millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers - Hollywood Hype

Das Boot, Downfall, Stalingrad, Joyeux Noel, The Bridge. The one about The White Rose, but I can’t remember the name.

There have been some excellent German war movies.

Well now I’m offended that you’re offending Robert. :wink:

That’s not allowed.

I’ve only seen a bit of Downfall online. It didn’t seem like my kind of thing. Particularly that bit where Hitler flips out because Agent Coulson is killed off in Avengers . That bit didn’t seem historically accurate to me. :wink:

Oooh. Did Robert claim that DC movies are more historically accurate than Marvel ones because that wouldn’t be fair, but I wouldn’t be offended.

You know the Irish tend to get overlooked in war movies unless all the Americans portrayed are of Irish descent. They should make one about the surrender of the Germans in Derry.

There is a movie on Netflix about the Siege of Jadotville that is pretty good. I keep meaning to read up on the history, but haven’t got around it. But that is basically the Irish army in a base under siege type story.

The Scottish soldier in Wonder Woman was 100% historically accurate.

It’s gonna have to work a bit to be the best movie “about” Dunkirk this year.

I’ve heard “Their Finest” is very good.

Their Finest is very good.

You’re right about the soldier. I thought that was a good way to incorporate shellshock into the narrative without being heavy-handed.

I remember you mentioning it before. Not seen it yet. I read a good account of it a while ago. Can’t recall the name of the book right now. I’ll check for you later.

Yes, I was anxious every time that I thought Spud was in peril.

Doing well at the box office though;

the more interesting tale this weekend is the counter-programming, specifically Lionsgate Code Black/Morgan Creek’s Tupac Shakur biopic All Eyez on Me which has willed itself to existence on the big screen after six years and four director attachments to finally open on the late rapper’s 46th birthday, taking a third place of $31.2M.

Is it The Siege at Jadotville: The Irish Army’s Forgotten Battle? The movie of The Siege of Jadotville is based on it.

How have the reviews been for Cars 3? I’m seeing it either way, I just want to know how apprehensive to be about it. :slight_smile:

I don’t read reviews (not even The Mummy, it was just impossible to escape the howl of derision).

Rotten Tomatoes has ‘Cars 3’ at 65% fresh from critics and 80% approval from the audience.

It’s supposed to be much better than Cars 2, for whatever that’s worth.

Only a few reactions so far (it’s still a month away), but War for the Planet of the Apes is getting good early buzz:

A few clickbaitey headlines I’ve seen are saying “Why CARS 3 is the first true Cars movie worthy to be a Pixar film”…etc

Oh, that sounds promising then.

No. I’ve not read it. The one I’m thinking of included various accounts of UN missions involving Irish soldiers. I’ll remember it when I’m thinking of something else. :slight_smile: Sophie Scholl is the German film about the White Rose! I couldn’t think of the name earlier. Admiral Horton was the guy who gave the order for the Germans to surrender in Derry.

Kennedy’s Ireland, the United Nations and the Congo is very good unless you’re a fan of Conor Cruise O’Brien.

[quote=“Bernadette, post:6763, topic:4917, full:true”]
Das Boot, Downfall, Stalingrad, Joyeux Noel, The Bridge. [/quote]

Ha! I knew I should’ve said “so few” and not been so hyperbolic. Yes, there are exceptions. But even with the movies you mentioned - “Das Boot” was originally a TV miniseries, not a movie (although it was released as a movie internationally afterwards), Downfall I wouldn’t classify as a war movie but as a Hitler biopic [at least not the kind of war movie I was thinking of, where the perspective is the one of the common soldier], and “Sophie Scholl” takes place during the third Reich, but I wouldn’t call it a war movie, either (stories of resistance instead of the soldiers is exactly the kind of movie I meant that was more representative of the discourse here). Joyeux Noel is mainly a French movie (shared production with quite a few countries including Germany, and obviously with some German actors but with a French director).

The Bridge and Stalingrad are great examples, and there are of course a few others (quite a lot from the sixties, if you count TV movies), but we’re talking seventy years of movie history here, and the fact remains that they’re few and far between, compared to how popular a genre this is in other countries.