millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movies of the 1990's

Ok, lets get this over with. I suspect this might be harder than the 70’s but not as hard as the 80’s, but we’ll see how everyone responds.

1. The Matrix. This clearly changed cinema, and in the year Star Wars came back it was the new Star Wars. Marred by the sequels I’ll never forget just how amazing the promising the world seemed after coming out of that movie. A revelation.

2. Apollo 13. I think this is about as finely crafted a Hollywood movie as there’s ever been. Effects are great, storytelling is great, it’s timeless.

3. Unforgiven. For me the best Western ever made.

4. Pulp Fiction. It’s still hard to believe you could look at Quentin and think that guy is cool. This feels like the moment the geeks took over the world.

5. Goldeneye. Best Bond movie ever. Utterly silly when I recently watched it, but my God it’s also brilliant. So many great scenes.

6. Trainspotting. Pivotal movie of my youth.

7. Shawshank Redemption. This feels like a 40’s movie in all the right ways. Takes it nice and slow and enraptures you completely. Another human triumph story.

8. Se7en. Brilliantly creepy. I think more people shit their pants during the sloth scene than any other movie scene in history. The way John Doe introduces himself is also a brilliant terrifying moment when your expectations for this movie are spun on their head and suddenly you the viewer have been pulled into his plan too.

9. Waterboy. Second only to Blazing Saddles for me in all time comedy greats. I love every single second of it.

10. Any Given Sunday. This felt like truly modern art storytelling. It bent all the rules, direction went in every different way and yet it was a fantastic end product. The bit where LT talks in the steam room is some amazing acting.

Yup.

A fair bit of crossover with Jim’s list.

Pulp Fiction (the hipsters will say Reservoir Dogs but it’s Pulp Fiction by a mile)
The Matrix
Terminator 2
Jurassic Park
Trainspotting
Usual Suspects
Groundhog Day
Wayne’s World
The Disney Renaissance films (particularly Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion King)
Toy Story
Austin Powers
Fight Club
Being John Malkovich

I’ve gone way over ten there haven’t I. I keep trying to edit it down and it’s hard to choose.

Feels like there should be at least one Jim Carrey on the list too.

I think the 1990s was a very poor decade for blockbuster films. They were driven by spectacle alone and had no heart or lasting impression.

It’s no real surprise for me that Jim’s list (and he is an admitted fan of mainstream fare) contains none of that genre action stuff really, even The Matrix was R rated and somewhat esoteric. I think the leaps in CGI from The Matrix actually helped films to come as the understanding effects could now essentially do anything meant it was important to put more into story and character.

I’m hopeless at putting stuff in order, I’ll take all week deciding so here is my list.

Pulp Fiction - I saw this before Reservoir Dogs, I walked out of the cinema feeling like a bit of a gangster, it’s dumb at 2.30pm in Cardiff on a Saturday afternoon but it is always a great sign for me that a film has that emotional change when you leave.

Trainspotting - they made this one for me I think. A pivotal film for my generation.

Shawshank Redemption - it’s amazing such a slow movie also very slowly (it was not a hit in theatres) came to the top of people’s rankings.

The Usual Suspects - loved the style, loved the way it kept you guessing.

Being John Malkovitch - I know Kaufman’s style isn’t to all tastes but I love the freedom he points to when you can take any crazy idea and make it work as a narrative.

Naked - This is harsh and bleak and clever and funny and amazingly acted. Only Christian and I will vote for this.

Goodfellas - and I generally don’t really like gangster films so it’s inclusion here is quite an endorsement.

Toy Story - Disney started the renaissance of animated films in the late 80s with The Little Mermaid, this is when they hit being great all round again.

Schindler’s List - Spielberg’s adult masterpiece.

Magnolia - I’ve never actually seen it, this entry is just to annoy @Christian

(I’ll be alone here in that I found Terminator 2 to be a bit disappointing at the cinema, special effects aside I kind of expected more, prefer the first one).

I like them both for different reasons. They’re really the same story told in different ways - the first one is the grimy, gritty tight little horror movie take on the story, the second is the shiny big-budget blockbuster version. I think your taste in movies (or your mood on a given day!) probably determines which one you prefer.

I think that was probably what disappointed me.

I saw T2 first so it was never an issue for me.

I think T2 tries to add something different - it’s a more thoughtful, hopeful film than the original - but I can see why it would feel like a retread.

