millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movies of the 60s

The swinging 60s, hippies and war in Vietnam…

1.Performance (made in 1968, released in 1970)
2.Goldfinger
3.The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
5.Bullitt
6.Wild Bunch
7.Planet of the Apes
8. Andrey Rublev
9.Il Grande Silenzio
10.Rosemary’s baby

Honorable mention: Coogan’s Bluff, The Hustler, The Man Who Shot Liberty Wallace, The Great Escape, Butch Sundance Kid, Bonnie and Clyde, The Detective, Mary Poppins

Hard Day’s Night for pure entertainment…

The Hustler
Lawrence of Arabia
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Pink Panther
Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
A Fistful of Dollars
Mary Poppins
A Shot in the Dark
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Bonnie and Clyde
A Countess from Hong Kong
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Odd Couple
Planet of the Apes
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Finally, after all the second-rate decades, we get to one of the best :slight_smile: (I think only the 1950s will beat this one for choice.) So it’s almost impossible to narrow this down to 10 but I’ll do my best:

A Fistful of Dollars
The Magnificent Seven
The Guns of Navarone
West Side Story
Carry on Cleo
Zulu
She
The Assassination Bureau
Battle of Britain
The Italian Job

Topkapi, forgotten masterpiece from ‘64. According to imdb, this is one Christopher Nolan’ s favorites.

Ipcress file, also from '64. One of Michael Caine’s best roles. I know some who prefer this over Bond, due to simple fact it lacks extravagance and gadgetry of 007; instead, making bee-line toward more serious and realistic style of the fictional world of spies.

Call me when we do the 40s.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Goldfinger
Planet of the Apes
Midnight Cowboy
A Fistful of Dollars
Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Rosemary’s Baby
Cool Hand Luke
Night of the Living Dead

Ipcress File was very good and was on my list at first but I had to cut it to keep down to 10.

The 40s to the 60s were the best decades for films (I’m not sure if you were being serious, but I’m totally serious). In terms of rewatchability, I’ll pick films from those decades over most modern film that I’ve enjoyed at the cinema but really can’t be bothered with when they come on television now.

The 60’s were also at the pinnacle of the matinee monster movie, including the Japanese monsters like Godzilla, Gamera, Mothra, King Kong, Frankenstein/Gargantua and Rodan. Even though Godzilla appeared in the 50’s, he made far more movies in the 60’s.

Psycho came out in 1960 and it really changed the thriller genre. It opened the way for a lot of more pyschological (if campy or overly melodramatic by today’s standards) thrillers like Eyes without a Face and Peeping Tom. Roger Corman put out many of his classics - especially the Edgar Allen Poe House of Usher and Masque of the Red Death which hired many of the filmmakers who would define the 70’s. Hammer Films started going strong in the 60’s and those movies still influence horror films today. The 70’s Giallo horror movies really started in the 60’s and, of course, Night of the Living Dead was absolutely a 60’s horror movie.