millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers - Hollywood Hype

I’d rather sit through that movie that read beyond the first couple of paragraphs of that opinion piece.

It’s a cartoon, for kids. Why did she even watch it in the first place?

Because criticism has devolved into a competition to see who can be snarkiest in some circles.

I believe that girl was being 100% serious however.

Ten years old?

She’s trolling all the way there.

Nah man, when I was in elementary school I got a book at a book fair called “1000 Facts about Whales”.

Too many facts man.

Second Neill Blomkamp Oats Studios short:

Yeah I posted this in the video thread a couple days ago. I think at this point it’s pretty clear these are meant as proof of concepts for him to sell rather than actual short films.

What was the first?

You can donate some money for them, in which case you get some behind the scenes video and even some of the 3D models used in the VFX.

The short films themselves haven’t really worked for me, but I’m intrigued with the process. I’ll probably take a look at the extra content of at least one of the them.

Still not sure I’ll bother to see it, but then I’m not a big 3D fan. I may wait to hear from reviews as to whether it’s really worth it.

Terminator Genisys is on Netflix at the moment and I put it on when I was cooking dinner last night. The half hour or so is a very faithful, but curiously tension free and uninvolving remix of the good stuff from the first two movies.

I’m not desperately motivated to keep watching.

Genisys actually changes quite a bit after that, and becomes its own story (based on the remnants of the shredded continuity that are left over from that first half hour or so).

It’s not great, but as a Terminator fan I at least thought it was an interesting attempt to take a new approach, rather than just a straight remake of the premise (which is basically what Terminator 2 and 3 were).

I actually really liked the initial section with the future war backstory that we never saw until now, and the Arnie-versus-Arnie fight - partly due to the care taken to recreate the feel of the original movie, which I guess is empty nostalgia, but partly because it took a predictable story and made it a bit unpredictable again.

But the messy way the film’s story plays out after that, combined with the poor casting (aside from Arnie, none of the leads is really any good) mean it never really becomes a good movie.

I think the only really good idea in Genisys, and I mean downright clever, is that in each movie Skynet’s plans get closer and closer to the present.

It makes a whole lot of sense that one of its plans would eventually get down to the end of the war itself.

Other than that, it’s incredibly messy. It’s not outrageously bad but the story is needlessly mired in half-thought out turns and such and the acting is never there.

Still I’d love another take on that idea.

My opinion hasn’t changed since ‘Salvation’; all these attempts to expand the Terminator idea are a waste of time (no pun intended).

I don’t think it’s a world that needs expanding. I think it’s a simple man vs machine premise that works best when it sticks to that idea.

I’m sure there’s a market for digressions and explorations of the various component parts of the world, but it’s the sort of market that could support a short story collection or a limited comic book series, not a huge movie, or even a TV show.

Not all wheels need re-inventing, some just need to made well.

Agreed, I’d have been cool if there hadn’t been sequels. The first is just so good, but it works in a nice microcosm and uses a simple time travel trick - which by necessity is made more mired in any continuation.

You could make the same argument that the first Terminator didn’t need adding to or expanding, but I’m still glad they made Terminator 2. The trouble is, at its core the franchise is such a simple and straightforward story that I think you need to do more with it if you want to keep making more movies (which arguably the second movie did pretty well with its challenging of the closed-loop ethos of the first movie).

I’ve enjoyed the various non-Cameron spinoffs and sequels to varying degrees too. The Sarah Connor Chronicles TV show was actually pretty good once it hit its stride, and explored some interesting alternate story ideas that grew pretty naturally out of the basic building blocks of the franchise. I wish it had carried on for longer.

Terminator 3 had some terrible moments but also some pretty good ones, and I liked the ballsiness of its final twist and ending.

Terminator Salvation was… a film that was released. I can’t think of anything better to say about it than that. :slight_smile:

At this point, I think the best option for the franchise - if it really has to continue - is probably a completely fresh reboot. Strip away all the clutter and history of the series - even Arnie - and get back to what made the first (and second) movie work so well. The human story of the saviour of mankind on the run from an unstoppable killing machine.

It risks being repetitive/derivative of the original and basically unnecessary, but I think it’s better than the alternatives.

I don’t object to sequels, but I don’t think that stepping away from the core idea works. The Terminator world is the fall and rise of humanity (and the rise and fall of Skynet) and it’s told through the eyes of the Connor family.

Anyway, Cameron regains control of the whole thing soon, so lets see what he does?

Principal photography begins today on the as-yet untitled Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them sequel at Warner Bros Studios Leavesden outside London. Along with the main cast from last year’s $814M grossing franchise-starter, and previously announced additions like Jude Law as a young Albus Dumbledore, new faces will turn up in the magical universe, WB said today. The studio also offered details of the story that will see Dumbledore team with his former student Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) to thwart Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp).

–SNIP–

In her second go at scripting, Rowling wrote the screenplay for the film, which opens in 1927, a few months after magizoologist Scamander helped to unveil and capture the infamous Grindelwald in the first installment.

However, the logline reads: “as he promised he would, Grindelwald has made a dramatic escape and has been gathering more followers to his cause — elevating wizards above all non-magical beings. The only one who might be able to stop him is the wizard he once called his dearest friend, Albus Dumbledore. But Dumbledore will need help from the wizard who had thwarted Grindelwald once before, his former student Newt Scamander. The adventure reunites Newt with Tina (Katherine Waterston), Queenie (Alison Sudol) and Jacob (Dan Fogler), but his mission will also test their loyalties as they face new perils in an increasingly dangerous and divided wizarding world.”

–SNIP–

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them was the studio’s best performer of 2016, and proved a successful way to keep the Harry Potter money-making magic alive on screen. The film minted an estimated profit close to $165M.

WB has set a release date of November 16, 2018 for the sequel. No word yet if the scene-stealing Niffler is back.
http://deadline.com/2017/07/fantastic-beasts-sequel-plot-details-cast-shooting-start-harry-potter-jk-rowling-warner-bros-1202123376/

The Niffler did indeed steal all it’s scenes (appropriately enough :slight_smile: ).