millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers 2 - The Sequel

I agree. Something about that trailer makes me feel uncomfortable, in the sense of such a tragic recent event being used as the basis for what is made to look like a fairly conventional thriller.

I don’t know how fictionalised it is.

History has too many people who are violent, selfish, self-righteous and destructive. We shouldn’t mythologise them, we should de-mythologise them in fact, but that means we have to confront them through many different means, and docudrama is one of them.

Greengrass has been pretty good so far. Until he messes something like his up I’m willing to give him the chance to do a good job here.

Breivik was acting alone, but he wasn’t a unique personality type.

And Norway’s response to his atrocity deserves to be remembered too.

I don’t disagree and I’m not opposed to it on principle. There’s a line though, a point at which sincere docudramas cross over and feel exploitative and inappropriate, and it’s not always easy to tell which ones will be which.

The tone of that trailer feels a bit too sensational to me, as though it might cheapen the event itself. But it’s only a trailer, and the full film may not feel the same.

I think the man who made ‘United 93’ earns some open-mindedness to his approach to this real event.

And I genuinely don’t think it looks sensational.

It looks like an examination of the event through it’s aftermath. Not just what happened, but what that meant to the people most directly affected by it.

Obviously, I had the same reaction to the trailer as Dave, but it’s certainly fair to give Greengrass the benefit of the doubt.

I think Glen Powell has reached a level where people can use his name now. And I’d imagine more people would know him from Set it Up than Scream Queens, a show I watched an entire season of but barely remember existed.

Bah, Scream Queens was his “Evil Dead” in terms of personality breakthrough.
I say it should be checked as he come up in the world.

But wow - neat that he’s writing that.

In less-good Shane Black news:

LA Times is blocked in the EU, but here’s some of the text:

Twentieth Century Fox was just days away from locking picture on “The Predator” when an urgent note came in: Delete the scene featuring Steven Wilder Striegel.

Striegel, 47, didn’t have a big role in his longtime friend Shane Black’s reboot of the sci-fi thriller — just a three-page scene shared with actress Olivia Munn.

But last month, Munn learned that Striegel is a registered sex offender who pleaded guilty in 2010 after facing allegations that he attempted to lure a 14-year-old female into a sexual relationship via the internet. When Munn shared the information with Fox on Aug. 15, studio executives quickly decided to excise him from the movie.

“Our studio was not aware of Mr. Striegel’s background when he was hired,” a Fox spokesperson said in a statement to The Times. “We were not aware of his background during the casting process due to legal limitations that impede studios from running background checks on actors.”

Black, however, has always known.

Striegel, an actor who’d appeared on “Days of Our Lives” and “Melrose Place,” first met Black when he was invited to the “Lethal Weapon” screenwriter’s home by a mutual friend for pizza and a movie. When Wilder was arrested in 2009, the two had been friends for five years.

I personally chose to help a friend. I can understand others might disapprove, as his conviction was on a sensitive charge and not to be taken lightly.

Striegel served six months in jail after pleading guilty to two felonies — risk of injury to a child and enticing a minor by computer. The first role he landed after his release was in Black’s 2013 film, “Iron Man 3.” Three years later, he got another part in one of the filmmaker’s projects, the crime caper “The Nice Guys.” In 2016, Black told GQ that he was planning to produce a heist film “by my friend Steve Wilder.”

Black defended his decision to cast Striegel in a small part in “The Predator” as a jogger who repeatedly hits on Munn’s character.

“I personally chose to help a friend,” Black said in a written statement to The Times. “I can understand others might disapprove, as his conviction was on a sensitive charge and not to be taken lightly.”

But he said he has long believed that Striegel was “caught up in a bad situation versus something lecherous.”

Munn said she found it “both surprising and unsettling that Shane Black, our director, did not share this information to the cast, crew, or Fox Studios prior to, during, or after production.”

“However,” she continued, “I am relieved that when Fox finally did receive the information, the studio took appropriate action by deleting the scene featuring Wilder prior to release of the film.”

More here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:UQFGq9ENiH8J:www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-the-predator-shane-black-steven-wilder-striegel-20180906-story.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=firefox-b

I must say, that looks fantastic. Probably the movie I’m most looking forward to this year…!

I’m paying to see The Predator…Not a predator.

“Film pitch… Trump drugged and moved to a replica White House, where he carries on thinking he’s governing. Millions spent on hiring actors to play his staff, Senators, news anchors, people at rallies. There you go. Studios, your highest bid please,” Iannucci wrote on the social media site.

The idea, which Iannucci decided should be called Fake America Great Again , thanks to one of his followers, soon snowballed. Veep and Seinfeld star Julia Louis-Dreyfus responded that she would be on board, while Catastrophe co-creator and star Rob Delaney similarly got involved.

“Er…looks like Hollywood’s interested. Now what do we do?,” Iannucci added. Make the movie, Armando, it seems.

Yeah, I think I would pass on that.

I’d watch anything he made to be fair :joy:

I think it would be a great use of tax payers money.