millarworld.tv Comics Creators

New Comics Thread - 17th June

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11267487_1421878641470803_8800247448542515362_n.jpg?oh=35d52ac5c52b6297fb2648668f295b15&oe=55F80C1A&gda=1442303975_9c9f4c9c484907a1d528fe9f50efa181

Here are some of them:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11169206_1422692901389377_4938336197966416560_n.jpg?oh=af9c7ae6f940d8f9106cb6b0b409903f&oe=55EA9D2C&gda=1446172949_9d0e508a830fd3ae6f41bd19e1bff7e2

This is the place to discuss the comics you read this week and what you thought of them. Please refrain from revealing any major plot points in reviews unless you hide them behind spoiler text as not everyone reads their comics at the same time.

Hitch’s JLA #1 for sure.

Also, the final issue of Alex + Ada (#15), and Trees #10.

That’s the wrong version of the costume for that version of the Batmobile.

And you call yourself a comic forum moderator? Geez, standards are slipping around here :stuck_out_tongue:

Woohoo, new Astro City :slight_smile:

I dunno, I quite like the idea of DKR Batman running around in '60s Batman’s ride.

Especially if it means Adam West gets to drive this:

It looks like a null week for me. Though I will probably eventually pick up Justice League of America #1.

So I caved and bought Justice League of America #1 at my LCS today. Hitch is one of those artists that can still do a good double page spread, the one shortfall of digital comics. After this issue, I’ll decide if I’ll do monthly or tradewait.

What did you think of it Ronnie? I bought the first issue but I’m not sure I’ll continue in singles.

Justice League of America #1 - Hitch is definitely bringing his A-game here. The art is top notch and I feel like the story being told is something I haven’t read before. The introduction of Rao at the end was very interesting. The extra pages definitely gave this opening issue the room it needed to breath and set things up properly. This may be one of the best JLA stories I’ve read in a decade.

As to singles or tradewaiting… I’m still on the fence. I’m a bit gunshy after Real Heroes. It’s amazing stuff but I would hate to get invested only to have it not finish. It’s also nice to have big definitive work like this in a hardcover.

DC put out some cool #1 issues this week. I thumbed through a few, and I bought:

Martian Manhunter #1: I’ve long desired a Martian Manhunter series that explores the weird side of the character a bit more, this really strange alien among us, with tragedy and horror overtones. Well, it’s like DC read my mind. This is the book I’ve always wanted, and it’s like Stan Lee’s Silver Surfer mixed with classic Vertigo. In short, it rules. I highly recommend it and can’t wait to see where it goes.

Secret Six #3 It’s great to see Simone and Eaglesham back together. The book takes a wild left turn from the first two issues, beginning with the whole team having an orgy together…on the cover…but it’s got the humor and team-of-losers tone of classic Simone Secret Six.

Dr. Fate #1 I’ve always liked the character and this more cartoony take on him was definitely worth a look. It’s wasn’t bad, but I don’t think I will keep buying. Definitely worth kicking the tires on this one if you like the character, though.

Glad of the good review of Martian Manhunter, I’ve really liked a lot of Rob Williams’s work and it was the book, along with Garth Ennis’ Section 8 I was most interested in.

Aha, the same Rob Williams who wrote The Royals, eh?

Yes, he also composed the theme song.

Randy Marsh is a talented guy.

I read JL Triangle today and enjoyed it quite a bit.
It felt like classic JL but fresh at the same time, which is great.
I’m sticking with the singles though the crappy Twix advert is a big reason not to.
Like Ronnie said, I would probably buy this digitally if Hitch wasn’t so focussed on two-page spreads.

I just thought Nick Lachey was part of the new JLA.

If that’s true I’m dropping the book.

Ah, so there was a Twix ad? Where was it? I read it digitally and the two half-pages must have been composited into one.

How did it read digitally? Hitch is one of the few guys that still makes a double page spread worth while. So I tend to prefer him in print.

The art still looked fine to me in digital - Hitch seems to be opting for a slightly bolder, marginally less-detailed style lately, so I didn’t find myself squinting to make out any of the details in the spreads or anything. Plus, I think the crispness of digital really suits his white-gutters/no panel borders style that he’s been employing since FF.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the writing - I don’t think that some of the scenes had the ‘wow’ factor that they could have, and some of the teasing/foreshadowing was a bit clunky - but that will come with time. It reminds me of Todd McFarlane talking about his first issues of adjectiveless Spider-Man, where he acknowledged that you had quite a contrast between the highly polished art style and the still-a-little-rough-around-the-edges writing.

But I enjoyed Real Heroes and I look forward to seeing Hitch develop as a writer.