millarworld.tv Comics Creators

My New (old) Fiction Project

No worries, David; you can correct it in the TPB reprints.

Great work!

Thank you :slight_smile:

Strikeforce have gone … Back to the Future! Yes, that’s what I used as the title of chapter 22. So sue me.

In other news, I’ve been playing with various ways of making the day-by-day history pages look cleaner, and I think I’ve found a layout that I like. I’ve started somewhere out-of-the-way – the beginning of the 23rd century – so if I decide I hate it I won’t have too much stuff to undo. You can take a look at the timelines for 2301, 2302, 2320, and 2322 and see what you think.

Another Heroes issue this week: #23 Moving On. It’s a “quiet” issue, with the team still resting at Luey’s place, but trouble is not far away. See if you can guess who next issue’s villain is…

The new History page format seemed to work pretty well, so I’ve added a couple more pages in the format. But instead of my usual scattershot approach of documenting events of historical significance, I’ve decided I should be more methodical start at the beginning. So there are pages for 13.7 billion years ago and 13.5 billion years ago. Yes, I really meant the beginning!

And a final small addition, the Encyclopaedia gets an entry for the Antarctic Volcano, which you may remember Strikeforce accidentally causing a few weeks ago.

No update next week, it’s a designated skip week (because your writer will be at a concert) so come back on the 30th for the next update. Though I may do some interim blog posts, as usual.

Yes, a ridiculously long hiatus, but here we are again.

This week there aren’t any story chapters. I’m getting back into the swing of things slowly, so I’m starting with something simple like… documenting 11 billion years of history.

You will find 11 new (or revised) pages covering events from, deep breath, 13.7 Billion Years Ago, 13.5 Billion Years Ago, 5 Billion Years Ago, 4.6 Billion Years Ago, 4.5 Billion Years Ago, 4.1 Billion Years Ago,
2.6 Billion Years Ago, 2.5 Billion Years Ago, 2.45 Billion Years Ago,
2.44 Billion Years Ago, and 2.3 Billion Years Ago.

The easiest thing is to start at the first one (13.7 billion years ago, obviously) and just keep clicking through to the next event.

Most of it won’t make sense to you in the context of the current story (you’ll probably recognise one reference point) but it’s all going to become clear if you keep reading Strikeforce for long enough. You’ve probably figured out by now that you need to treat the entire web site more like a jigsaw puzzle than an single linear narrative. (Because, honestly, linear narratives are a waste of the on-line medium.)

Next week’s update might include the next Strikeforce chapter, but I’m not promising. It could just be a few more random history pages.

I salute your ambitious project, and making it available to read.

The long delayed new chapter of Strikeforce is here. The team is stuck in a future they don’t recognise as their own, in a chapter appropriately titled Somewhen Else.

And a couple of minor new pages to make it the update look a bit more substantial: Wild Boy in the Who’s Who, and Vancouver in the Gazetteer.

New update!

This week we have a new issue of Heroes, issue #24Sparks”. Our heroes go up against the Electric Raider, and we take the opportunity to have another look at James’s past. And if you don’t get the surprise twist(s) at the end, you need to go back and re-read the last few issues. It’s all quite clear, really.

Not a lot more this week. A gazetteer entry for Chicago and an encyclopaedia entry explaining the Atlantean calendar. Why am I explaining the Atlantean calendar? What’s that got to do with anything? I dunno, I just thought it was interesting.

Next update will hopefully happen next week ,but it’s a not a firm commitment as I may have other things going on.

No Strikeforce chapter this week, sorry. As a consolation, there are two new encyclopaedia entries:

It’s probably safe to say that Cygnus X-1 is the whole reason for Strikeforce existing, so it seemed time to write something about it.

And at the other end of the scale, a short piece on Hailey Hotels, which aren’t important at all but it’s Sara’s favourite hotel chain so it seemed worthy of an article.

Next update will be 13 July. And there will be a Strikeforce chapter for definite. Maybe.

treating it like an comic book, I picked up the story with Breakthrough and read the last three chapters. They were good. I liked the interrogations, loved the altered future, and look forward to see the battle against the old teammate.

Cool, thanks for that :blush:

I’ve never consciously written it as if “every issue is somebody’s first”, so it’s good to know it worked for you that way.

A funny thing happened while reading Strikeforce chapter 24. First I decided to re-write the last third of it. Then I decided the action in the first third didn’t flow very well, so I re-wrote that a bit. Then I realised it didn’t have a middle third at all, so I had to write a whole new scene.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, this is why you’re not getting a new Strikeforce chapter again.

Instead I’ve added an encyclopaedia page for the Fraternity (remember them from Heroes #15?) and a gazetteer page for the Fraternity’s mansion (ditto).

Proper update coming soon…ish.

It’s here at last! After too many delays, the hotly-anticipated (well, one person asked about it) next chapter of Strikeforce. I call this Swan Song (Remastered), for reasons that I hope are obvious.

And as usual a handful of background articles. Continuing the new style of timeline, I’ve added a couple of events in 1974, and in the encyclopaedia I’ve added Señora Azul. There’s no particular reason for these, they’re not important to current events and they’re not foreshadowing anything, they were just there on the list.

Strikeforce chapter 25 is already half written, so I’m fairly confident that I’m back on a regular schedule (famous last words).

Harry is a hard-boiled private investigator from the 1950s who has suddenly found himself living in the 21st century. What does that feel like? He tells us in his own words in issue #25 of Heroes, Gumshoe.

Last update included a timeline for 1974. Typically, as soon as I’d uploaded it I discovered two other events that took place in that year. So I’ve updated it slightly and you can now learned what happened on the 1st and 30th July.

Finally, an Encyclopaedia entry for the Canadian Special Operations Division, who will probably never appear in Heroes again but will eventually turn up in an earlier incarnation in Strikeforce at some point in the future. I mean, past. Confused? Good, so am I.

Only read 1 chapter and love it. You should consider self publishing this, or at least shopping it around, if you haven’t already.

Thanks, that’s nice to hear :slight_smile:

Because of the way I started it, as a project just to entertain me and a few friends, I have difficulty imagining that a publisher would show any interest. And I’d also have to remove an awful lot of “derivative” elements (intended as homages, but still obvious rip-offs) I think.

I think enough creators do this in comics where you probably wouldn’t have to worry about it.

Strikeforce, the 24th Century Resistance, the Star Guard … just how many heroes does it take to defeat one extra-dimensional invader? If they can stop fighting each other long enough, we might learn the answer, as Strikeforce rushed headlong towards The Point of No Return.

Three more new files this week, in addition to the Strikeforce chapter. In the Who’s Who we have entries for the villainous Hellfire and the Star Guard’s Starquake. In the Gazetteer we have the Warscout’s nuclear bunker.

Next update will be one week away, and will be something a bit different. (I hope. If I can’t finish it in time I’ll just do a Heroes script, I’ve got loads of those stockpiled.)

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time writing an essay on how Atlantean magic works. The problem is, several of the restrictions are completely arbitrary and illogical, but I like to have a “realistic” explanation for everything. So I’ve got something that makes sense (to me) and actually fits in neatly with the overall cosmology of my universe.

So, time well spent :slight_smile:

(Essay will go live in Friday’s update, I hope.)