy Thanksgiving from Liam Sharp and Wonder Woman 11!

My lot ended up WW #11, Empress and Judge Dredd 12. The finales to three stories!

2 Likes

The Goddamned #5

A good read. I enjoyed this series on a whole. The ending was superb. I did not expect that. At all.

1 Like

Last week was a bit hectic with travel and spending time with family for Thanksgiving. So I didn’t get around to reading any comics until last night and still haven’t made it by my LCS to pick up Empress #7. So here’s what I have.

AD: After Death Book One - This is a really interesting book. It’s a combination of an illustrated prose novel and a comic. This issue was a lot of setup. So it asked a lot of questions that will presumably be answered in subsequent volumes. It seems to be a bit of a meditation on life and its briefness through the examination of life of one man at several points along with the vast changes that have happened to our world. I think Snyder and Lemire are creating something really interesting here both with the story and the format. The closest thing I can compare it to is Lemire’s Underwater Welder. This issue was an impulse buy but I will be reading the rest of the story.

Action Comics #968 - I think this title is much stronger when it is focusing on action rather than exposition. This issue is another in the former column though it does deepen some of the mysteries about the new Clark Kent and the other villains. I think my favorite character in this book might actually be Lex Luthor. The idea of him walking this fine line between hero and villain is very cool. It’s almost in the vein of some of the things Claremont was trying to do with Magneto in the late 80’s. So I’m definitely still on this book.

1 Like