millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movies that need a sequel

So I’m sitting on the couch watching the end of Unbreakable for maybe the 20th time. The bit at the kitchen table where David Dunn shows the newspaper to his son is one of the best moments in cinema. And of course there’s the reveal at the end of the movie…

And it got me thinking. I really really want to see the second half of this story. The one where Elijah and David are now old men, one in an institution, the other having saved countless lives. I want to see what happens next. The story demands a sequel.

So it’s a simple topic. Hollywood loves sequels. They’re usually a safe investment. What movies do you think should have a sequel?

Goonies.

Been desperate for that for years!

A proper Speed one with Keanu.

More Bill and Ted.

I wouldn’t mind some more Serenity either.

I’d like a Kuffs sequel, but only if I’m writing it!

Time Bandits please!

They’ve been talking about an Unbreakable one for years. Who knows if they’ll ever make it though.

See I think Goonies is perfect as is. The kids have a grand adventure. I don’t want to see Granny’s and Grandad’s being Goonies, and I don’t want a sequel for the kids. I think the story was perfect just as it was, and there’s not really anywhere else to go.

Same for Bill and Ted. Between Excellent Adventure and Bogus journey we got a complete story. Station!!!

I don’t think you can talk about Serenity in a public forum.

We had a Speed 2. Less said the better.

A direct sequel means:

1. Characters you want to spend more time with
  2. A world you want to spend more time in
  3. A story that isn’t perfectly sewn up

There’s not a ton out there that hits all three checkmarks, and actually the first one might be most elusive.

Movies from decades ago is a little rough. Careful what you wish for there.

You are ruining my childhood dreams!!

And besides, there is only one true answer to this.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/auteurs_production/images/film/con-air/w856/con-air.jpg

The Iron Giant.

Yeah it’s tougher than it seems. There’s lots of movies where the story is at a perfect conclusion and the next story wouldn’t add much. Like ET 2. It wouldn’t work at all. You’d make a different movie even if you tried to make it as loving and gentle as the first movie. Even though I love ET so much I wish there was more. Highlander is a good example of something that didn’t need sequels. Terminator is a good example of something that did.

I really wish there’d been a sequel to Stallone’s Dredd. I could spend more time in that world and I think there’s loads of stories to tell. Same for Demolition Man actually.

Big Trouble in Little China always felt like there was lots more to explore in that world with those characters.

John Carter

And The Gods of Mars

I love that movie to death but it was perfect. I don’t think a sequel would ever come close to the quality of the original.

The recent comic proves otherwise. There’s definitely more stories in that universe. It’s a great choice. Too late now though, Kurt Russel is too old.

Showgirls

Sharks on a Train

Edit: I have actually thought about writing a script for that too many times.

[quote=“Jim, post:10, topic:7694, full:true”]
There’s lots of movies where the story is at a perfect conclusion and the next story wouldn’t add much. Like ET 2. It wouldn’t work at all. You’d make a different movie even if you tried to make it as loving and gentle as the first movie. Even though I love ET so much I wish there was more. [/quote]
There actually was a sequel story to ET published in novel form:

I remember reading it as a kid. It was… not good.

There’s an article about it here:

http://brandedinthe80s.com/6446/e-t-went-home-alright-and-maybe-he-should-have-stayed-there

Master and Commander.

Now Who Framed Roger Rabbit?