millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers - Hollywood Hype

I sometimes use RT with small pictures—generally if they don’t get a score way up in the 90s they are skippable.

With big blockbusters I don’t use RT at all. Who knows with those, most critics are lemmings who chase clicks and the fanboy nod of approval, with others maybe a movie just caught them on a good day or bad day. It’s not easy to review a lot of these movies anyway—they’re not high art but they’re mostly well made and functional, and their success comes down to personal taste.

I saw that earlier, a nice move and while it would never have been their intention it likely will help the film just as much as people are sharing the story and awareness it is coming out, maybe more than just a standard red carpet event.

That looks shocking!

:wink:

Marvel and Star Wars films officially moving to Disneys new streaming service. Still no word on what all this means for the Marvel Netflix series.

Heh. All the time, I was thinking, hey, this movie is seriously missing some Tesla! And there he is.

Yeah, okay, I’m in. It’s a great story, and I like all three actors a lot.

I believe the new Runaways series will be on Hulu.

Ya. It’s probably significant that they call out “movies”.

That’s not my Tesla.

How about this one?

Nope.

The fact that anyone here is admitting to using Rotten Tomatoes to judge whether or not to see a movie is proof enough of the RT effect. But I’ve often found that if a movie starts out with bad press, the bad press is just going to keep piling on, whether or not it actually deserves it. Critics are definitely lemmings. And I often disagree with them. And I stopped paying attention to them some time ago (unless they’re really high on a limited release, because often that’s the only way to know anything about limited release films). The last good critic was Roger Ebert. I base my movie watching on stuff that looks interesting to me. I really could care less what other people think. I believe that comes through with the stuff I’ve listed here as my favorites.

What set Ebert apart from most critics, I think, is that he reviewed films on a sort of sliding scale; that is, he would review a horror movie according to the expectations of a horror movie, rather than in comparison to a Truffaut or Kubrick film.

Ebert gets a lot of love but he was often very wrong in his reviews. I can’t remember what film it was now but I stopped reading him when his review left me wondering if he had even seen the film.

I don’t know if Ebert was a great critic but he was a great writer. Which, of course, is like 95% of the job.

His on-air defense of Magnolia left me stunned.