millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers - Hollywood Hype

It looks quite good. I like Edgar Wright’s style.

Sony Sets ‘Girl in the Dragon Tattoo’ Sequel for October 2018 Debut

Lisbeth Salander is nearly back.

The titular heroine of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo will return to the big screen in The Girl in the Spider’s Web, hitting theaters on Oct. 5, 2018.

Fede Alvarez is directing the adaptation of David Lagercrantz’s fourth book, which will begin production in the fall and feature an entirely new cast. Alvarez is currently meeting with candidate actresses to play Lisbeth Salander.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sony-sets-girl-dragon-tattoo-sequel-october-2018-debut-985614

It’s a shame about recasting.

I think that was a good, measured response. :slight_smile:

I think there’s a point he could have taken further, he’s having to justify his experiences to say he can grasp the role. How many white actors get asked questions like that? Was there questioning of Leo Dicaprio playing a wall street exec when he is a child star that’s never worked in an office?

I do sympathise with Kaluuya’s position, I was talking to an American friend in London and we both felt we were often made to try and justify having opinions about our home and adopted countries despite being better informed than the majority that stay in one place.

Jackson may have a point of casting British actors for American roles but I think his way of arguing was weak because it’s all make believe.

I think there’s always another layer to this and we have to realize that there is competition for these roles. There may be some other things at play but there is also an element of, “Why didn’t they cast me or one of my friends?”

'Beauty and the Beast’ shelved in Malaysia despite approval

@garjones, what have you done NOW?!?! :wink:

It’s nice that Jackson thinks the UK is a racially harmonious country, but since we’ve just had a spike in hate crime after Brexit, I think he’s been misinformed.

I mean, it’s like Matt Damon or Marky Mark said…I forget which one.
Out of touch man./

Still, against the context of American casting practices, you’ll probably see a lot of African American actors feeling the same way. That Hollywood studios feel safer with non-Americans in African American roles involving interracial relationships.

I sometimes wonder if there is more of an active program of training and casting non-white actors in television and film in the UK and that gives them the roles and exposure that makes actors more attractive to the US productions looking for “fresh faces.”

99.99999% of the people who saw the film will have no idea he’s British. Not even now, after Jackson’s comment (because they’ll have missed it) or his response (because they’ll have missed that too).

There’s no casting scheme that I’m aware of. British actors of all ethnic backgrounds have been playing American characters in American productions for decades, including lead roles;

This is just another actor getting a role because the producers thought he was the right actor to play it.

I think it could also be money. A Brit may be cheaper but do to exchange rates, they make more working in the US.

And simply, producers are searching for a particular “look” and/or “feel” and maybe that non-American just fits the bill.

It’s a cheap movie, but I’m sure they could’ve found an American who was in the budget range.

My feeling is they just cast the movie with the actor that gave them the best audition.

I think you are right.

Still, that doesn’t really settle the question. African Americans have a helluva time getting through Hollywood’s casting process and not being placed into some stereotypical role. Even the best African American actors have a long list of gang members, homeless people, convicts, ex convicts, boxers, criminals, junkies and so on on their resumes. I’m sure there were American actors who could have played the role just as well, and being British certainly would make an impression during the casting process even to other African Americans.

That’s the unanswerable question that I think really gnaws in the minds of many African American actors. Given the history of casting here, when people see their auditions, are they really being seen for their performance or are they already walking into a prejudice casting directors and producers have brought with them that non-Americans don’t have to face?

Can’t really speak to the rest of Hollywood but considering Jordan Peele was behind Get Out, I think he cast based on audition and maybe even being a fan of the actor’s work.

Speaking of Peele:

The irony is that the process is so convoluted and subject to so many external pressures, it is just as likely there were African American actors who gave better auditions and were offered the role, but turned it down for other better paying or more prestigious options. There was no guarantee this film would be a hit or even get made at the time they were casting it.

But Peele is not gonna say “he was really our third choice and we cast him because he was available.” The pretense is that they “chose” to cast him, but the reality is a lot more complicated, so does it really mean anything? The real news is that it was a big hit and even that doesn’t mean we’ll see more movies like it.

This is actually more interesting, though, again, is it perception or reality?

Black British actors have spoken repeatedly about feeling the need to move to the US to get meaningful parts, thanks to the lack of diverse roles in UK film and television. In October, Oyelowo told an audience in London that black people’s experience had been “expunged” from the version of Britain shown onscreen, and he felt he had to leave to get work. “Please stop this talent drain. You have to change the demographics of the people who are making these [casting and commissioning] decisions,” he said.

The London actor Idris Elba, who also made his name playing American characters on US TV, has addressed the British parliament calling for greater diversity in the UK media. Last month, shortly after being awarded his best supporting actor Oscar for Moonlight, Mahershala Ali joked: “I’m just so fortunate that Idris and David Oyelowo left me a job. It was very, very kind of them.”

My perception of BBC shows and British films is they have more diversity in the casting, but I also have to say, except for Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrells, I really have no idea of what the Black British experience is. The closest I’ve seen to a movie about that is BELLE. I haven’t seen A UNITED KINGDOM, though. It almost seemed like a mirror image of LOVING (also with two American characters played by non-Americans).