millarworld.tv Comics Creators

New Comics Thread - 14th September

It’s that time of the week again, comic shops are getting in the latest releases like these:

http://cbr.imgix.net/2016/09/WW-Cv6-ds.jpg?auto=format&lossless=1&q=40&w=180&h=276&fit=crop
http://cbr.imgix.net/2016/09/ASTRO-Cv38.jpg?auto=format&lossless=1&q=40&w=180&h=276&fit=crop
http://cbr.imgix.net/2016/09/DOOM-PATROL-1-1.jpg?auto=format&lossless=1&q=40&w=180&h=276&fit=crop
http://cbr.imgix.net/2016/09/BLAP2016006-DC11.jpg?auto=format&lossless=1&q=40&w=180&h=276&fit=crop
http://cbr.imgix.net/2016/09/FAITH-003-COVER-A-WADA.jpg?auto=format&lossless=1&q=40&w=180&h=276&fit=crop

Go read your stack and then come back here and tell us what you thought. Discuss away but don’t give away plot points for those that may not have read a book yet. Hide them using the spoiler function.

To set spoiler text: use the tags [spoiler] [\spoiler] (reverse the slash) around your text.
To read spoiler text, click on it and the blurred lines will become clear.
Don’t start a new paragraph between the tags or it doesn’t work.

5 Likes

Just All-Star Batman #2 for me this week I think, but I’d be particularly interested to hear any thoughts on the new Doom Patrol (I know @ChrisS said he was looking forward to that one).

3 Likes

All-Star Batman !!
Wonder Woman !!!
DOOOOOM PATROOOOOOL !!!

3 Likes

Doom Patrol! Woop woop.
Comixology fulfilled my pre-order on that at like 5AM, which I thought was strangely early. I still haven’t gotten around to reading it yet though, give me a few hours.

3 Likes

There’s usually a small first wave of stuff that tends to come through on Comixology at around midnight Eastern Time in the US, or thereabouts (so around 5am sounds about right). It often tends to be the high-profile books of the week that get included (my All-Star Batman #2 notification came through early this morning too).

Then there’s usually a larger second wave that gets put up at around 2pm UK time (so I guess around 9am on the east coast in the US?).

I think it has something to do with co-ordinating digital releases with the physical comics becoming available in shops. Comixology used to put stuff up slightly earlier (around midnight UK time) but that obviously allowed US readers to get them on Tuesday evening, which probably didn’t make LCS owners too happy given that they weren’t allowed to sell the books until Wednesday.

3 Likes

It looks like a big week for me. I will be picking up Action Comics #963, All-Star Batman #2, Wonder Woman #6 and likely Doom Patrol #1 on ComiXology today. I might stop by my LCS just to browse and see if anything else catches me too.

I’ll be honest this might be my last issue for this run of Wonder Woman. I’m not looking forward to it like I expected or like the other Rebirth books I’m enjoying and my wife isn’t very interested either. It’s far from objectively bad but it may just not be our cup of tea. That and I’m a bit spoiled for choice right now.

2 Likes

Yes when they launched day and date I used to pick up new comics here around midday (which is midnight US east coast). About a year in after a retailer conference they pushed it back so now they mostly appear about 9 hours later.

I think it makes sense really they don’t want to give an inherent advantage over the bricks and mortar but they do give the odd bit with the sales and subscriber stuff.

2 Likes

I didn’t buy it because $4.99 but flipping through All Star Batman and I’m loving JRJr’s take on all of Batman’s villains.

1 Like

Doom Patrol was a little bit fractured by really great – distinctive and absurd and didn’t take itself too seriously. It left me confused but wanting more, which is the right kind of confused.

Wondering if “Sam” is the biblical “Samson” from All Star Superman.

1 Like

Detective Comics #940

3 Likes

Big week - too much DC on my pull list.
I’ll try get some comments up, at least on Doom Patrol.

digital
Action 963
All Star Batman 2
Batgirl Birds of Prey (last chance, I want to read a Huntress book!)
Black Panther 6
Deathstroke 2
Detective 940
Doom Patrol 1
Green Lanterns 6 (last chance)
Hal Jordan & GL Corps 4 (last chance)
Jeff Steinberg 2
New Superman 3
Old Man Logan 11
Prometheus Life & Death 4
Red Hood & the Outlaws 2
Suicide Squad 2
Superwoman 2 (last chance)
The Flash 6
Wonder Woman 6

print
Cinema Purgatorio 5

trade
Birthright 19
Black science 24
Nightbreed Archive vol 1
Southern Cross 7
Spread 16
Symmetry 7
The Black Monday Murders 2
The Fix vol 1

1 Like

I have 4 books this week that are all DC. It’s been a long time since that happened. I’m kind of liking it.

3 Likes

Can someone post a spoiler for me. What’s underneath the burrito sticker on the cover of Doom Patrol?

1 Like

Oddly enough, I’ve been reading a lot of old New 52 stuff. I don’t remember what set me on that tangent, but it happened somehow.

Comics planning to get & read soon…
All New X-men 13
Batgirl Birds of Prey 2
Deathstroke 2
Green Lanterns 6
Hal Jordan & GL Corps 4
New Superman 3
Red Hood & the Outlaws 2
Spider-Man 8
Suicide Squad 2
Superwoman 2
The Flash 6
Wonder Woman 6
Hmmm… sadly not any indie books this week. That’s not right.

Also things I have set aside to read all in one chunk
Black Panther
DC Injustice
Nighthawk

Eventually I need to hit up Amazon for TPBs so I can give this growing stack of unruly single issues away.

2 Likes

Detective 940 - My first read this week. Oh. My. God. Just. What. No. Tim is dead!!! NOOOO… Wait. Not dead? WHAT? What-what-what? He’s alive, but… Who is that, holding him in a glass cell? Whats going on? I’m hooked. I was already hooked, but now… I don’t really know what I feel.

@Vikram, thanks for directing me toward this title in the first place. You summed up this weeks issue perfectly. “…” indeed.

3 Likes

Green Lanterns 5 & 6

I’m loathe to start with a negative but this is decompressed, repetitive garbage. It’s been a continual loop of the same crap since issue one and synonymous with the rubbish that has plagued the Lantern line since Johns quit.

If you’ve ever read a GL book with the Red Lanterns in it before then you’ve read this. Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz have gained nothing as characters since Johns created them - and there’s potential there, it’s just never been met by this phoned in guff.

I have stuck this out because I really enjoyed the few issues of Sam Humphreys Star Lord that I read; it was a witty, fun adventure. I can hardly believe this is the same writer. I thought he was an excellent choice for this book. But 6 issues of this is enough. I can’t put myself through any more of this.

I don’t like to slate creators so strongly, but this is warranted. Who at DC thought this was the book to relaunch the GL line back to glory?

2 Likes

No Marvel or DC for me - just the 2000AD Prog and a copy of the World of Tanks book I missed a couple weeks ago and my LCS were able to back order for me.

1 Like

I forgot the new Cinema Purgatorio was out. Can’t wait for that.

1 Like

This is the downside of me wanting this in print - I’ve got another 3 weeks till mine arrives!

1 Like