millarworld.tv Comics Creators

New Comics Thread - 1st March, David St. Hubbin's Day

New comics again. This is the tread to chat about them but don’t spoil any stories.

To set spoiler text: use the tags [spoiler] [\spoiler] (reverse the slash) around your text.
Or in your reply window select the text you want hidden, click the ‘cog’ icon next to the smiley one and select ‘blur spoiler’.
To read spoiler text, click on it and the blurred lines will become clear.

1 Like

Looks like Justice League #16 and Superman #18 for me.

2 Likes

My review of Dynamite’s James Bond:

I really really hate the logo.

1 Like

I was just thinking about what a week this is, maybe the best week for geek culture in years.

We’ve got two high profile video games (Zelda and Zero Horizon Dawn), a whole new Nintendo system, the Dr. Strange Blu Ray, a Wolverine movie in theaters, and for me a nice stack of DC comics. More that I’m forgetting or that others may prefer, too. It’s an embarrassment of riches.

9 Likes

I read America…that was a mistake.
Overall it’s incredibly generic (which isn’t a negative in itself) but then it bleeds through awful, awful, moments.

Captain Atom was great.

This is a great post, a good reminder and I feel the need to quote it, if only to reiterate.

I think it’s easy to forget how lucky we are sometime to have all this stuff, not to mention how easily accessible it all is.

Not just that but I love to see a positive post like this, there’s so much cyncism (and downright negativity) at times.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, just booked me two tickets for Logan on friday! I hope I can find a date. :wink:

1 Like

Royal City is out this week for fans of Essex County, Sweet Tooth, Trillium etc

It’s written and drawn by Lemire and he was quite excited when talking about it on 11 o’clock comics a couple months back.

2 Likes

Yeah?

Well, my review of YOUR FACE

It’s quite nice - 9/10

1 Like

Superman.

Really.

Really.

Really.

Good.

3 Likes

That’s good to know. This impending storyline has had me a little nervous. Will read it tonight.

2 Likes

You’re going to feel it. :wink:

2 Likes

Slow Birthday. Slow comic day.

I´ll say. Bond. Batman and Hawkeye for me… with a side of Bulseye just because.

1 Like

It’s your birthday!?

Grattis på födelsedagen! Congratulations on your birthday! :smiley:

Batman was really good. I really liked the parallels drawn between Bane and Batman, they were done with both substance and style, but it seems to contradicts some of the existensial issues Batman lays down in the I Am Suicide-arc, specifically the being a suicide-bit.

But I mean. It’s Batman. He’s a psychotic madman in psychotic-madman-suit. It’s wonderful. So far I think better of Kings run on Batman than I do of Snyders. But that may change over time.

Oh, the art was unusually crisp this issue. I likey

3 Likes

Batman was really excellent this week, one of the best Bane issues I’ve ever read and nicely reinforces why he’s a good villain for Batman (I’ve never been a fan of the character).

I picked up the first two JRJr issues of Suicide Squad, mostly because of JRJr. DC is doing a lot of things right with their superhero books but I’m not sure of the approach with this one, which I have tried here and there. Essentially they get an A-lister (Jim Lee, JRJr) on the book for an arc, but he only does half the issue…the other half is a backup, which is partly a backup and partly an extension of the story. The results feel busy and crammed, with no room to breathe…and what’s the use of getting a Jim Lee or John Romita Jr. if you aren’t going to give them space to do their thing?

I do like Romita’s Deadshot

But he may be confusing him for Dead Space?

7 Likes

Justice League #16 - I doubt there’s much connection but the story reminded me a bit of one of my favorite Super Friends episodes where the Legion of Doom gets rid of the Super Friends by preventing their origins from happening and our heroes have to go back in time to stop them. I love that this storyline is pulling things together for @bryanhitch’s Justice League work all the way back to his Pre-Rebirth Justice League of America. It really makes everything read like a huge opus. I’m excited to see what it is all building toward.

Superman #18 - This story is really starting to tease/reveal more about Mr. Oz and the other Clark Kent. I’m hoping that Jonathan’s disappearance is not permanent.. I doubt it as he now has his own book along side Damon in Super Sons and hopefully they wouldn’t mess with that. Curiously, they give a list of possible culprits for what is happening with one of my earlier guess in the running. I’m once again cautiously optimistic that this will be good.

Image+ #11 - I picked this up on impulse at my LCS as it had an interview with Rob Liefeld and a preview of the new Youngblood book which I am quite excited about. I haven’t made it far in the magazine but have enjoyed it so far. I’m intrigued by the concept Brandon Graham and the editor borrowed from Brian Eno called “scenius”. I think it has a lot of merit.

3 Likes

Picked up three new books this week:

The Old Guard (Image) by Greg Rucka and Leandro Fernandez
We are introduced to four immortal warriors who do freelance mercenary work, who reluctantly take on a new assignment that turns out to be a trap; meanwhile an American Marine in Afghanistan is slain by a terrorist…or is she? Interesting core concept, but not as enthralling as other recent Rucka work like Lazarus and Black Magick. Still, I’ll give it a few more issues to impress me.

Savage Things (DC/Vertigo) by Justin Jordan and Ibrahim Moustafa
25 years ago a government agency took charge of 40 kids who exhibit classic sociopathic behavior, with the intention of training them and turning them loose against the enemies of the USA. But something went horribly wrong… I’m really glad I picked this one up, despite not knowing anything about the creators. The first issue gives just enough information to get me interested, but maintains enough mystery to keep me wanting to come back for more. And it;s a finite (8 issue) series, so I’m willing to commit that much time and money to see how it turns out.

Smoke Town (Scout Comics) by Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Scott Van Domelen
Another book whose creators I am completely unfamiliar with, but the blurb on the Midtown Comics site said this one feels similar to Stray Bullets, so I gave it a shot. Kinda feels like I walked into the middle of the story, but that is obviously intentional, and I assume subsequent issues will flesh things out more. For now, the debut issue does its job well.

3 Likes

Do you read Stumptown at all?

2 Likes

I love Stumptown; I hope Rucka gives us more stories about Dex soon!! (I won’t even mention how much I miss Queen & Country). He is one of the most reliable writers in the business, which is why I’m giving The Old Guard a chance.

2 Likes

That’s the one I would really like to see though I understand he left the characters at a good stopping point.