millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers - Hollywood Hype

I actually watched the Emoji Movie for the first time over the weekend at my kids’ request, and it wasn’t as terrible as I expected, just fairly middling kids’ stuff (with a bit of cynical product-placement thrown in). The same with the Lego Ninjago movie that I also watched this weekend.

It’s made me appreciate how spoiled we are by great kids’ movies these days. They were both perfectly serviceable animated films with some funny lines and enjoyable moments, but that isn’t enough nowadays to stand out, as there’s so much better stuff being done elsewhere.

That looks very good.

That bunny joke…! <3

I watched the short a while ago, didn’t realize it was getting adapted into a feature.

Still not sure on this, but it’s a step up for Pitt, who hasn’t had a good starring role since Moneyball in 2011 (though I’m really looking forward to Ad Astra next year too).

sigh

What hideous alien creature will he be, I wonder?

A funny one, hopefully.

https://www.empireonline.com/people/rick-famuyiwa/dope-rick-famuyiwa-adapting-graphic-novel-black-hole/

He spent some time developing a Flash movie for Warner Bros. and DC, only to part ways over creative differences. Now Dope writer/director Rick Famuyiwa is looking to help a long-gestating project get to the screen. He’s attached to write and direct an adaptation of graphic novel Black Hole.

Great book, but I don’t know how well it’ll translate to film. Fincher tried for years, and Neil Gaiman wrote a script for it.

I think that it lends itself well to a very pragmatic adaptation. Don’t know whether it will sit well with all fans, but it can be parsed down, I always felt.

New trailer I think;

This looks like a continuation of the ideas I’ve seen in some of Moorhead and Benson’s previous films, especially ‘Resolution’.

I’ll give this a try.

Why not Noelle?

I’m officially enthused by The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Viola Davis, Lupita Nyong’o To Star As Mother And Daughter ‘The Woman King’ — True Story of Dahomey Amazon Warriors

Hot on the heels of Black Panther, a huge movie has just been announced starring Viola Davis and Lupita Nyong’o.

They will star in The Woman King, which is “the powerful true story of an extraordinary mother-daughter relationship.” TriStar has just acquired the worldwide rights.

“There’s no-one more extraordinary than Viola Davis and Lupita Nyong’o to bring them to life,” said Hannah Minghella, president of TriStar Pictures, in a statement.

The film is inspired by true events in the Kingdom of Dahomey, a powerful state in 18th century. It will tell the story of Nanisca (Davis), general of the all-female military unit known as the Amazons, and her daughter Nawi (Nyong’o), who together fought the French and neighboring tribes who violated their honor, enslaved their people, and threatened to destroy everything they’ve lived for.

The story is an original from Maria Bello and Cathy Schulman’s Welle Entertainment. Davis and her husband Julius Tennon, under their JuVee Productions will produce.

“The Woman King has the potential to be a game changer for women of color everywhere. Viola and our team at JuVee are beyond excited to partner with Sony/TriStar to bring these fierce women to the big screen," said Tennon.

“Black Panther just showed us how the power of imagination and lore could reveal a world without gender and racial stereotypes. The Woman King will tell one of history’s greatest forgotten stories from the real world in which we live, where an army of African warrior women staved off slavery, colonialism and inter-tribal warfare to unify a nation," said Schulman.

Announcements are not movies, development doesn’t mean production is guaranteed, but this is a good story and very cinematic, if they can make it happen.

‘Highlander’ Reboot Gets Moving After ‘Colony’ Writer Ryan Condal Hands In Script

It’s been a long time in the works but the reboot of classic warrior franchise Highlander is moving forward. I hear that Colony writer Ryan Condal has delivered a script to Lionsgate and pre-production is set to start later this year.

–SNIP–

I understand that Lionsgate, which acquired Summit Entertainment in 2012, is extremely pleased with the script and has set pre-production for October after Stahelski has finished the third John Wick film starring Keanu Reeves. It is set for a 2019 release.

–SNIP–

“We’ve finally got a screenplay we’re happy with,” Patrick Wachsberger, Head of Lionsgate’s Motion Picture Group tells me. “We have set up the story so it has sequel potential.” It’s thought that Stahelski is already planning a Highlander trilogy. Last year, the director said it had a lot of parallels to John Wick, the third of which was being sold by Lionsgate at EFM in Berlin. He said he was creating the world and the mythology of immortals and had a stunt team already working on it.

Condal is repped by WME, Grandview and McKuin Frankel, while Stahelski, who recently signed up to fantasy drama Sandman Slim for Studio 8, is repped by WME and Tara Kole of Gang, Tyre.

“…sequel potential…” hopefully means the first film with have an actual ending, but with a door they can open for future stories.

The alternative is that they are making a part one with a cliffhanger, but it doesn’t read like that.

Micahel Jai White is crowdfunding a Western follow-up to Black Dynamite:

The A.V. Club: When you first started teasing this project on Twitter, a lot of people, myself included, thought it would be a sequel to Black Dynamite. But that’s not the case.

Michael Jai White: Basically, I think of it as being like Monty Python. It’s the same team doing another parody movie.

AVC: And it’s a parody of spaghetti Westerns?

MJW: I want it to be like the movies I grew up with that had that same ethos of the Western in the ’70s. Movies like Buck And The Preacher. They were family-friendly, and they were a really fun type of film. So it’s a return to that era.

AVC: Did I hear you say it’s going to be family-friendly?

MJW: Yeah, this one’s going to be a lot more family-friendly than its predecessor. [Laughs.] Plus, when you do a Western, it’s about paying loving homage to it. There are moralities and a code in the best Westerns that I think you’re going to have to adhere to if you’re going to step into that genre.

AVC: Do you have the script already written?

MJW: Oh yeah, the script’s been ready for quite some time. People have been very excited about the script; I had several offers to fully finance the movie, but I’ve chosen to do it in a very independent way.

–SNIP–

Family friendly is potentially good for business, as long as it doesn’t hold his comedy back.