millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers - Hollywood Hype

The advertising is trying very hard to make this a story everyone can relate to, they’re also pushing the idea that it changed history.

Which, of course, it did. It was a disaster but if it had been a worse disaster then WW2 would’ve been even longer and more horrible than it was.

Or even shorter, though probably more horrible for a lot of people.

I assume it will be like a slightly more grounded film in a similar vein to Pearl Harbor.

Is Pearl Harbor a fairly well known incident in Europe?

Yes, you keep making movies about it :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m honestly not sure how much people are aware of it. I (and all my circle of friends to some degree) have an interest in military history, so I’m not a good example.

We were taught about Pearl Harbour in school, IIRC.

But we were also taught about Dunkirk.

I think in the end the main thing is how compelling the story is. I doubt north American schools teach about William Wallace, I certainly had no idea about it, but Braveheart was a big hit.

They will teach about many US historical incidents that have been disastrous flops at the cinema.

D-Day:War’s over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.

Bluto: What? Over? Did you say “over”? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Otter: Germans?

Boon: Forget it, he’s rolling.

Yes, we know about Pearl Harbour.

The best and most emotional fictional Dunkirk story in my experiance was in Charlie’s War by Pat Mills.

My Great Grandad had to hide in France as a woman but mostly hiding in an attic during that period. He was a drummer boy, (born in 1897, he was around 16) and had to bury his drum. He was captured after about 2 years and was due to be excecuted but they let him go as he was Irish and he ended up getting sent home. His drum is on display in Enniskillen (tho there is no actual proof to say it was his but generally believed that it was). It was sent to British Army at the end of the war then sent on to Northern Ireland. The story is regurgitated in local Derry newspapers every ten or fifteen years.

I’m a history major and I don’t know jack about Dunkirk, although I didn’t focus on WWII or Europe, so there’s that.

I don’t know about Dunkirk, but I can go on at length about Gallipoli; does that count?

What sounds interesting about the Dunkirk movie to me is that Nolan is (once again) placing a focus on time. It seems to be a great meta-theme emerging throughout his filmography.
What Nolan is saying about the film is interesting me in a way that the trailers aren’t.

I know about both Dunkirk and Pearl Harbour, but I think most Germans wouldn’t.

This may be surprising, but overall, in reflecting this period of history, the focus is more on the Nazi’s rise to power and the Holocaust. The battles of WWII are not really a big part of the conversation.

I understand not studying Pearl Harbour much, that was the Japanese vs America but…

Well you guys won Dunkirk. :wink:

That’s actually what I studied in school, we didn’t do the war at all, it was Hitler’s rise to power.

All I know about the second world war comes from TV documentaries pretty much.

We were taught about Dunkirk and Pearl Harbour more because they were important parts of the war - the Allies’ retreat from France and the turning point for the US entry into the war rather than because they were specific battles. We weren’t taught about the Battle of the Bulge or the Somme or anything like that.

I wrote this yesterday on my phone and the more astute of you will have realized that there is a paragraph about Charlie’s War (where I talk about how someone should adapt the First World War stuff, which was fantastic) that is missing, and that my phone is a complete dick.

I also failed to mention Joe Colquhoun (sp?) but that was user error, I was sitting in a traffic jam writing the post.

Wait I’m late to the game here, I made an offensive post in this thread?

Yeah, well… that’s the thing, isn’t it? Normally, when you’ve won, there’s something to celebrate, and when you’ve lost, you can still celebrate the memory of brave soldiers.

Unless it turns out that your country was on the wrong side of history.

So, there are no German war movies, and the TV documentaries here also tend to focus on different things.

There was ‘Das Boot’, which isn’t a “daring escapade” war movie, it’s a “war is hell” war movie. I assume there are others.

But I take what you mean. British films about the empire can get a bit misty eyed at times, but generally they show that Britain trying to rule the world did a lot of harm to the ruled.

All of your posts are offensive. :wink: