millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers - Hollywood Hype

From the director of Bone Tomahawk.

I didn’t know about this: apparently three short films are fleshing out the world of Blade Runner between the end of that movie and the start of its sequel.

Here’s the first, 2036: Nexus Dawn.

Directed by Luke Scott (Ridley’s son).

Good. I loved the shorts that he directed for the Alien: Covenant marketing. If this film follows suit then all the better.

The Alien: Covenant marketing was what I was reminded of, too.

I quite liked the short film. I don’t consider stuff like this to be spoiling the movie itself (even though it gives us information about the film before we see it, and much more than we get from the trailers). In fact, I would probably assume that (as with Alien: Covenant) we’re meant to watch this stuff first to be able to fully appreciate the film when we see it.

Some weird cuts. I expect there’s an uncut R-rated version of this somewhere?

As a short, it was alright. Nice way to setup a little bit of the story’s framework, but nothing particularly memorable about the way this short was filmed.

Intriguing. No idea what that last bit is going to be like, but it’s a pretty awesome trailer.

Loved the use of that song. I think it reminds me of a cartoon…

I really hope the movie isn’t like that short, that was terrible, so pretentious and so silly! :frowning:

EDIT:
Reports are saying the film is 163 minutes long.

He looks nothing like the real person, but he’s a good actor, which is more important;

Fresh off one of the more impressive summers this year between his turns in Baby Driver, Shot Caller and Wind River, actor Jon Bernthal has found what may be his next hit — Damien Chazelle’s FIRST MAN, which stars Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong, the Tracking Board has exclusively learned.

Universal Pictures and DreamWorks are co-financing First Man, which is based on the book by James R. Hansen. The film tells the riveting story of NASA’s mission to land a man on the moon, focusing on Neil Armstrong during the years between 1961 and 1969. The movie will explore the sacrifices and the cost — on Armstrong and on the nation — of one of the most dangerous space missions in history.

Claire Foy (The Crown) will co-star as Armstrong’s wife, while Corey Stoll, Kyle Chandler, Jason Clarke and Shea Whigham will play Buzz Aldrin, Deke Slayton, Ed White and Gus Grissom, respectively.

Bernthal is in negotiations to play Dave Scott, who walked on the moon in July 1971 as part of Apollo 15, making him one of only a dozen men to have set foot on its surface.

http://www.tracking-board.com/jon-bernthal-to-cap-off-impressive-summer-by-joining-damien-chazelles-first-man-exclusive/

Reports are saying the film is 163 minutes long.

That sounds great to me! I’m really hoping that this lives up to all of the hype. At the very least it’s guaranteed to be stunning, and I think that we’re always in need of a science fiction film that looks great.
Besides, I’ve only seen Gosling in two films this year so far. A meaty running time here can make up for that pretty well. :wink:

I want it to be good, and on paper it looks pretty good, but I’ve got a bad feeling about the Blade Runner movie.

The new Guillermo del Toro premiered, and it’s getting good reviews:

Annoyingly, it doesn’t come out here for another six months.

Same. Gosling, for one. He’s ok, and I know it make financial sense … but there’s something about the casting, it feels comparable to George Clooney or Matt Damon being in Bladerunner … somehow A-list doesn’t feel right for that one, to me.

But I want it to be good, too. I hope it’s a LOT of practical effects, too.

I hope that this gets some kind of UK theatrical release. It is a John Woo movie after all.
I don’t think that the earlier film or the book are available over here though, are they? Is it too much to hope that somebody sorts that out before the Woo flick hits?

But is Gosling really A-list? His biggest hits to date have been The Notebook and La La Land, plus Crazy, Stupid, Love (helped considerably by its international audience). He’s never been in a blockbuster. Ford had appeared in two Star Wars movies and one Indiana Jones when Blade Runner came out. Which, I might remind the viewing public, was a massive box office failure that became a quintessential cult favorite I think in part because it was instantly a “lost” Harrison Ford movie at the beginning of a blockbuster career where he went on to become a long and varied success story. In essence, he’d been fortunate enough to have two successful blockbuster vehicles to that point, but there was no guarantee that his career would take off like it did. Gosling, if anything, is poised to launch not only a blockbuster career, if this second Blade Runner takes off immediately, but redeem the concept itself as the blockbuster material it initially failed to be seen as.

But if that doesn’t happen, there’s always another three decades for it to become a cult hit that spawns another belated sequel…

Just like Tron.

This is a review, not news or a trailer, but it made me happy to see it. Goon was one of the most quietly surprising fantastic movies I’ve seen in recent years, and it’s nice to see an initial review that praises the unexpected sequel so highly as well.

Yeah I’m really excited for the sequel. It unnecessarily but the first film was so enjoyable and surprisingly sweet so I have high hopes for this one.