millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers - Hollywood Hype

No. Not in the slightest. You didn’t need to correct anything. I knew what you meant but I assumed you’d know that I knew what you were saying. I wasn’t trying to make any point aside from, off the top of my head, here is a list of some films I’d recommend set in the time period discussed and told from the perspective of the Germans (including one mainly French movie that I thought was German even though the clue was right there in the name I guess :slight_smile: ). I only read what Steve said afterwards otherwise I’d have said, in addition to Das Boot the German miniseries released internationally as a movie, here are some other good films.

Although, now that you mention it, The Bridge and Stalingrad are great examples which makes me great at choosing appropriate films. Not just regards films – I’m pretty great in general.

You’re pretty great too, Christian.

You just answered a question I had not asked yet! I liked the theatrical release Das Boot quite a lot. Last week a channel offered Das Boot but in a six-hour slot. Wondered what was going on!

And an article on making it;

While the premise sounds interesting, I’m not sure I want to spend an hour or more watching a movie from a first person perspective.

Granted, I did it for over two hours for this film but it was a bit different:

Hmmm, that trailer gave me the feeling I was getting a sore head. It felt like the perspective was in the complete wrong place for POV. Though It may just be from being a gamer. It really feels infuriatingly off though, which is a pity because I love the idea.

Didn’t Hardcore Henry use the same first-person gimmick very recently? (I seem to remember it didn’t do very well, not necessarily because of that though.)

I don’t think there’s a demand, particularly, for this sort of story telling.

There was an idea a few years ago that games were leading the way and POV was the next big thing.

But games are their own thing. Not just a different genre, a different form of entertainment.

VR is going to be huge but it won’t be cinema and it won’t just be games, it’ll be a range of things, most of which we haven’t even thought about yet.

But cinema (and TV) is it’s own thing too, and while POV has it’s place, it’s only a place.

Yes. I think the technique can work when used sparingly - to give you a sense of seeing through a character’s eyes and experiencing something fantastic. Examples that spring to mind include that Amazing Spider-Man trailer POV sequence, or even the famous Doom scene.

In general though I tend to think that the technique actually serves to have the opposite effect to the one intended: it creates less empathy, not more, because it prevents you from seeing the lead character’s face and reading the body language, and so removes most of the pointers that we pick up on to get an understanding of a character from an empathy standpoint.

We get closer to a protagonist that way than we do by literally seeing through their eyes.

Yeah, it doesn’t make much sense for an entire film except for as an experiment. Obviously, in a game, it’s supposed to allow yourself to imagine that you are character. It can be fun when incorporated in some select scenes in films; I really enjoyed the First Person POV for Spider-Man’s web slinging in the first Amazing Spider-Man film, but I don’t think it has legs further than that in the world of cinema.

That bit doesn’t count.

Edit: just realised my joke is superfluous because Simon’s post already encapsulated the joke. Ah well. :blush:

Except if it’s the one where Hitler’s mad that his BattleTech collection has been sold off without his knowledge.

I enjoy The Fifth Element so I hope that films good, but none of the trailers have done much for me.

To me it looks like it’s missing a strong lead. Cara Delevingne was awful in Suicide Squad and Dana DeHaan has been pretty average in everything I’ve see him in.

But maybe I’m wrong and it’ll be the next big hit like John Carter or Jupiter Ascending…Oh wait!.

Maybe it’s the way the trailers were put together but at no point did the two “leads” stand out in any way. Even when they did appear, they weren’t that memorable.

It surpassed my very low expectations, and really, the most irritating thing about the whole movie wasn’t so much the experience of (as one reviewer put it) “gulping vodka, load in “Grand Theft Auto,” strap the TV to your face and fall down the stairs.” Instead, I was more worn down by the constant (if mostly entertaining) mugging of Sharlto Copley chewing the scenery like something out of Attack on Titan.

Really, he was the star of the show even though ostensibly “Henry” from whose point of view you see the movie was its protagonist.

Nevertheless, in the end, it was much more effective than many other low-rent science fiction films at the time and most videogame adaptations.

Marc Webb already has another movie:

Aaaaaaaaa The Beckingsale.

I’m am in

Man, that looks pretty insufferable.