millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Movie News and Trailers 2 - The Sequel

Per the play’s online synopsis, the cleaning lady, Helen, is “particularly drawn to a dolphin.”

Does Helen have sex with the dolphin?

Ironically, UNBREAKABLE would have probably done a lot better at the box office if they hadn’t kept the basic premise a mystery. Like Tarantino once said, the movie is easy to sum up in one sentence “What if Superman really existed in our world, and he didn’t know he was Superman?”

However, Shyamalan at Comic Con said the studio did not want to associate the movie with comic books or superheroes in the marketing.

“I was on a conference call with the studio, and they were saying we can’t mention the word ‘comic books’ or ‘superheroes’ because it’s too fringe,” Shyamalan told the crowd at Comic-Con International’s Hall H on Friday. They didn’t want to, he continued, attract “‘those people that go to those conventions’—that was literally a quote.”

Considering this was back in 2000, that makes a lot of sense. It was before Spider-Man, Batman Begins and Iron Man. Even the second X-men movie hadn’t come out yet, and the first one wasn’t a huge hit. Up to that point it was just X-men and, sorta, the Matrix. Neither one of those was obviously a Superhero movie in the current sense.

It’s weird to think that Unbreakable came out before Lord of the Rings. It doesn’t seem that long ago, but at heart it was a 90’s independent movie.

It is interesting to compare Punch Drunk Love and Unbreakable. In a way, Punch Drunk Love is a Superman story where Clark Kent doesn’t know he’s Superman.

Also, I wonder if we’ll see any of these ideas in Glass.

Patton Oswalt

God I hope not

Some of those were interesting ideas. It does seem like there were ideas set up in the background that could lead to later stories.

Originally, Kevin and his Horde in Split was supposed to be the villain Dunn faces at the end of Unbreakable, but he just couldn’t work it out without the movie being two hours longer. When Shyamalan was promoting DEVIL(vator), he mentioned the third film in the Night Chronicles series was going to be an indirect sequel to UNBREAKABLE, and I think that was probably his first draft of SPLIT,

I cannibalized the idea for the sequel to ‘Unbreakable’ for one of the Night Chronicles…It was such a cool idea for a villain, and it was actually originally in the script for ‘Unbreakable,’ and it was too much…There were too many villains, so I pulled this villain out and was like, ‘I’ll make this the second flick.’…I fleshed it out more and more, and thought, ‘This could be a standalone movie.’

I’ll just say it: the third ‘Night Chronicles’ movie is what would have been the sequel [to ‘Unbreakable’].

I’m glad Devil did so poorly or Split might’ve just been a dud.

All animals are perverts.

It is interesting in these cases, that the similarities are precisely the reason that I don’t think there was any copying. Gaiman made that point when people pointed to the similarities between Books of Magic and Harry Potter. He said that the things that were the same in the characters were what anyone copying him would have changed.

If you were actually copying the same story, you damn sure would have changed the main character’s name.

Besides, it’s so evidently ripping off Creature from the Black Lagoon, it would be ludicrous to copy a play on top of that.

Obligatory toast reference…

:joy::joy::joy:

They immediately disqualify this video by starting it with Veronica, which is a fairly generic haunting movie that anyone who’s seen Insidious or The Conjuring won’t find scary.

They disqualify themselves from the opening montage showing “Mother!”.
What a bore.

She was supposed to be doing Silver & Black for Sony.

Anyone read the comic? I like Rucka, but this one passed me by.

Still a shame his Popeye fell apart. I’m glad he’s getting to make movies he hopefully wants to though.

I wasn’t crazy about it honestly. I usually like Leandro Fernandez’s art but it was too exaggerated in this one.

Not going to lie - them Hotel Transylvania movies are the only things he’s done that I’ve consistently enjoyed.

Stoned Alone is reminiscent of that hallowed comedy classic. It centers around a twenty-something weed growing loser who misses the plane for his holiday ski trip. He makes the best of things by getting high. Paranoia sets in and he believes he hears someone break into his house. Turns out thieves have broken in. Fully stoned and fueled by paranoia, he tries to thwart the thieves and defend his castle.

“Fully stoned and fuelled by nostalgia, he writes a screenplay”

Yeah, it’s pretty decent but not the best of Rucka’s current work (Lazarus and Black Magick are much better). The concept is pretty good for a show though, a small group of people around the world that are nearly immortal - they can die but live hundreds of years and the mystery at the fairly early stage of the story is why they are picked and why it seems to randomly stop at some point.

That’s how a lot of them are written I think.

I read the first issue then dropped it. It didn’t grab me. It felt weak compared to some of Rucka’s other work.

Sounds like they need to bring in Macaulay Culkin to play the main character. :wink: