millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Netflix Announce Five Millarworld Adaptations!

SERIES

Jupiter’s Legacy — A multi-generational American superhero epic, Jupiter’s Legacy follows the world’s first generation of superheroes who received their powers in the 1930’s. In present day they are the revered elder guard, but their superpowered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents. Steven S. DeKnight (Marvel’s Daredevil, Spartacus, Buffy the Vampire Slayer), who recently signed an overall deal with Netflix, will serve as showrunner and executive producer, with Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Dan McDermott also serving as executive producers for the series. DeKnight will also direct the first episode.

American Jesus — Multilingual (Spanish/English) series American Jesus follows a twelve-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he’s returned as Jesus Christ. He can turn water into wine, make the crippled walk, and, perhaps, even raise the dead! How will he deal with the destiny to lead the world in a conflict thousands of years in the making? Everardo Gout (Marvel’s Luke Cage, Sacred Lies, Mars, Banshee, Aqui En La Tierra) and Leopoldo Gout (Molly’s Game, Instinct) will serve as co-showrunners and executive producers on the series. Everardo Gout will also direct.

FILMS

Empress — Queen Emporia is married to (literally) the worst dictator in the galaxy, King Morax. After escaping his palace with her children, Emporia and her family, must hide from Morax and his army at all costs — even if it takes teleporting from planet to planet to avoid them. Writer Lindsey Beer (Kingkiller Chronicle and the upcoming Sierra Burgess is a Loser for Netflix and Wizards of Once for DreamWorks Animation) is adapting the comic book into a feature film, with Joe Roth and Jeff Kirschenbaum (The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle, Maleficent) set to produce.

Huck — In a quiet seaside town, Huck uses his special gifts to do a good deed each day. His neighbors return the favors by keeping his abilities a secret. But when a newcomer alerts the media, a firestorm erupts, sending Huck on an adventure that will change everything. Ted Melfi (Hidden Figures, St. Vincent) is adapting the comic book into a feature film, with Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe set to produce.

Sharkey The Bounty Hunter — Set in a brilliant new sci-fi universe, Sharkey is a blue-collar bounty-hunter tracking criminals across the galaxy in his converted, rocket-powered ice-cream truck. Aided and abetted by his ten-year-old partner, he’s out for the biggest bounty of his career. Sharkey the Bounty Hunter will be adapted and published as a Millarworld/Netflix comic next year and writer Michael Bacall (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, 21 Jump Street) is writing the screenplay for the feature film.

Television News & Miscellany

Can someone explain this to me?
All I hope is that if the Anti-Christ is Spanish that the Real Christ isn’t white then.
Cobra Kai already lost points with me there.

It’ll be set in Mexico rather than the US.

Oh!

Well, then my spoiler hopes still stand.

My dear Punk, the “real Christ” (his name is ‘Jesus’ - don’t know what happened with the ‘Immanuel’ thing) was certainly not a white man. He was a Jew who lived in the desert without A/C, walked around in sandals, and was most likely a dark brown!

Nah, I’m thinking back to the cover for the second volume that Millar released a few years back. Showed a look at that particular individual.

If this is gonna be Mexico-based, then I hope they do something different with his regional home.

I am beyond excited about all of these. DeKnight on Jupiters is a dream come true as I’ve loved him since Spartacus. Empress on the big screen will be surreal as I remember the conversations when that series was first being worked on. The ideas I’ve heard for American Jesus are super cool. Huck is going to become the superhero we didn’t know we needed.

And just wait to you see how crazy Sharky is. I only know the barest fragment and it sounds brilliantly bonkers.

Immediately blabbed this, on FB at least. I expect a bunch of people will want to be storyboard artists and such. So I flagged a producer and a make-up artist!

Sharkey sounds like it’s going to be a real great time and definitely up Netflix’s alley of insane premises for their original content.

Well we’ve all been waiting for this since the buy-out story broke. Can’t wait to see them.

I think American Jesus could work very well on TV, slightly nervous about the effects needed for Jupiter’s Legacy but we shall see, Netflix have a lot of money.

So excited for all of these. Huck may be at the top of my list but I’m sure once stuff starts pouring in it’ll be overwhelming.

This is truly crazy announcing so many projects at the same time. Millarworld in Netflix’s portfolio is starting to look like Marvel in Disney’s.

I should point out that this is more than what Netflix did with Marvel. And that I don’t think any single creator has ever had this level of media in development at the same moment. This puts Millarworld not far from the same level as Marvel and DC, and I know there’s still more to be announced. I’m incredibly proud of the Chief and delighted for him. The success is well earned.

Marvel-Netflix really did miss a tack by trying to apply their movie formula to the shows. All of them culminating into one thing. It felt like a bunch of lines, all waiting. I remember stories about how they didn’t know which order to put them out as well/

Millarworld properties are great at being distinct and distant enough to work without getting in the way of each other or whatever Netflix wants in the pipeline.

Very cool. Been waiting to hear what Netflix would do with Millarworld properties. Mark must be beyond excited.

I’m happy for Mark, happy for his family, happy for Netflix (they shall maketh the bucks) and most of all happy for the fans. I note these projects are the one with much more positivity. I should think Superior would work a bit later on down the line (post-Shazam). The other for a series (limited or maxi-series, I should think) would be Chrononauts, but that one is purely dependent on having the right pair of leads. Exciting times!

I still think the main problem is they they stretch them out further than the plot usually demands. They end up slow and ponderous even though the acting, production etc is usually great. It’s not really that revolved around a larger picture, you can watch most of them entirely on their own merits (as I know you can with the MCU films).

Mark has said that himself though in his summaries and hopefully has enough say his shows don’t face the same problem. It isn’t a constant problem for Netflix, Stranger Things and Lost in Space have been big hits without having the same problem. Of course three of these are one-off films so it definitely won’t be an issue there.

Empress as a movie is interesting. Will it cover past the first series, or are they planning for sequels?

I, for one, am eager to see how they handle Walter’s mental universe. I hope they tweak it some to show how something is wrong.

I think they’ll stick close to the source materials, more so than the other MW adaptations. So the first movie will be the first comic series, with sequels in the works. Empress really works perfectly as a breakneck 2 hour chase movie.

I agree completely. it even has that not-quite-a-twist ending that can work really well. My only vague concern is Lorenzo di Bonaventura - not that he is not good at his job what with the Transformers stuff, but as a series he must use caution not to be bombastic or allow confused visuals. Be mellow and take your time to let folks tell the story, Lorenzo! (But do cut loose with the f/x on the fight scenes!) Hoping for a bit of that “used future” feel of *Blade Runner"; y’know, modern stuff gone somewhat seedy and ill-maintained.

So, it’ll be out this weekend, right?