millarworld.tv Comics Creators

New Comics Thread - 17th May 2017

This is the place to discuss those and any other new comics out this week. Please use the spoiler function to blur text instead of revealing major plot points to those who may not have read them yet.

To set spoiler text: use the tags [spoiler] [\spoiler] (reverse the slash) around your text.
Or in your reply window select the text you want hidden, click the ‘cog’ icon next to the smiley one and select ‘blur spoiler’.
To read spoiler text, click on it and the blurred lines will become clear.

4 Likes

Wild Storm #3 - I’ve been looking forward to that.

Interested to hear what readers of ‘The Button’ made of the final part of that, too.

3 Likes

Even without the brief leaked shots, I’ve kind of guessed all along what it’ll bring. Teeny teases to whatever Geoff Johns actually has planned for the Watchmen link.

3 Likes

I’m hoping for #4 :wink:

5 Likes

They kind of put the cart before the horse by announcing the big Geoff Johns event (and what it entails) before the final issue of The Button came out, didn’t they.

1 Like

Yes, #4, sorry. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Even without that the story itself has really gone that way. It’s been more about Flashpoint and time fluctuations and Reverse Flash as the Button hints, with that to resolve in 20 pages I fully expect nothing more than a little extra teaser for the Watchmen connection behind it all. Otherwise there’d have to be some massive info dump and I think the writers are too good for that.

3 Likes

Last night I re-read the first three issues of the Button, and as much as we rag on events this one has been so, so good. I may even start reading the Flash now, which is what, from a marketing standpoint, an event should do.

That last issue of Batman…Will hit it on the head two weeks back. The emotional beats are so powerful, and the storytelling epic, packing a wallop in 22 pages.

I’m looking forward to the finale today.

7 Likes

Yes and I would add that despite it being a massive tease of the Watchmen link I am perfectly happy with that. The issues have been very good and I think it’s really benefited from being just between 2 books and writers working closely together. It retains a quality control you don’t get with spreading this across a line and dozens of creators.

The first Batman issue had a great storytelling device with the countdown, the first Flash was more filling in back story but that was needed and then episode 3 had that emotional pull.

7 Likes

I’m thinking of checking out The Button in trade - is it fairly accessible or is it more continuity-reliant?

4 Likes

Looks like Justice League #21, Super Sons #4, Superman #23, Trinity #9 and Wild Storm #4 for me today.

2 Likes

It’s a bit of both. :smile:

It goes into DC continuity quite a bit but that Flash issue goes a long way to explaining it. I never read Flashpoint and it recaps it all well enough for me.

4 Likes

Due September.

1 Like

The only DC I’ve been reading in the last few years is Grayson and Nightwing, but I’ve really enjoyed The Button thus far. It’s an excellent crossover model.

2 Likes

There’s a big omnibus of that due October and it’ll be hardback.

1 Like

Wild Storm. I must be parsimonious for a bit.

Flash #22 - concludes “The Button”. I was so hyped for this issue, I downloaded it from Comixology before going to work and read it in the office carpark. To say I was crushed was an understatement; but, that’s my own damn fault for reading scurrilous internet rumours. The actual content of the issue itself was fine. I greatly enjoyed Jay’s appearance although his immediate disappearance was disappointing. The epilogue, by Johns and Franks, leading into Doomsday Clock, was a nice touch. However, I hated the hesitation demonstrated by Bruce to respond to the Bat Signal following his father’s words in Batman #22. Batman should always be “the man with the plan”, and willing to leap head first into the fray. That’s his whole raison d’etre. A self-conflicted, doubtful Batman is boring to read, frankly, and it reeks of forced melodrama.

In conclusion, this crossover had some great art, a few fist pumping fan pleasing moments, and a LOT of treading water. Whilst, I am (still) looking forward to what comes next, ultimately, I was pretty disappointed with “The Button” overall.

2 Likes

INVINCIBLE #136

…and a few others. Will update later on.

1 Like

cosmic treading

2 Likes

Agreed. I’ve loved it, pretty delighted about how it’s scratched my fanboy itch and I’ve actually found it exciting which I can’t say for too many decompressed event type stories over the past few years.

The Button is definitely entering classic DC territory in my head.

4 Likes