T2 isn’t quite to Terminator what Aliens was to Alien. Millar told me a story this week about Aliens - Jim Cameron’s pitch to Fox. He walked into the room full of studio executives and said nothing. He put up a white board and wrote:

ALIEN

Then he added an S

ALIENS

And the board started to get excited. Then he added a straight line

ALIEN$

And apparently that’s how he got the gig.

So T2 should have had an army of Terminators rather than the charisma free T1000, but I think Cameron wanted to play with his new CGI toys (he was playing as he was planning Avatar even back then). It hurt the movie somewhat as a result, Arnie fighting off a dozen different Terminators would have been way more epic. I agree with Gar it wasn’t a good decade for action movies like the 80’s were, but they clearly were moving away from super male leads to something much different (maybe because there wasn’t the same level of action star). So we got slimmed down Keanu taking over for Arnie, and a more friendly Will Smith taking over for Stallone. It was really hard not including Speed and Point Break on my list, so clearly I still enjoyed the alternative male lead hero.

Marvel Movies & TV General Discussion

That was literally the opening scene! :slight_smile:

That was literally the best part of the movie!

Well, the first part is easy:

1. Fight Club

And then:

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Twelve Monkeys
  3. Miller’s Crossing
  4. The Matrix
  5. Groundhog Day
  6. Fargo
  7. The Commitments
  8. A Few Good Men
  9. The Shawshank Redemption

And the Green Mile (1999). It is like the apotheosis of 90’s movies. You have pretty much every possible trope - the ultimate magical negro (take that, Bagger Vance!), based on a Stephen King novel, starring Tom Hanks, sentimental as hell and someone has cancer!

Seriously, though, it would be hard to put together a list of the greatest movies of the 90’s without mentioning one that Tom Hanks starred in. Sleepless in Seattle, Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Toy Story, Saving Private Ryan and The Green Mile.

Also, there would be no Se7en if not for Silence of the Lambs. Thelma and Louise is still beloved by a whole group of people. Foreign films like Le Femme Nikita and Leon from Besson reintroduced the mainstream US to French films and, of course, that was when John Woo and Jackie Chan really reached the general American audiences.

Well, the 90s to me were kinda response to the 80s. Basically, the same movies, but with less excess than, sorta cooled down. Also, we got new stars, who marked their name in late 80s - Steven Seagal, JCVD, Bruce Willis and later, as said, guys, who exploded in action genre - Reeves and Smith. Stallone and Eastwood careers started to decline, even if they made some successfull movies.

Anyway, I thought this is be hard, but really it is not. So…

1.T2
2.Se7en
3.Fight Club
4.Hard Boiled (or whatever is HK title)
5.Memento
6.Last Action Hero
7.DH3
8. The Last Boy Scout
9.Point Break
10.The Matrix
11.Silence of the Lambs
12.Speed
13.Saving Private Ryan
14.Broken Arrow
15.Bad Boys

(I hope nobody will start 2000s thread, 'cuz that will kill my mind😁)

That French Nikita is pretty good, IMO, better than Leon. It’s then Besson made his name. As for Woo, I think it started before with his A Better Tomorrow and The Killer. But Hard Boiled cemented his reputation, on which strength he went to Hollywood.

It feels like Green Mile had it perfect until the execution scene. They really dragged it out and the scene direction was off putting withe the exploding lights. Stephen King had an inspired idea to tell that kind of story.

That’s because what it was killing was 90’s movies. I honestly think it was the last true 90’s film in retrospect. Like I think HARDCORE was the last true 70’s movie. It’s hard to think of the last true 80’s movie. I guess Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade would be the most poetic choice, but the 80’s bled more strongly into the 90’s than the 90’s into the next century.

That execution scene is one of the most roughest experiences I ever had a chance to witness. And unnecessary graphic. Is it blasphemy if say I love The Green Mile over Shawshank?

Ragnarok?

The Matrix
Pulp Fiction
T2
Fight Club
The Usual Suspects
Shawshank Redemption
Trainspotting
Natural Born Killers
The Big Lebowski
Being John Malkovich

Honourable mentions to Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, Seven, Ghost In The Shell, Princess Mononoke, Velvet Goldmine, Crash, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Rushmore, Dazed and Confused, Office Space, and Clerks.

Not done my 70s list yet, but I’ll have a bash at this quickly

Dumb and Dumber

The Wedding Singer

Terminator 2

Candyman

Pulp Fiction

Boys in the Hood

White Men Can’t Jump

Scream

The Big Lebowski

Edward Scissorhands