millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers - Hollywood Hype

I could try:

Black Panther
Annihlation
Deadpool 2
Infinity War
Incredibles 2
A Wrinkle In Time (loved the book as a kid)
Isle of Dogs
Wreck It Ralph 2
Creed 2 (maybe)

Good effort. I haven’t managed that many. I guess I’m not counting Annihilation because it’s just being dumped on Netflix over here.

For me:

Black Panther
Deadpool 2
Infinity War
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Ant-Man and the Wasp

Black Panther
Deadpool 2
Infinity War
A Quiet Place
Hereditary
The Ritual (just came out)
Annihlation
Incredibles 2
Wreck It Ralph 2
The Ranger (kind of a cheat since it hasn’t received distribution yet)
New Mutants

Ironically, ANNIHILATION is about the only movie I’m definitely seeing in the theater. ISLE OF DOGS is the next most likely, and odds are about 50/50.

I’ll see others, but probably at home.

It’s no surprise that Annihilation is getting very little promotion, though. It comes out in just a couple weeks, and I haven’t seen anything new on it since last year.

Pretty sure it’s going directly to Netflix here in the US too.

Annihilation? No, it’s in cinemas in North America and China.

I thought it was doing both maybe just with the Netflix release maybe a week or two behind theater release.

Huh, I was under the impression that it was bypassing the theaters and going directly to Netflix.

Oh, goodie - we got some news on it:

I seem to recall that Garland started working on it before the second book was even released. In any regard, he wasn’t considering them when adapting the first book and I’m halfway through AUTHORITY and didn’t even notice the biologist was supposed to be Asian American or that the Psychologist was Indian American. Certainly, that is not at all a part of the original novel where they are actually trying to be generic functions - not personalities - to keep Area X at bay.

It’s a little insane to call this whitewashing, though. There was nothing about the characters that indicated their race or ethnicity at all in the novel. If he had made a few of them men, that would’ve been a problem.

Nope, it’s out next week:

It’s not in the first book, but the sequels (which Garland didn’t read) make it very clear.

I can’t tell if it makes a difference, though. Knowing that she’s asian american didn’t change anything about the way I thought of her in the first novel.

To be honest - I doubt this movie will make much of an impression. If anything, the Southern Reach could end up re-adapted into a Netflix series with completely new people.

The other books are good, but aren’t that adaptable. There wouldn’t be much point in continuing it.

It’s still a problem that they were changed. It’s always going to be a problem. People have to get used to the fact that it’s a problem and avoid the problem in the easiest way possible.

Stop doing it.

My point is that he didn’t change them. When he got ahold of it, they didn’t even have names. They were the biologist, psychologist, linguist, surveyor and archeologist. All we knew were that they were women. Garland was already working on it before the second novel even came out - at that point, it was his script.

And he had the author to talk to.

“Hey man, I know you’re writing sequels, anything I should be aware of?”

Or, VanderMeer could tell him, as they’re handing over the rights for however much he got paid;

“Just so you know, they’re a mixed ethnic group. Here’s a list. Good luck and see you at the premiere!”

It’s not difficult. Not even a tiny bit.

How do you know he didn’t do that? Let’s look what Vandermeer himself has said:

“The first thing I realized is that even though Alex Garland says he’s not an auteur, he is an auteur. So my expectation was to not have anything to do with the movie and that’s the actual fact. He wrote the script and he was kind enough to keep me in the loop during every part of the process, but that wasn’t for me to put my two cents in, basically. It was just so I would know what was going on.”

“It’s actually more surreal than the novel. There are a couple places where I was like, ‘I might need an anchor here.’ The ending is so mind-blowing and in some ways different from the book that it seems to be the kind of ending that, like 2001 or something like that, people will be talking about around the watercooler for years… Visually, it’s amazing. I must say that and that’s all I probably should say.”

Do you think it really matters that much to him? If the author isn’t going to make a big deal about it, then why should we? On top of that, it is a cast of mostly women who are not all white, young and sexy. I mean, this is the movie that people are going to criticize for being insensitive?

I don’t know who said what to who, I just know that the film has white characters that weren’t white in the trilogy of novels, so someone didn’t ask, didn’t listen, or didn’t think it mattered.

Don’t know which one though (see above).

Oh we’ve been down this road before but I’ll pull my walking boots on again for tonight.

To start with, it’s one I’ll share with @Christian. I invoke the guardian of the ‘The Death of the Author’!

And my own 2 cents is that;

(1) culturally speaking, representation matters. So reducing the ethnic variety of a story when putting it onscreen is a bad thing.

(2) non-white roles are hard to come by and non-white actors should, at the very least, be playing roles that originated as non-white. They have bills to pay as well as artistic aspirations in their field.

And lastly, to return to my earlier point; this isn’t new. To do this, now (or even 18 months ago when the film was probably in pre-production) is just dumb.

In fact its capital letters DUMB. Smart people should hang their heads in shame at being so DUMB.

It is hardly dumb. In fact, it is more dumb to point to a movie whose main characters are practically all women and who are not all white and cry “whitewashing!” when people who only read the first novel would have no idea what race the characters are. I’d like to know how many of the members of the MANAA have actually read the novel anyway.

I doubt Natalie Portman read any of the sequels either. Hell, most actors don’t even read the novels their movies are based on.

The fact is, Garland could’ve easily cast the movie all white with men and women on the expedition and probably would have gotten it made a lot more easily.

Especially, when everyone says there should be “colorblind” casting, too. Annihilation is perfect for that since anyone could play any of the roles, but I can’t think of an actress better than Portman who would be able to get the movie made.

I mean, if you had to put up millions of dollars, then who would you have cast in the role?