millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movies of the 1970s

Inspired by the 1980s thread, I decided to start a thread which will deal with the decade I adore too.
Now, I’d probably put Performance on the list (my favorite UK movie ever), but it’s made in 1968,and it’s purely 60s film. Now, here we go:

1.Alien
2.A Clockwork Orange
3.Apocalypse Now
4.Cross of Iron
5.Dirty Harry
6.Taxi Driver
7.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
8.The Warriors
9.The Exorcist
10. The French Connection
11.Sorcerer
12.Stalker
13.Suspiria (this or Deep Red)
14. Superman
15.Kelly’s Heroes

4 Likes

Gumball Rally
Rollerball

Adventures of a Window Cleaner,.

1 Like

There’s only about eight-ten great movies in the 70s and half of them are pretty damn depressing.

Sgt Pepper … lol

Is that a movie I missed? Sgt Pepper LOL? A great 1970s landmark from 1967?

Star Wars
Alien
Jaws
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Life of Brian
Superman
The Wicker Man
Clockwork Orange
Get Carter
Apocalypse Now

Lots of big ones that don’t quite make the list - Rocky, Godfather, Close Encounters, Taxi Driver, Silent Running, the Exorcist, Carrie, Halloween, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Cuckoos Nest…

5 Likes

That isn’t by any chance, an adult film? I am asking because the title.

It’s not nearly as adult as Confessions of a Driving Instructor. * fans self *

1 Like

Limiting myself to 10 because I’d be here all night…

Star Wars
Superman
Alien
Silent Running
Grease
Marathon Man
The Towering Inferno
The Poseidon Adventure
A Bridge Too Far
Star Trek: The Motion Picture

…I’ve barely scratched the surface.

The 80s might have more films in my all-time top 10, but the 70s would have more in my all-time top 100. The 70s were awesome for films, probably only beaten by the 50s and the 60s.

2 Likes

The Sgt. Pepper film came out in '78. It’s… quite something.

For mine?

Taxi Driver
Godfather
Godfather 2
Serpico
Dog Day Afternoon

1 Like

The 70s is a bit harder as there are fewer crowd-pleasers but a more robust selection of complex, darker movies. For a top ten I might say:

Alien
All That Jazz
Barry Lyndon
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Don’t Look Now
Godfather 2
Halloween
Harold and Maude
Nashville
The Wicker Man

2 Likes

MASH
Tora! Tora! Tora!
THX 1138
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The French Connection
A Clockwork Orange
The Godfather
Man of La Mancha
American Graffiti
The Exorcist
Mean Streets
Serpico
Blazing Saddles
The Godfather Part II
Young Frankenstein
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
The Man Who Would Be King
The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings
The Missouri Breaks
Robin and Marian
Rocky
The Shootist
Taxi Driver
Annie Hall
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Smokey and the Bandit
Star Wars
The Buddy Holly Story
Superman
Days of Heaven
Alien
Apocalypse Now
Mad Max
Monty Python’s Life of Brian
The Muppet Movie
Star Trek: The Motion Picture

2 Likes

I watched MASH about a year or so ago and it has aged badly. The sexism and racism just don’t work today. It is very much of the time it was made and the time it depicted.

1 Like

The TV show is much the same, but Alan Alda made a concerted effort to change the sexism in its later years.

1 Like

…like giving “Hot Lips” Houlihan more respect in the later years.

The movie doesn’t age well. It is just a little strange to see different actors play the roles, like seeing Mathau and Lemmon play in the original Odd Couple instead of Randall and Klugman.

1 Like

Paul Shrader’s HARDCORE is a forgotten 70’s classic that was ahead of its time in ‘79. Like Friedkin’s SORCEROR, it was on of the last films in the 70’s that was still a “70’s movie” in style.

I think the last true 70’s “horror movie” was the Haunting of Julia, if you don’t consider The Shining a 70’s film.

1 Like

The movie is very different from the show. Like American Graffiti, like Nashville, it’s very much following Hawkeye and Trapper John as if you’re right there with them. It’s a lot more grim, too. Listening to the lyrics of the song…if all you knew previously was the instrumental version from the show, it’s shocking. It’s a revelation. That’s what it’s all about. The show was always called the Vietnam War version of Korea, but it’s hard to find a movie that better expresses disillusionment with war, what the Vietnam War produced in Americans, than the movie. Hawkeye and Trapper’s bad behavior has less to do with chauvinism than desperately trying to keep their sanity intact. You can watch Tigerland if you want to see someone screw with the system itself (or try to; but just watch the movie, if you haven’t, as it’s the well-deserved basis of Colin Farrell’s whole career, and really, what was sort of impossible to follow up). But MASH as a movie is a true cathartic experience. Easy Rider gets the nod as the prototypical counterculture experience of that era, but really it’s Sutherland and Gould inheriting the Wild One/Rebel Without a Cause mantle.

1 Like

I always think of The Shining as a '70s film, even though it was released in 1980. Same with Raging Bull.

Naturally.

2 Likes