millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers - Hollywood Hype

I’ll pass. Looks like there trying to do another Rings movie.

Yeah that does look fairly generic. I have no idea what the end of that trailer was going for (other than a Ring pastiche).

Yeah, Deadline is quoting the Daily Mail there, which is already a bad sign.

Slightly more extensive quoting here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/29/big-budget-films-ruining-future-hollywood-jodie-foster-warns/

Super-heroes are just an example because they’re currently the biggest action movies; I think she’s talking about big-budget movies in general.

Asked whether she would ever consider making a film about a superhero, she said she would consider it, but only if they had “really complex psychology”.

Hah! And now James Gunn has commented on this and the Daily Mail (and the media) are trying to make it look like he’s picking a fight with Foster when really his comment is entirely sensible!

Jesus, is there nothing else going on in media news at the moment?

Gunn’s tweets:

1. I think Foster looks at film in an old-fashioned way where spectacle film can’t be thought-provoking. It’s often true but not always. Her belief system is pretty common and isn’t totally without basis.

2. I say not without basis because most studio franchise films are somewhat soulless - and that is a real danger to the future of movies. But there are also quite a few exceptions.

3. For cinema to survive I believe spectacle films NEED to have a vision and heart they traditionally haven’t. And some of us are doing our best to move in that direction. Creating spectacle films that are innovative, humane, and thoughtful is what excites me about this job.

4. But, to be fair, at least from Foster’s quotes, she seems to see filmmaking as something that’s primarily about her own personal growth.

5. For me, that may be part of why I do this, but spending many millions of dollars on a film has to be about more than that - it’s communication - so my experience is merely one spoke on that wheel.

6. But I respect Foster and her talent and what she’s done for films and I appreciate her different way of looking at Hollywood’s landscape.

The thing I noticed most about Foster’s quotes was that it was all “me” and “I”, which is what I meant about entitlement.

The only time she mentioned the audience was to say that they were being ruined by big movies.

It’s a familiar complaint, especially from actors. they want to make the middle budget movies that provide juicy roles for them.

But things change and media evolve. It’s peak TV time now. She’s probably going to be happier there for now.

That shouldn’t be an issue, if it’s just about the work.

Yeah, but I think that was mostly because she was talking about the kind of movies she is interested in directing? I would guess that that is what the interviewer was asking about in the first place.

That’s still what Gunn was referring to though; it’s for her, not the audience.

But she’s still annoyed that the audience isn’t as interested in what she likes as they are in films she’s criticising.

Entitlement.

There’s something in common with movie/TV-making and psychotherapy on any level. It is all about the work. No matter what one does, be it bringing a dragon to the screen or doing four hours of 1:1 therapy at 3am - the commonality is that you, the one who did the work, will vanish. Directors are remembered as are most cast. Doctors are remembered as are some facilities. The folks who put in 20-hour days compiling that dragon or that fellow who always works weekends? Forgotten. Ignored. Disappeared into memories of the Project or the Hospitalization.

As in: who actually cooked last time we went out for food? Do we even have a clue?

Then add folks whose ego function drives them to celebrity. There we go!

I hadn’t realised that 'The Addams Family; film that Oscar Issac is attached to will be animated;

How else would you do it? :confused:

The_Addams_Family_105_The_Mardi_Gras_Story_082

Like this?

It’s impressive how they managed to find a cast that so closely matched the cartoon. Though they gave Pugsley the wrong colour hair.

The cartoon post-dates the TV show, and the tone used for Pugley’s hair in the comic strips is closer to a light brown or dirty blonde than the shock of yellow hair in the cartoon. So it’s more that the cartoon did a good job of cariacturing the TV series’ actors than the TV show recreated the cartoon cast 9 years before the animators got to work.

Pfft. You obviously have little understanding of how time works.

The only positive thing I can say about this trailer is that Willis doesn’t seem as bored as he usually does. I mean, he still seems bored, just not as much as usual.

That’s exciting. I’ll look forward to whatever he comes up with.

Also on Netflix, in some countries.